Fith Wheel Legnth not the same on the spec shhet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superduty17

Hi, I am hoping some can answer this. I havebeen looking at several 5th wheels in the range of 29 - 31 feet. When I look at the specs on line or in the brochure the overal length is extended by 2'-3'. I do not understand why it would be like this. The Cedar Creek is what we are looking for.

Thanks

As Nelson said, the usual length quoted will be the effective length of the vehicle measured from the point of the hitch to the rear, the longer length will be the actual length measured from the front to the rear. In the same way as a caravan (you call them a travel trailer) is measured from the point of the hitch to the rear. Just that your usual 5-er will have a bit more hanging in front of the hitch than a caravan ;)

The RVIA now requires its members to state  the RV length as the length of the usable living area, measured down the centerline. It does not include hitch, trailer tongue, bumpers, etc. Those  things may be included in additional statistics, typically something like "overall length" or similar wording.

Gary, I had not heard of that but that might still be on its way downunder. Defining living space confuses me, would that be from the front doors of the cupboards or the absolute distance from the interiors of the front and back walls?

Same on Motorhomes  Ours is a 36fter but is actuall over 37ft long,  as are most of the motorhomes.

I had not heard of that but that might still be on its way downunder.

It's an RVIA membership requirement, so Aussie manufacturers (or even importers) may not be doing it.

Defining living space confuses me, would that be from the front doors of the cupboards or the absolute distance from the interiors of the front and back walls?

I believe it is wall-to wall. The location and style of cabinets, appliances and furniture is not a factor, as far as I know.  Not quite sure how the driving area of a Class A motorhome is covered or the overhang on a Class C, but I suspect that all counts too. Mostly they were trying to eliminate exaggerated length claims based on trailer tongues, bumpers and such. Space that people see/use/feel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom