Supplementary braking systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prices are available online and by phone. Often, it's a matter of what will work with your toad, and price becomes almost irrelevant when safety is the issue.

I have used the RVi2 for two years, with no problems. The response is excellent, setup is fast - installed their battery charger - no worries with running down the toad battery.
Russ

RedandSilver said:
Of all the replies, and not one mention of price on any of the units talked about?

It would be nice to know what units cost what - so that a better understanding
of what it takes to tow a vehicle can be decided.

Neither of my vehicles can be towed (4 down) but I maybe in the market sometime in the future.

Supplemental braking systems run about $500-$1500, depending on which make/model and accessories best fits your needs and where you buy it. The M&G system for example, runs about $650 if your motorhome has air brakes, or about $1000 for hydraulic brakes. None of those prices include professional installation that can add a couple of hundred more to the price.

Thanks to Dutch for the price range; It's been too many years since I shopped for a toad braking system, so I had no clue what they cost today. I'd have to look online &/or make phone calls.

[quote author=Tom]Often, it's a matter of what will work with your toad, and price becomes almost irrelevant when safety is the issue.[/quote]

This might have come across in a way that was not intended. I was trying to say that, if some systems won't work with your toad &/or your coach, you may not be able to shop on price alone.

When I first set up our Suburban as a toad, I purchased one of the "brake in a box" systems that sit on the floor of the car. It was near the upper end of Dutch's price range, but it turned out to be a nightmare (long story), and I eventually returned it for a refund. I decided to go with the M&G system which didn't have the hassles and has worked reliably for 12 years; It was significantly cheaper than the system I returned.

[quote author=RedandSilver]... so that a better understanding of what it takes to tow a vehicle can be decided.[/quote]

And the auxiliary brake is only a part of that cost. You'd also need to figure in the cost of a tow bar, baseplate (for the toad), and lighting hookup. There are too many variables to quote prices, especially since you don't yet know what you'll be towing (baseplates are unique to makes/models of cars). A good place to browse prices is the PPL Motorhomes web site.

Most of the towing systems can be installed by the owner, but may take some mechanical &/or electrical skills. I saved quite a bit on installation costs, but sometimes wished I'd paid someone. Another potential for saving significant $$ is to buy used. We periodically see bake systems &/or baseplates &/or towbars show up on our Private for-sale & wanted board.

RedandSilver said:
Of all the replies, and not one mention of price on any of the units talked about?

It would be nice to know what units cost what - so that a better understanding
of what it takes to tow a vehicle can be decided.
Tom's right... there are just too many variables to give you an accurate price. For example, when we had my wife's Acura set up to flat-tow, it cost $3100.00. That included the baseplate ($500.00) the wiring harness, RVi 2 auxiliary braking system ($1300.00) plus installation costs (It took a full day to install everything) plus some odds and ends of parts. We already had the Blue Ox tow bar, but had we also had to buy that, it would have added about $700.00.

On the other hand, I'm setting up our Jeep to flat-tow, and doing the work myself, because it's far simpler than the Acura. I don't need a baseplate, because there are towing brackets available that bolt to our after-market bumper, we already have the auxiliary brake and tow bar, and there are wiring kits for Jeeps that are much less expensive and easier to install than the Acura's. In the end, I figure it'll cost me an additional $250.00 to set the Jeep up to tow.

Kev

September of 2012 in Canada, so Canadian dollars it cost me $3800, for
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Base Plate,
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System
All installed by Honda in our 2012 CRV

Cheers.

I have the RVI2 brake and works great and I like the compactness of it. Easy to put in because of size and easy to set up.

wstuart said:
September of 2012 in Canada, so Canadian dollars it cost me $3800, for
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Base Plate,
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System
All installed by Honda in our 2012 CRV

Cheers.
We got our Blue Ox equipment at the Hershey RV Show. Paid $2,700. USD.

10,000 lbs tow bar, planning on towing a 8,000 lbs truck in the furture
Base plate, I installed the base plates on our Jeep Grand Cherokee
Patriot brake system
Wiring harness, I installed the wiring harness
Accessories

We went with the SMI Air Force One system for our rig.  Hard to imagine anything being any easier to hook and/or unhook once it's installed.  it wasn't the cheapest system out there - but we're very happy with it's performance.

We like the simplicity of the ReadyBrake system with no electronics and few moving parts. Hooking up only takes snapping a clip on a cable eye. The lower cost is a plus as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom