can't find the "Stupid things I've done thread " so starting a new one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

I know there's a thread with a bunch of stories of dumb things we've we've done while working on our RVs but I can't find it.
Figured I bettter share this one..(not sure why :-[)

So...since we bought this travel trailer,my wife has wanted to put a water inlet with a locking door on it.
The trailer is parked next to an alley where she feels someone could walk by and drop something into the tank.
After almost two years I finally got around to ordering one to make her happy.

Started the installation and realized the new unit is about 1/2 " taller than the old one. No problem,I've got a sawzall..
Looked and didn't see anything behind the wall that could be cut.
Started the cut,saw a couple little sparks.I'm cutting tin,right? Maybe expect a spark or two. 8)

Until I got done and realized I just cut through my wiring harness  :eek:

So I spent the rest of the afternoon repairing all the wires,replacing fuses and checking to make sure everything was working right again. ::)

I don't know how I missed the wires when I looked,but I some how turned a 30 minute project into an all afternoon project. :mad:

Yeah, I know. :'(  I replaced ours then the left brake/turn didn't work, I must have hit the wire with a screw. Rather than open things up and create a major repair, I ran a wire from the junction box, zip tied it to the frame then to the light covering the exposed portion with silicone. Hey, it ain't pretty but it works. ;D

I've made a mistake or two....

Show me somebody who has never made a mistake and I'll show you someone who never does anything.

Criticism is easier than craftsmanship.

This spring we sold our MH and bought a TT for our seasonal site. The MH had be parked on gravel for 1 year at the site. So I made sure everything was ready on the MH to make the 180 mile trek to our house.
I started the MH and let it idle for 5-10 mins, all was good. I put it in drive, and felt the trans kick in, all good so far. I give it a little throttle and feel the MH pull, but it wouldn't move. Ok, the tires settled in the gravel a little I figure. Its a V-10 gas so I figure I need to give some gas. No go. So pretty soon Im holding the ol girl WOT and its not moving. Forward or backward. Im thinking, what a POS.
So I leave it run in park and go talk to a friend about using my diesel pickup to help pull me out. He agrees to help.
I go back and get into the MH. I sit down into the driver seat and just happen to look down at the dash and see the PARKING BRAKE LIGHT ON!
I release the parking brake and put the MH in drive and easily drive it out of its spot.

I felt like a idiot. Im a 42 year old male that maintains and repairs all of my own vehicles, engines, toys, etc.  I should have known better.
Anyway, we all had a good laugh at my expense that day.

Went to leave one day and rig would not start, not even a "Click".
Got out, looked under the hood and yup everything was still there and seemed to be in the right place.
Poked and banged a few things, looked for the starter and solenoid, yup right were they should be.
Went back in cab to try again.......Somehow in was in second gear?????  Put it in park and no problem.

Cheers.

We were in a hurry a couple months ago and wanted to hook up our Toyahauler the night before.  It was already almost dark and I managed to lift front of the trailer up pretty high but forgot to bring up the stabilizer jacks in the back.  Tires were off the ground.  Fortunately our trailer is pretty light (2970 dry pounds) so the scissor jacks held pretty well.  The was probably some flex in the frame since the gray tank drain line came loose.  No other damage and we have camped since with no problems.

wstuart said:
Went to leave one day and rig would not start, not even a "Click".
Got out, looked under the hood and yup everything was still there and seemed to be in the right place.
Poked and banged a few things, looked for the starter and solenoid, yup right were they should be.
Went back in cab to try again.......Somehow in was in second gear?????  Put it in park and no problem.

Cheers.
My wife did something similar once. She stopped at a rest
area in the car.When she came back it wouldn't start. I was at work in Alaska ,but she called me.anyway. I advised her to call a shop 30 miles away that had a tow truck. The truck came,put the car in park ,started it and charged us 75 bucks!

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
My wife did something similar once. She stopped at a rest
area in the car.When she came back it wouldn't start. I was at work in Alaska ,but she called me.anyway. I advised her to call a shop 30 miles away that had a tow truck. The truck came,put the car in park ,started it and charged us 75 bucks!

I used to be the motor home tech at a Chevy dealer in SoCal.  Had a guy with a brand new coach call and have his coach towed in because they'd come out in the morning and all the batteries were dead.  As I walked out to the coach to fill out a work order I noticed that the battery disconnect lights were off.  Hit the switches and the lights came on.  Owner was in the driver's seat dealing with the tow driver.  Told him to try and start the coach.  Of course, it lit right off.
His wife had noticed the lights the previous evening and hit the switches to turn off the lights without knowing what she did. 
I crawled under and hooked his driveline back up with no charge, but couldn't help him with the tow bill.

Back
Top Bottom