How does DMV lose half their hard drives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
CA DMV has 122 of their 188 offices unable to process registrations and licenses because half of their hard drives have 'failed'. Surely this can't be a coincidence  ??? Story here.

lol...if CA is anything like NY, they are just using this as an excuse to go on break and leave 1 person at the counter to help 100 customers!

And I love the last line in the story - even though this is 100% DMV's fault, customers will have to REQUEST A REFUND if they are fined. Gotta love the DMV!

The story said all of the DMV offices performed a "scheduled security upgrade" on Friday that caused problems at some offices, then there were widespread failures on Monday.  But there's no connection between the two events.

Yeah, right.

Hard drives do fail. Computer salesmen..  Are Salesmen after all... I recall my mother doing Computer training for the company she worked for.. She ask about Back Ups of important files (She had a back up system I highly recommend for important stuff Will append)

They told her that the Salesman told 'em backups were not necessary thanks to their improved Hard Drive.... Oh Medic, passed out teacher here...

Likely many of the HD's are about the same age, and they run about the same amount of time every day, and thus all reached End of Life at around the same time.. And of course they believed the salesman.

Michigan all the DMV records are on one set of Drives (Main plus backups) in the Data Center... Terminal in offices are just that, Terminals.. There has been talk about "Distributed intellegence" but so far it's all talk.. I actually think central records are better, though I do admit one busted water main did take out the network once.  Did not affect Department of State's computer (DMV in Mi) but did the net that connects to it... I had to run a license plate on an armed robber's car during the outage... Not a problem for this Dispatcher, I knew the bypass.. The officers investigating got the registration info and the registered owner..A new residence.... But alas, not the key to the door.

Oh, almost forgot my mother's back up plan....
Daily: incremental backup, stored in her desk drawer
Weekly, Full back up, Company Vault,  Safe from most threats save major explosion
Monthly: Full back up..Remote off site (30 miles) also in a security vault.  Not many things would take out all 3 backups.

Fun fact: She was having some computer issues.. in a manner of speaking I "Fixed" it.. well I diagnosed it and the professional computer technician fixed it.. But I diagnosed it, Told her what the problem was, She called the repair guy and he confirmed ... The computer had a hibernation feature, much like laptops do, where if it lost power it would go to batteries, Bookmark what it was doing, save it off then when power returned, retrive the memory image, and return to the task it was running... Battery died

NOTE: I never actually saw the computer.. I just recalled Mother telling me of that feature, and from her problems (Overnight crashing due to power issues) I knew it had to have a dead battery.

The computers are driven and managed by humans and humans made this mistake and no human admits it !
We has human always learned from our mistakes,  so, don't blame it on the computers or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom