One Wifi Antenna, Two Computers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

one Wifi antenna with usb plug
two computers

One is a dell laptop, other is Lenovo laptop
both are running different versions of Windows 7

Neither can reach the current Wifi without the external antenna which only services one computer at time.

Antenna plugs in by way of USB.

Is it possible to network 2 computers so that one computer is getting Wifi from the other computer's internet connection?

One item that I'm using since 2015 is this product:
http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER/Long-Range-WiFi-Repeater-Kit-for-RVs.html
Once the antenna and the router installed, connect one of your computers to the router and configure the rooter to connect to the provided campsite "WI-FI"; then give your router a name with its own password; while the router gives you the signal strenght, disconnect your computer from the router, With any of your devices, find your router's "Wi-FI", connect to it with your personnal password and out you go and do the same with your other devices.
In the future, on other facilities with a different "WI-FI", just reconfigure the router to connect to the provided campsite "WI-FI"

In theory you can indeed set one computer up as a "host" and bridge the connections (Ad-Hoc Connection as I recall)

In practice. I've never been able to do it.

HOWEVER there is hope.. I am sitting here watching a REPLAYTV, which is connected to the internet, In the back of the RV is a 2nd REPLAY, and a Server that has to do with the REplay.. all are connected to the internet.. More later on what they do with the net.
I'm typing on a Laptop and anotehr net to me is crusing Publisher's clearing house
My phone is internet connected as is my tablet and a wireless printer.

ALL VIA ONE WI-FI ADAPTER  One "ANTENNA" if you like.

Two ways to do it,, Since I've been doing it a long time I do it the "hard way" which I wont' describe because today there are easier ways.

Wi Fi Ranger.. This is a 2 part system... the "Antenna" goes outside the RV, up a pole on the roof, wherever it needs to be to get a clear shot at the router, You can even mount it in place of the feed horn on a Sat Antenna dish and with proper aiming ... Well, I have no idea what the range will be.

www.amateurlogic.tv  Current episode (Today is 10/25/2016,,, the episode was released last week I think) shows how it's done.

Episode 3 shows how they built the can-tenna

The "indoor" unit is a wi-fi Router so you can connect multiple devices.

Also in the RV, I have a 2nd path to the park's Wi-Fi.
A TP link TL-MR3040 "repeater"/many function device
This device can act as a one piece repeater, letting me make one connection to the park but many connections to its internal router..

OR: it can take a USB stick be it cellular or Wi-Fi

OR, it can take a cat 5 Feed from another device

Or it can FEED another device via Cat5

It is currently in repeater mode, only thing plugged in is the power cord.  I sometimes use it when my primary path is acting wonky (It's old and showing it's age)

The Replays (i promised more) Originally they got their program guides from the Internet, set the clock and a few other thigns, Alas DirecTV bought ReplayTV and promptly killed it off, they wanted the award winning interface for theire DVR's (Dish DVR's are based on the Replay by the way) so they bought it. Orignal Direc was based on TiVo

Today the Replays only look to the internet for the Time setting.  Everythign else they get from the Server computer here in the motor home.. IT gets the program guides from the internet and if a software update is needed I get than and manually iniatite the update.

I can also use the local net to program the devices to record shows and such, download programming to the server and then to any device in the hosue, All sorts of thigns.  But they don't do Wi-Fi.

John From Detroit said:
Wi Fi Ranger.. This is a 2 part system... the "Antenna" goes outside the RV, up a pole on the roof, wherever it needs to be to get a clear shot at the router, You can even mount it in place of the feed horn on a Sat Antenna dish and with proper aiming ... Well, I have no idea what the range will be.

With all due respect this is an incorrect description of a "2-part" WiFiRanger system.  All WiFiRanger devices are complete standalone routers capable of working on their own.  There are no "rooftop antennas".  A WiFiRanger "system" can consist of either an indoor router operating on its own, a rooftop unit operating by itself, or a rooftop router slaved to an indoor one.  Each of the three system configurations have their own performance and cost/benefit tradeoffs.

But the simplest system, with just an indoor router, will do what the OP wants in that, even without an external antenna, it provides a far stronger transmitter for communicating with a wireless access point and its receiving antenna has higher gain than what is built into most laptops.  Often the problem with connecting to park wifi is not an inability to receive a signal from an access point but an inability to transmit back to it.

I am a roving WiFiRanger ambassador to the RV community.  I am making this post to clarify a previous post not as an effort to sell products.  Anyone with questions about WiFiRanger products is welcome to PM me.

Joel (AKA docj)

Yes, at the cost of doubling her wifi footprint.  This may be OK if only a few people are trying to use wifi in the park, but it's very selfish if there are many others trying to share the system.

The park I'm in now has spent several tens of thousands of dollars installing a state of the art, fiber fed wifi system for their overnight guests.  Most of the time you can't even see it, let alone connect to it due to the wifi spectrum being completely saturated by private wifi hotspots.  The local cable company came through the park shortly after the owner installed this system and offered a killer deal on hot spot enabled cable modems.

I got one for myself, then turned off the hot spot and ran Cat6 cable to my PCs when I saw what it was doing to the spectrum.  My neighbor is running 4 different private SSIDs on separate channels just because he can.

I've been in several parks where they reset the router (probably wrong term) but basically it kicks EVERYBODY off every 4 hours or so. Each device has to be manually logged back in to access wifi again.

This is especially handy if someone has dialed into youtube or somewhere that just keeps playing videos nonstop even though the person has wondered off to do something else. 

It seems every program these days is designed to run off the internet rather than have an option to  run offline. My wonderful offline dictionary and thesaurus ran perfectly through numerous windows upgrades for many years, I moved it from laptop to laptop, then POOF one day windows updated and destroyed the program and I've never been able to get that awesome offline program to ever work again.

There are many places I go where I don't have Park  wifi, but I have my own super slow mifi with virgin mobile that is always accusing me of  using up all the bandwidth when I don't even use it for videos at all, I just use it to pay the bills, and read the email.  But so many webpages want to play instant videos when all i want to do is old fashioned reading. Even the banks now want to jazz up their websites with all sort of foolishness, I just want the facts, I don't need ridiculous videos every time I want to check the bank to make sure I wasn't robbed lately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom