Refridgerator replacement and Exterior Access Panel Sealing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Grape

Hello all. I replaced my NORCOLD fridge with a residential one. I have been trying to figure out how to close off the exterior vent door for the fridge. The AC escapes out the vent part of the panel.I tried spray foam but that just made a mess. Anyone out there figure out a good way to seal it off?

Old Grape said:
Hello all. I replaced my NORCOLD fridge with a residential one. I have been trying to figure out how to close off the exterior vent door for the fridge. The AC escapes out the vent part of the panel.I tried spray foam but that just made a mess. Anyone out there figure out a good way to seal it off?

I also just replaced my fridge. My coil in on the back of the fridge which is good because I insulated the top, bottom and sides with fiberglass insulation. This stopped any air from entering the RV around the outside of the fridge.  Originally when I was thinking about install a residential fridge, I was planning on blocking up the 2 outside doors because I expected the compressor and coil to be under the fridge and any heat will go inside the RV. Having the coil on the back worked out better for me. I did not block the doors because I need to have air to cool the coils. 

Is your coil on the backside or under the fridge?

I had closed/sealed up the doors before I found the model fridge I have. I got some strips of thin sheet metal about 3" wide by whatever length I need it. I bent them 90 degrees lengthwise in the middle. Then using caulking, I stuck them over the vent holes of the door. Once it cured, I ran caulking around the entire perimeter of the sheet metal so there was no way water or air could get in. Then I took strips of fiberglass and using spray contact cement/glue, stuck these strips of fiberglass down between the sheet metal covering the vents.
I also built a wall just inside the vent cover with some luan I had and it was portable. I wanted to still have access to the backside of the fridge if need be. I then cut some fiberglass insulation which was going to go between the luan wall/door and the exterior vent door.
Gary Brink did the same thing and he had a picture showing what he did. Hopefully he can provide these picture for you. 

I used a light duty aluminum flashing to close the many holes in the side vent. Basically I just cut to fit and folded it over each of the three rows of vent holes and then sealed it in place with military grade "100 mph hour" tape. Eternabond tape would probably work well too. Another method is to use self-stick flashing tape, available in home centers and hardware stores.

You also want to seal off the roof vent, if that's your upper vent (fridge not mounted in a slideout). Remove the cover and apply flashing or tape to the opening, then replace the cover.

Back
Top Bottom