Ez Lube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Great Horned Owl

I got up this morning, and decided to lube my wheel bearings. I have the Ez Lube hubs, and In past years, it always has been easy. Not this time. By the time I has finished the first wheel, I was getting serious cramps in my hand from pumping the grease gun. I must be getting old or something.

I looked around, and found a pneumatic grease gun at Harbor Freight, for $20, and decided to give it a try. Wow! What a difference. Pumping grease with this thing requires almost no effort at all. I also found that I can operate the gun with one hand, while rotating the wheel with the other. I should have bought one years ago.

Now, if I can only find an easier way to collect the (roughly) 3/4 cups of old grease that gets pushed out.

Joel

There are two types of power gun. One keeps pumping as long as you hold the trigger in. The other type gives a small shot of grease, each time you pull the trigger. The second type should be safe.

Joel

I recommend that you pull your wheels/brake drums/hubs off and see how much grease you pumped out where it doesn't belong. Ez Lube hubs and variants of it should be outlawed in my opinion.

8Muddypaws said:
I never used a power gun because several people on the Montana forum blew out the seals that way.

I should have added one more thing to my last response.

I can see how you could blow out the seals if the air pressure is set up around 100 psi or more. Keeping it around 40 or 50 psi takes a little longer, but is much safer.

Joel

I've always followed the directions and never had a problem with the Ez Lube's on my last two trailers.  I can see how not spinning the wheel as the grease is slowly added could cause a problem.

kdbgoat said:
I recommend that you pull your wheels/brake drums/hubs off and see how much grease you pumped out where it doesn't belong. Ez Lube hubs and variants of it should be outlawed in my opinion.

I agree, don't use the grease fittings and do it right.  You have no idea of the condition of the brakes or bearings.

I can understand ez lub on a boat trailer where the wheels get dumped under water. Expecialy salt water.  But I agree. You don't need them on a regular trailer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom