EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Adding electical cable hatch/port  (Read 949 times)

StephenM

Adding electical cable hatch/port
« on: October 22, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
Looking to add an electical cable hatch/port to the underside of a moulded plastic storage compartment.

Looking to find out how hard it is is is to do, do I just need to drill a hole and add the port?

It's for two 10 awg cables for a potable solar setup.

StephenM

Re: Adding electical cable hatch/port
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:59:42 PM »
I am looking for something thats similar this photo of whats in in my electrical bay. I can find products that will do just, want some help on mounting it.

cobra 1

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:40:30 AM »
You just need to cut a hole in the storage compartment large enough for the new hatch cover to mount to it, then seal it up real good to prevent water leaks.

It should be a real easy job to do.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 07:01:23 AM »
If you have room to get a drill and a hole saw in there, it's a pretty easy job. Basically drill the hole and install the hatch, which typically is typically just held in place with screws.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

StephenM

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:55:20 AM »
That's great, I do have plenty of space.

I don't have a hole saw but it will invest in one.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 08:02:13 AM »
If it's a large hatch, e.g. 5-6", a jig saw works well enough, but for a cable hatch (3"?) a hole saw on a drill is the easiest.  If it's a one-time use, cheap tool stores like Harbor Freight have adequate hole saw sets that are inexpensive. Lowes, Depot, Sears and hardware stores sell somewhat better stuff.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

StephenM

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
Hi Gary,

I just ordered a 5 inch round hatch

I say I will either borrow or purchase a hole saw kit as don't want to botch up using a jig saw.

That's me on the right track anyways.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 04:14:22 PM »
Be aware that kind of a hatch isn't water tight.  You can seal around the lip of the hatch, but there's no way to completely seal the lid and especially the sliding latch that covers where the wire passes through.

I'd be especially careful about mounting one in an area that's subject to road splash - and that's practically every side of an underbody storage compartment.

I have an equivilent marine hatch in the bottom of my wet bay - the difference is the hatch unscrews from the rim and makes a watertight seal when it's in place.

http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/whthinhaov5i1.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=whthinhaov5i1&gclid=CJuZ4sns8c8CFUFufgoda7QPeg
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:17:52 PM by Lou Schneider »

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
Be aware that kind of a hatch isn't water tight.  You can seal around the lip of the hatch, but there's no way to completely seal the lid and especially the sliding latch that covers where the wire passes through.

I'd be especially careful about mounting one in an area that's subject to road splash - and that's practically every side of an underbody storage compartment.

I have an equivilent marine hatch in the bottom of my wet bay - the difference is the hatch unscrews from the rim and makes a watertight seal when it's in place.

http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/whthinhaov5i1.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=whthinhaov5i1&gclid=CJuZ4sns8c8CFUFufgoda7QPeg

The OP wants to insert 2 electrical wires in the area, he does'nt want mouses and others...  in that compartment !
Your option is good for a sewer hose... not 2 wires !
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

StephenM

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 05:04:31 PM »
Ordered a hole saw kit for 12$ on Amazon.

I definitely don't want any extra baggage coming through the hatch.

The rig is off to storage on Friday so was looking to get it done this week.

That's all my upgrades completed :-)

Hosted by Over The Network