Adding electical cable hatch/port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

StephenM

Looking to add an electical cable hatch/port to the underside of a moulded plastic storage compartment.

Looking to find out how hard it is is is to do, do I just need to drill a hole and add the port?

It's for two 10 awg cables for a potable solar setup.

I am looking for something thats similar this photo of whats in in my electrical bay. I can find products that will do just, want some help on mounting it.

Attachments

• 2016-10-22 22.18.45.jpg
    2016-10-22 22.18.45.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 50
You just need to cut a hole in the storage compartment large enough for the new hatch cover to mount to it, then seal it up real good to prevent water leaks.

It should be a real easy job to do.

If you have room to get a drill and a hole saw in there, it's a pretty easy job. Basically drill the hole and install the hatch, which typically is typically just held in place with screws.

That's great, I do have plenty of space.

I don't have a hole saw but it will invest in one.

If it's a large hatch, e.g. 5-6", a jig saw works well enough, but for a cable hatch (3"?) a hole saw on a drill is the easiest.  If it's a one-time use, cheap tool stores like Harbor Freight have adequate hole saw sets that are inexpensive. Lowes, Depot, Sears and hardware stores sell somewhat better stuff.

Hi Gary,

I just ordered a 5 inch round hatch

I say I will either borrow or purchase a hole saw kit as don't want to botch up using a jig saw.

That's me on the right track anyways.

Be aware that kind of a hatch isn't water tight.  You can seal around the lip of the hatch, but there's no way to completely seal the lid and especially the sliding latch that covers where the wire passes through.

I'd be especially careful about mounting one in an area that's subject to road splash - and that's practically every side of an underbody storage compartment.

I have an equivilent marine hatch in the bottom of my wet bay - the difference is the hatch unscrews from the rim and makes a watertight seal when it's in place.

http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/whthinhaov5i1.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=whthinhaov5i1&gclid=CJuZ4sns8c8CFUFufgoda7QPeg

Lou Schneider said:
Be aware that kind of a hatch isn't water tight.  You can seal around the lip of the hatch, but there's no way to completely seal the lid and especially the sliding latch that covers where the wire passes through.

I'd be especially careful about mounting one in an area that's subject to road splash - and that's practically every side of an underbody storage compartment.

I have an equivilent marine hatch in the bottom of my wet bay - the difference is the hatch unscrews from the rim and makes a watertight seal when it's in place.

http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/whthinhaov5i1.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=whthinhaov5i1&gclid=CJuZ4sns8c8CFUFufgoda7QPeg

The OP wants to insert 2 electrical wires in the area, he does'nt want mouses and others...  in that compartment !
Your option is good for a sewer hose... not 2 wires !

Ordered a hole saw kit for 12$ on Amazon.

I definitely don't want any extra baggage coming through the hatch.

The rig is off to storage on Friday so was looking to get it done this week.

That's all my upgrades completed :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom