Suspension question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relee52

We've been on several trips now with our Winnebago Minnie and have noticed that when backing into a site our our suspension makes a bunch of racket...popping and squeaking loudly. I've not noticed any other units doing this. I just had a thorough systems check at the RV shop and they did not note any problems. I always remove the sway control and it seems to me to be coming from the suspension anyway. Does anyone else have this issue? Any concerns?

Do you remove just a sway control ( a flat gadget along side the WD spring bars, or the entire spring bar and sway set-up?  The noise usually comes form the WD spring bars.

Spray the springs and suspension parts with Fluid Film and see if that helps.  You may have a brake problem as well, try to listen for sound changes when applying the brakes.  You do grease the trailer ball, right?

I grease the balls and have sprayed the springs with white lithium grease but have not heard of fluid film...is that readily available? I have not noticed any brake noise and I pay a lot of attention to the brakes.

I have just removed the sway control...ill try removing the WD bars too and see if that helps.

Relee52 said:
I grease the balls and have sprayed the springs with white lithium grease but have not heard of fluid film...is that readily available? I have not noticed any brake noise and I pay a lot of attention to the brakes.

Fluid film is a product used to undercoat the entire undercarriage of a tow vehicle or anything else to keep it from rusting. I had my truck done 2 years ago and have not seen any rusting at all. Dirt sort of sticks to it and forms a protective barrier.

There should be thin teflon strips between each leaf spring.  Sometimes those wear through and they will rub together causing a squeak. You're bushings may have play in them which will cause popping.

I've owned a lot of trailers that have made noise before.  A wet bolt kit has helped in many cases. I had one trailer that I had to convert to polyurethane bushings to get it to quiet down.

I used  to be a Jeep guy (Gecko Green 2013 Wrangler JKU).  After the first winter I had it I noticed a lot of rust on the under carriage.  Dug into solutions for on multiple jeep forums.  What I was repeatedly told was to threat the under carriage with Fluid Film.  So I clean and touched up the paint of my undercarriage.  Then I sprayed everything with Fluid Film prior to the next winter.  Once the weather warmed up again I did an inspection and found no rust on my undercarriage.  Now I use any where I would have used WD40.  I also use it as a thread cutting fluid.  Works great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom