Flattest & easiest route through Blue ridge. I-77 or I-40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10footstop

New to the RV world. I am working up in the Madison, IN area for the winter and would like to know the easiest and flattest route to cross the blue ridge mountains. I am looking at I-40 passing through Asheville over towards Knoxville or up I-77 from Charlotte, NC up through Charleston, WV way.

No time to sight see now but will look for scenic on my way back to my home in SC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

I 77 north out of Charlotte is fairly flat until you get to the Va border. From there on, you will be looking at lots of steep grades, both up and down. I 40 has a few steep areas, there is a pretty steep pass east of Black Mt, but for the most part, I 40 is considerably easier pulling.

Agree with Patnsuzanne.  I-40 is a slightly easier pull but it also has some curves especially between Asheville & Waynesville.  Have you considered taking Future I-26 between Asheville and Johnson City, TN. over to I-81?

The worst part of I-40 is west of the Waynesville cut-off at Clyde until you get to Willow Springs, TN.
Some pretty tight spots for a large RV, but I've seen a lot of them on the road. less than an hour through that mess.
The I-75/I-40/I-81 Corridor into knoxville is crowded but smooth, and then I-75 to Lexington, KY.
Maybe not the flattest, but over all, probably fastest and smoothest.

I-77 and 64 through VA and WVA will be a lot of "fun" for long drive in an RV.

If you really want "Flat" your best bet would be to head west to Atlanta, up 75 to Chattanooga, then 24 to Nashville, and 65 to Louisville, Not the shortest but with the exception of getting through Chattanooga, and the climb up Monteagle, mostly straight, and relatively flat.

Thx to everyone for your advice, you've given me some great options to look over.

Safe travels to all!

My son-in-law drives an 18 wheeler over those routes. He usually rums I 40 over the mountains to Knoxville and then takes I 75 to Lexington. I drove a 38' MH over mountain on I 40 two weeks ago. Now a bad drive if one takes their time and drives with care. The only problem with I 24 is the section through Chattanooga where there is Lookout Mountain on one side and the Tennessee River on the other side. If there is an accident along that section one may have to sit in traffic 2-3hours. I have traveled that section of road dozen of times. However, I have had to sit in traffic twice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom