Brand new to renovation - How to prep trailer AC for pets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katammers

Hi everyone! Lurker, first time poster. I just purchased a 1997 Areolite Seven as a small renovation project to hopefully be used as long-term travel. My concern right now is that I have two cats. Currently the AC runs off shore power or I will need a generator. This is fine for me but when I am out of the trailer I do not want my cats to overheat in the summer and I may not always be on shore power.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Do you just run your generator 24/7? Would it be worthwhile to convert the trailer to solar?

Appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks!

I full time it with three cats. You really don't have anything to worry about unless you are going to be parking in Las Vegas in the summertime. Domestic cats are descendants of African Wild Cats from the Sahara Desert region and cats love hot weather. 

Much depends on where you go. We travel with cats in a travel trailer too. The cats stay in our tow vehicle while we are on the road, not in the trailer. That means you don't need the trailer AC while you are on the move. If we are parked in temps of 85 degrees or less without electricity, we shut all the blinds and turn on the power vents. They are much easier on the battery, and I highly recommend at least one and maybe two (or as many vent openings as you have). This keeps the temps reasonable. This would probably also work in higher temperatures, but I wouldn't want to chance it. I know my cats go hide out under the bed when it gets warm since it is cooler there. We just don't camp without electricity in temps above 85 because I just don't like it! I can run the generator, but I don't like doing it during the day. That is the reason God created mountains LOL! We just head up in latitude or elevation when it gets hot.

BTW, adding enough solar to run an air conditioner is very expensive both in panels and batteries.

I travel with two cats, and almost never use my AC.

I built a screened "catio" for them. In the photos below, the two supports are adjustable paint roller poles. The brown brackets are to fasten it to a platform on the back bumper, while we travel.

The cats love it, and spend much of the day out there, even when it isn't hot.

Eventually, I'll modify it with a sloped roof, so I quit getting a shower when I take it down after a rain.

Joel

Attachments

• Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 42
Great Horned Owl said:
I travel with two cats, and almost never use my AC.

I built a screened "catio" for them. In the photos below, the two supports are adjustable paint roller poles. The brown brackets are to fasten it to a platform on the back bumper, while we travel.

The cats love it, and spend much of the day out there, even when it isn't hot.

Eventually, I'll modify it with a sloped roof, so I quit getting a shower when I take it down after a rain.

Joel

Oh wow! How nice. So I assume it's detachable and you don't tow with it attached to the trailer, you just set it up when you're parked?

Thanks for your responses everyone. I'm much less worried about it now.

It lifts right off, and sits on a platform that is attached to the rear bumper. That brown bracket (and another one on the other side) are to secure it to the platform.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom