EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 1991 Elite Coach Corp Ford powered Class A Hard to find Info!!  (Read 927 times)

1991Elite

• ---
1991 Elite Coach Corp Ford powered Class A Hard to find Info!!
« on: January 06, 2017, 06:25:48 PM »
I recently acquired this RV as a project, however I am having trouble finding much info on these.  I understand from researched it might have a John Deere Frame???

Please help

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: 1991 Elite Coach Corp Ford powered Class A Hard to find Info!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »
That's quite likely. John Deere built a Class A motorhome chassis around then, using a Ford 460 gas engine in most of them. Oshkosh later took over the John Deere chassis, and that ultimately became a part of Freightliner Custom Chassis (the specialty chassis offshoot of Freightliner and now a subsidiary of Daimler North America).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
RV brands come and go frequently, and there often is little info about them after. If you could be a bit more specific about what you want to know, maybe someone here can help. but if you are looking for a owner manual or other general info about that brand/model, it is probably non-existent.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

mikelcan

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
I had booked marked this a while back for a friend with a John Deere Chassis.  It is the parts manual for the chassis.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC2109.pdf

Edited to add - for the RV components (Fridge, Stove, etc) you can probably find the individual manuals for those components by searching on the make / model number. 

Mike
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:01:27 PM by mikelcan »
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38J  W24 chassis
PNW

rls7201

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:45:06 PM »
1990 Oshkosh/John Deere chassis has a carburetor with 3sp. C6 transmission. 1991 Oshkosh/JD chassis has EFI with 3sp. C6 transmission. Ford F53 chassis of that era will have EFI with 4sp.  E40D transmission. All with 460 engine.
It's possible to have a 1990 chassis under a 1991 coach.
Freightliner purchased Oshkosh/John Deere chassis. So Freightliner is your go to source for OEM parts and manuals.

Richard
Richard  & Michele Shields
& Eg the Bounder Cat
Gladstone, MO
95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker

1991Elite

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 07:30:45 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, however, I was now informed my Elite is actually a 1986!!!!!!

So now it has a gillig chassis!!

I am still having trouble finding info regarding it with this new info.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:48:07 AM »
Is it gas or diesel? Front or rear engine?  Gillig made some gas-powered, rear engine "pusher" chassis back then.

Do you have a title for this coach? Hard to imagine there is a 5 year discrepancy in the model-year. And whether an 86 or 91, it should have a VIN which will identify the chassis builder and type.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

1991Elite

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 01:02:10 PM »
It is a front engine gas ford 460 V8.  I bought it extremely cheap to help out a family member going thru some hard times.  The title is what clarified the years.  I was hoping to get this rig road worthy, but after digging deeper into the parts cost and it has a seized engine supposedly and some electrical issues too, I decided to try and part out and scrap it now.  I bought it with the assumption scrapping would be my last resort

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
Probably the wisest thing to do. Getting a replacement Ford 460 is probably easy enough (if any engine swap can be said to be 'easy' in a Class A coach), but that's just a beginning if there are other issues as well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

jottoh

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »
I am in the process of deciding on a 1988 Elite coach with a front mounted 460 and I believe a Deere chassis. I think they look kinda nifty. The one I am looking at has been extensively remodeled and that makes me a bit nervous. Is/was yours leaking around the A/C or other roof openings? Are the wiring issues you mention from past modifications? Sorry to hear about the 460.  :(  If you do decide to replace the engine...go for a newer one with fuel injection. It will eek you out another mile or two per gallon...maybe more.

jottoh

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
I had booked marked this a while back for a friend with a John Deere Chassis.  It is the parts manual for the chassis.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC2109.pdf

Edited to add - for the RV components (Fridge, Stove, etc) you can probably find the individual manuals for those components by searching on the make / model number. 

Mike

THANKS Mike for the link to a parts manual for the Deere chassis! A real lifesaver.

Hosted by Over The Network