EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Man, I can really hate concrete highways  (Read 2456 times)

Helmerb

• ---
Re: Man, I can really hate concrete highways
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
I-10 in Louisiana.  Lost 2 teeth, a kidney, a windshield, an awning, and part of a tailpipe.

I second that emotion, that's the worst stretch of highway I've ever been on!
Bill and Cindy
2006 Monaco Monarch

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:14 PM »
I-10 in Louisiana.  Lost 2 teeth, a kidney, a windshield, an awning, and part of a tailpipe.

I can't speak to I-10 from Baton Rouge to Slidell as I use I-12 to bypass New Orleans, but it's getting better. Much of it has been repaved since I started traveling that route regularly 5 years ago. However, what hasn't been fixed remains truly miserable.
The really bad stretches (as of April) are between Lafayette and Atchafalaya, and also through/around Lake Charles (even the bypass is bad).
Let's include the first few miles of I-10 and I-12 east of the Mississippi.
The bridge transitions just about anywhere are suspension killers.

The Lafayette - Atchafalaya stretch has broken a shock absorber mount and loosened just about every screw in the trailer.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##37 States So Far...##

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Nothing like I-10 east of Baton Rouge. Miserable ride.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 07:18:46 PM »
Sorry, I meant west of Baton Rouge.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
American Dolly
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
Anywhere in a circumference of about 45 miles around Houston sucks.  Concrete everywhere.  Even the new construction is horrible.  When I head west to San Antonio, it's an hour drive around Houston, all concrete until I get outside that circumference.  That's why I tend to go camping north.  I only have a few miles of concrete until I'm out in the country.  But I'm sure that won't last long.  Pretty soon it seems like it's going to be "The Greater DalFtWorthHoustAntonio Quadraplex"!  One giant city with a few trees in-between.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »
All kidding aside I just got the slide awning replaced at Tough top awnings near Vancouver Wa.  310 inch x 32 inch, 15oz material installed in under an hour (with appointment) for $350.

http://www.toughtopawnings.com/
2007 Coachman Aurora 36FWS
2006 Mini Cooper S

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »
I drove an empty fuel truck on I-84 from Pocatello to Boise in the left lane, I was warned I might get a ticket but I didn't care. I couldn't take the pounding.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 10:53:39 PM »
All kidding aside I just got the slide awning replaced at Tough top awnings near Vancouver Wa.  310 inch x 32 inch, 15oz material installed in under an hour (with appointment) for $350.

http://www.toughtopawnings.com/

I can't see the connection between that and concrete highways>   :o ::) :( ;)
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Bob T

• ---
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
I was in Myrtle Beach in April and was reading on something local that the state of South Carolina is planning to spend some major money fixing up the highways

According to the article, there are too many folks getting judgements against the state for damage done to their vehicles due to condition of roads.   

Spoke with a gent from NC, he said the state was talking about increasing fuel taxes to help pay for the work.

2008 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD
Any day you wake up on the right side of the grass is a Beautiful Day!

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2017, 12:07:01 PM »
I can't see the connection between that and concrete highways>   :o ::) :( ;)
Bobtop46 indicated the concrete hwy (I-10) tore up his awning (amount other things).

Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »
The bumps were so jarring that the slide awning moved enough to knock the anti billow device off.  After that the slide awning unrolled and was billowing in the wind.  We heard a snap after hitting a bump and wondered what it was.  Now we know.  This was gone.

http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-black-anti-billow-hardware.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CNqOyd-kotQCFYhsfgodCtkCYQ
2006 Mini Cooper S

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
The bumps were so jarring that the slide awning moved enough to knock the anti billow device off.  After that the slide awning unrolled and was billowing in the wind.  We heard a snap after hitting a bump and wondered what it was.  Now we know.  This was gone.

http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-black-anti-billow-hardware.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CNqOyd-kotQCFYhsfgodCtkCYQ

To divert for one post, can you tell me how the anti-billow device works. I just replaced my awning that had the aluminum cover over it with one where the awning is exposed.  I cannot see how this device works but suspect, with my bad luck, it may behoove me to install one.  Thanks.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
When the slide topper awning tries to unroll the anti billowing device hits the stopper mounted on the RV wall.  Only works when the slide is in.  In our case a combination of rough road, a head wind, and trucks passing (during single lane construction situation) caused the device to snap off and our slide awning to billow out (unroll.)

Hopefully this is not a social fax pas:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/billowing-slide-topper-183374-2.html
2006 Mini Cooper S

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2017, 02:48:19 PM »
When the slide topper awning tries to unroll the anti billowing device hits the stopper mounted on the RV wall.  Only works when the slide is in.  In our case a combination of rough road, a head wind, and trucks passing (during single lane construction situation) caused the device to snap off and our slide awning to billow out (unroll.)

Hopefully this is not a social fax pas:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/billowing-slide-topper-183374-2.html

Thanks for the reply.  I neglected to notice that this was for slide awnings.  I was looking for something for my side awning.

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

lone_star_dsl

• ---
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
There is nothing wrong with a properly built and maintained concrete road surface.  PROPERLY MAINTAINED.

IT is long lasting, and over all lower in cost than asphalt lasting easily 2-3 times as long.

BUT: First it has to be properly built. Here in the US they tend to go "Cheap" which means the road does not last as long as if they made it a bit ..Er.. Thicker.

And of course we do not properly maintain them, Patch, Patch, Patch, instead of re-do.. WHY. Well... That... Is politics.. a compound word.. made iup of POLY (meaning many) and TICS, which as you know are blood sucking parasites....

I don't think anyone here is complaining about the longevity of concrete highways. The main complaint is about the lengths of sections between expansion joints causing rhythmic or harmonic vibrations in vehicles.

I travel on 25 miles of concrete highway everyday. The expansion joints are 20' apart and match the wheelbase of my truck perfectly. This causes the truck to start bouncing up and down violently. The bounce is so bad that you cannot carry on a conversation inside the truck.
2007 KZ Sportsman 36SE3 Toy Hauler
2016 Ram 3500, CTD, Aisin, Dually
Monument, CO

blw2

• ---
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
just wrapping up a drive from Florida to the Grand Canyon and back.... very few of the concrete stretches are good.  I saw a lot of rough asphalt sections too....but mostly I was happy to come upon asphalt!
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

DeSwen

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 11:27:59 AM »
Thank you so much for the I-10 update. We drove it a couple years ago and found it miserable. We are headed to Texas again from Florida and wanted to check if there had been any change, guess not.There should be an app that warns for these bad roads.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »
The state just finished up a pretty big elevated roadway project here and at first the concrete road surface was miserable, no matter what vehicle I had. Then I came to work one day and it was smooth as glass. I don't know if it's a new procedure but what they did was once all the work was done they came through and milled it to a consistent, flat surface. I honestly cannot feel a single expansion joint. Not sure if this will change over time but it sure is nice right now!!!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
The state just finished up a pretty big elevated roadway project here and at first the concrete road surface was miserable, no matter what vehicle I had. Then I came to work one day and it was smooth as glass. I don't know if it's a new procedure but what they did was once all the work was done they came through and milled it to a consistent, flat surface. I honestly cannot feel a single expansion joint. Not sure if this will change over time but it sure is nice right now!!!

Sounds like they ground it.  This is becoming a common procedure for concrete highways and really helps smooth them out especially the expansion joints.  But they can only grind so many times before replacement.  I came across a contractor in South Dakota on I-29 who was just replacing expansion joints by replacing about a 3 foot section on each side of the joint and then installing about 3 groups of short rebar across the joint before repouring new concrete.  From what I could see this was a pretty effective way of keeping the joints in level with each other.

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »
Most of the traffic is in the right lane. By law in most states, the right lane is for travel and the left lane is for passing only so the right lane is getting beat up.  It's the law in 44 states.
I know someone will question what I just said so here it is:

http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-lane-passing-laws-a-state-by-state-map
I think you are correct, and it has been that way for a long time.

Back in the early 1970's I was driving to Ft Huacuca AZ in the much smoother left lane of I-10...at 3am,   not another car on the road.

Except for this really pissed off AZ state trooper that did a U turn to me pull over for driving in the left lane....I learned that night not to do that in Arizona.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:56:41 PM by TonyDtorch »

CMcGinnis

• ---
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2017, 02:07:39 AM »
Same is here. I just hate top ride on concrete roads.

dcbinvt

• ---
Concrete highways
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »
I'm sure there's a special section in Hell for those who thought concrete highways were a good idea!
Concrete "cups" when it cures no matter how long the sections are.

I too am disgusted with concrete highways and avoid them when I can or drive in the lane least bumpy.

dcb in VT

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
I drove an empty tank truck from Pocatello ID to Boise in the left lane, I couldn't take the pounding.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 05:41:11 PM »
If you don't like concrete.. How about Asphalt...

A couple govermanures ago Michigan got the bright idea to pave over the concrete with nice smooth Asphalt..  Well it's nice. it's smooth it looks good and it is cheap.

But when it gets hot it buckels.. Suddenly.. and one of the buckles in interstate 275 near Plymouth/Canton flipped a car into the path of a truck killing the driver.'

I like a well made, well maintained concrete road.. Sadly not many of those around.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
LMAO you guys are sooooo funny - your roads are glass in comparison to the roads here in Alberta we get frost heaves that will make you butt leave the seat no joke and potholes that will rip your wheel off and open cupboards in the coach that have locks on. I kid you not i have seen coaches litteraly fall apart on the highway and nice coaches at that. I love traveling your highways they are so nice compared to ours
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5200lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh?

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
Nothing like I-10 in the Lafayette, LA area.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
American Dolly
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »

That 30 mile stretch took out my generator by bottoming it out on its springs and severing the conduit to the transfer switch, and made me rehang my door. I will never travel down that stretch of road again.

LMAO you guys are sooooo funny - your roads are glass in comparison to the roads here in Alberta we get frost heaves that will make you butt leave the seat no joke and potholes that will rip your wheel off and open cupboards in the coach that have locks on. I kid you not i have seen coaches litteraly fall apart on the highway and nice coaches at that. I love traveling your highways they are so nice compared to ours

If you think we are so funny, I guess the question must be asked of why you are living with roads that bad. You make it sound like we're a bunch of whiners that don't know how bad it can get. If that's the case, your sanity or intelligence must be questioned if you are willing to live with roads as you described.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
Acme EZ Tow Dolly and 2007 Azera

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
A couple of years back I was talking to a NY State Trooper at a rest area on I-88. When I ranted a little about the condition of some particularly rough sections and how much they affected my motorhome, he told me that as long as I wasn't holding up traffic, go ahead and run in the left lane where it's smoother. He said none of their guys would bother me about it because they're out there every day and know full well how bad it is. He said to just keep an eye behind me, and move over as needed. And yes, NY does have a "left lane for passing" law...

Truth. If you're the only vehicle on the road, nobody cares what lane you're in, but when you start holding up traffic, you'd better be over to the right. According to my neighbor, the CSP Trooper.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »

I-10 into Baton Rouge! Eastbound from Lafayette. Especially, just before the River.
And in summer, I-49 north of Shreveport. I actually saw concrete joint buckle just before I got to it, once. My Front End was a MESS.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
I-10 into Baton Rouge! Eastbound from Lafayette. Especially, just before the River.
And in summer, I-49 north of Shreveport. I actually saw concrete joint buckle just before I got to it, once. My Front End was a MESS.
  My post has nothing to do with cement roads as much as Louisiana in general.  As a disclaimer I was born and raised in New Orleans but I have no intention of ever living there or anywhere in the state again.    Back in the day (1950s and 60s) if you wanted a good road in your area you made sure the politicians were well taken care of and, definitely, reelected.  I left the area in 1961 after I joined the Air Force but from 1957 to 1961 I had a lot of laughs watching them try to build an interstate through the swamp between LaPlace, La and Ponchatula, La (I-55),  In fact my first car a 1941 Plymouth turned it's last wheel on the road beside the construction (US 51) and me and two other guys just pushed t into the swamp never to be seen again.  I had paid $25 for the car and it wasn't even worth that when I bid it goodbye.  A friend from the area told me that he thinks it is still there because that swamp has never been touched since then.  The interstate was finally completed a few years later but not on the swamp where they tried.  It was an elevated bridge that ran completely across the swamp and is still in pretty decent condition.    When I think of the roads back in the day in that area I also think of the levees and what Katrina did to them.  Same politicians pocketing the money on that fiasco too.  JMHO.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:19:20 PM by Bill N »
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Hosted by Over The Network