Nervous in Naples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

parrotmom

Looking at an 03 Holiday Rambler Vacationer, gas, Onan 5.0, 26,000 miles, asking $88k. Second owner bought unit w/ 23,500 mi on 10.27.05 in Punta Gorda, FL for $77.87k. Over the 72 weeks seller owned the HR he put only 2,500 mi on it. The cosmetic condition of the RV interior is poor. There are no organized records of anything. The are no maintenance or repair records other than a few bills for repair work (clogged septic, flooded furnace, oil seal in genset). Hackles are raised on my neck.

I lived aboard large yacht full time for 13 years, so I know the need and pluses for running a first rate ship. I'm handy and semi-fearless. This is not a first rate land yacht. Nervous about lack of mechanical and system maintenance. I think the owner bought the RV just after a hurricane and lived in it full time for over a year. Cosmetics I can deal with, but my nervousness is about the systems. There is a warranty (Nat'l Warranty of Florida) but it says unit must be maintained in accordance with mfg specs, and maintenance records kept. Could the warranty have been voided?

What's my best move? Obviously the price is crazy, it's not worth $10 more now than when it was bought. How can I know if National Warranty will accept coverage? What's a fair discount for replacement of system component failure? Is there a way for the drive train to be checked? Should I walk and not look back?

Can't wait to hear what you pros have to say.

Go to NadaGuides and you can get the actual value of the motorhome.  Use low wholesale as a maximum if you actually do make an offer.  However, his asking $10k more than he paid for it is a hint that perhaps he won't deal too much.  You didn't say which model Vacationer, but I just looked up the top vacationer at Nadaguides, and it's worth about $55k at low retail.

As for the warranty, it very well could deny coverage if the failed part cannot be proved to have been maintained according to the manufacturer's requirements.

In my opinion, I would keep looking.

The price is ridiculous, even as an opening "asking" price. Even if it was in like new condition.  Don't even consider this one - there are lots of used motorhomes in excellent condition out there, both on dealer lots and private sales.

One way to locate them and filter out those that appeal to you is via online RV search sites such as rvtrader.com, reclassified.com, rvsearch.com, etc.

The "warranty" on this one is merely a service contract, basically an insurance policy that covers the cost of repairs. It's possible they might try to slip out from under some engine mechanical repair on the basis if inadequate maintenance, but its not a common thing. 

Run Run Run and don't look back.  To me  25 to 30K under low book if it's that bad.  Lots of nice units out there for that kind of money.

Regardless of the price, that sounds like a vehicle with flood damage to me.  I'd find another one.

Some of the extended warranties are basically hogwash.  They'll try any ploy to keep from paying and if there are no maintenance records, you probably wouldn't have a snowball's chance in you-know-where of getting paid for warranty work.  Personally, I'd run the other way.  There are plenty of well-maintained coaches out there WITH records so my advice is to hold out for one of them.

ArdraF

Parrot Head ?? 

I live in Ft. Myers. Bought a 2000 Coachman 32 Ft. in excellent condition. 34,000 miles. Inside looks like brand new. This coach was garaged kept.

I paid $27,400 for it at "Mark"s RV. Give them a call and ask for Jason. Nice kid, very helpful and was not pushie.  Mark's is just south of the River off I-75. Not too far from you.

I think we got a good deal.

Thanks, folks, one and all. Took your sage advice & bought 2000 diesel Dutch Star. Things have a way of working out. No more help needed with this.

Back
Top Bottom