rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: KOFA Camping 1/9/18  (Read 5439 times)

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
KOFA Camping 1/9/18
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
I posted this info in the Boondocking section, because that's where the topic originated, but I thought I'd also post it here in case others are interested.

We've been camping at a place called KOFA (King of Arizona) for 20+ years. It's BLM property, and we usually camp at a place off Kings road, about 45 miles north of Yuma, 30 miles south of Quartzsite. Some Forum members expressed an interest in joining us, so I told them I'd let them know when we'd next be there. We will be there for 4 or 5 days starting January 9th 2018.

The nearest place to dump, get water, supplies etc. is in Quartzsite. The temps in January can get down to freezing, but the lows are usually around 40 - the highs around 70. It's a good place to hike, explore in your vehicle and just relax.

If you enjoy that type of camping, you're welcome to join us. if you have any questions, you can post them here, or PM me and I'll get back to you. Here's a link to a short video I put together after last year's trip. It'll give you a pretty good idea of what the area is like if you're not familiar with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

Kev
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:20:11 PM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
Re: KOFA Camping 1/9/18
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Hello Kevin,

Amazing video, thanks for making it and sharing with us. Specially liked the explanation for the 'word' KOFA... we've read about the place before and the name puzzled us as it didn't sound neither English nor Native-american. Now everything makes sense ;-)

Sounds exactly like the type of camping we love. But unfortunately we won't be able to make it to the US this year :-\

You folks have fun and please keep the topic posted with pics & more video if possible so we can be there vicariously :-)

Cheers,
--
   Vall & Mo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:27:10 PM by VallAndMo »

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
Sorry you can't make it Vall... was looking forward to finally meeting you. Two other couples have signed up - the first time for one of them. Maybe it'll happen next year for you.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
I wish I could make it Kevin, I really miss the Arizona desert.  :( It is so beautiful. ;D
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
Do you go east on Kings Road? How far? Weíll be somewhere in the area in January. May track you down.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:22 AM »
Hi Wendy. Yes, we go east on Kings RD from Hwy 95. The turnoff is well marked by a place called "Stone Cabin" and there's a Border Patrol checkpoint a few hundred yards south of the turnoff.

We've gone many miles into the preserve and camped, and we've camped within half a mile of Hwy 95. Lately we've been camping about a mile east of Hwy 95, just west of where the preserve starts. It's a wide open site that can hold a lot of rigs, and it's far enough away from Hwy 95 and Kings Rd to keep road noise and dust down. Hope you can make it.

(Sorry you won't be able to make it Tom. Your cats would love it too.  :D)

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 03:40:34 AM »
As we get closer to January I will try to make it down there before the Q Forum Rally.

If I get there I will bring the golf cart so that you can take your Grandaughter for rides.  It is Solar Powered now. 
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
Hey Kev, we have put it on the calendar as tentative. Our grandson's birthday is 1/3, so it depends when his party is. If we can make, we will be there!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »
She still talks about your golf cart Bill. Hopefully, she'll be able to go with us. She loves camping with Gramma and Grampa.

That'd be great Marty! I really want to see your new coach. Will understand if you can't make it though. If you are able to go, we'll be pretty close to the spot we were a few years ago. I'll post some directions and Lat/Long coordinates for everyone soon.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
Sounds good. I will know better when we get some info from the DIL.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
Hey Kev, are you still on for the dessert trip? We are setting up the schedule for the next few months and want to verify that we are still on.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
I wanted to send out some camping details for the upcoming KOFA trip on 1/9/18.

To get to KOFA, you'll have to take Arizona Hwy 95. If you're coming from the north (I-10/Quartzsite) you'll go south on Hwy 95 for about 25 miles until you get to place called "Stone Cabin." (There are signs) There's a US Border Patrol checkpoint for northbound traffic at Stone Cabin. If you pass the checkpoint, you've gone too far. At Stone Cabin, you'll turn left (east) onto a dirt road called King's Rd. The GPS coordinates for the King's Rd turnoff are N 033.26631  W 114.23954

If you're coming from the south (I-8/Yuma) you'll go north on Hwy 95 for about 45 miles. After crossing through the Border Patrol checkpoint at Stone Cabin, you'll go about 1/8 of a mile and then turn right (east) onto Kings Rd. IMPORTANT If you're driving a big rig, the right turn onto King's Rd is not doable without crossing into the oncoming traffic lane of Hwy 95. Kings Rd exits Hwy 95 at an angle, and it's a pretty sharp turn for northbounders. There's a dirt turnoff area, however, just before you get to Kings Rd, and you can pull off into that turnoff area, drive for about about 50 yards, and it'll dump you onto Kings Rd.

King's Rd is a well maintained dirt road. We usually camp a little less than a mile down King's Rd. and that's where we're planning to camp this time. It's a campsite on the north side of King's Rd, about 200 yards off the road. The GPS coordinates for the campsite we're shooting for are N 033.25921  W 114.22830. If someone has taken that site, we'll play it by ear. As you're making your way to this, or any other, campsite, avoid rubbing up against the bushes - even the little ones. They WILL scratch your paint (trust me.)

We plan to arrive at about 2:00 PM on the 9th, and as of now, we're planning to depart the following Sunday. Once we get there, I'll fly the RV Forum flag so others know who we are. We'll be in a mostly reddish colored Winnie Tour towing a black Jeep. All are welcome. We're not a party til we puke crowd - just a group who likes to relax and take in the fresh air and scenery, and we enjoy meeting new people.

For those who haven't been following this discussion, or who have never been to KOFA, it's is a wildlife refuge on BLM land, and you can camp there for free for two weeks. It's boondocking. The closest services (fuel, water, propane, dump-station etc) are in Quartzsite, about 25 miles away, so plan accordingly. This video will give you an idea of what it's like.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

Right now, the forecast is for mostly sunny skies and temps ranging from the mid 70s to the low 40s, but it's the desert and that can change quickly. If you enjoy boondocking, you'll enjoy KOFA. We've been camping there several times a year for more than 20 years and we really enjoy it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them here, or you can PM me. Right now, I expect about half a dozen RVers to join us. Hope to see you there.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
Gosh We would love to, but we go to closing on our house and moving into our rig for our full time adventure.  I love KOFA and hope you enjoy it.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
My latest plan is that I will be there the 9th and go to Q after KOFA.

Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »
Thanks for the info Kev, we should be there around that time.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »
Kevin, Iím in Arizona for my first winter. Iíve read quite a few of your posts about camping in KOFA and this is one of the places I planned to visit. Iím in Tucson now and have appointment on 8th for some repairs. If everything goes well Iím going to head that way. So would probably arrive Wednesday. Plan to go to Q afterwards.

Look forward to meeting you and other forum members.

Is there Verizon cell service at the camping location?
Debra
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 01:33:20 PM »
Sorry you can't make it Bruce, but we understand. Glad everyone else will be there. Debra... I think Verizon works where we plan to camp. We've got Sprint, which barely works there, but I'm pretty sure our friends, who often camp there with us, have Verizon, and their phones work. That's one of the reasons we camp there. You get much further into the preserve and no one has coverage.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
Thanks Kev, see you all next week
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

GeneS

• ---
  • The journey should be as good as the destination.
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
Well, they say everyone has to try Q at least once.  I think this is my year. It looks like there is an escape window thru the weather here (Kansas City Area) starting on Sunday.  I would love to meet some of the members of this forum, which IMHO is the best one out there.  Question--I will have my Softtail along in the trailer.  Is this area soft sand, or hardpack enough to ride back out to the blacktop?
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Heritage Softtail (in lieu of Toad)
1992 Celica GT (eventual Toad)
Home base - Faucett, MO

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
Defnitely hard packed. No problem riding a MC on it.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

GeneS

• ---
  • The journey should be as good as the destination.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
Thanks!  I'm jazzed about trying out this whole Quartzsite experience.  Starting out at KOFA will help me get my feet wet.  Oh, wait--this is the desert--lemme think of a better phrase... ???
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Heritage Softtail (in lieu of Toad)
1992 Celica GT (eventual Toad)
Home base - Faucett, MO

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »
No problem ... just wade through the puddles left by people who dump their grey water onto the ground (a big no-no in the desert, BTW).

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
We plan to be there on the 9th.

Spent last night in Kansas City on our way. We had 13 degrees over night. Still better than the minus 4 degrees in the motorhome while loading for the trip. Won't be quite so bad in Tulsa for tonight.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
Hey that's great Gene and Tom... looking foward to meeting you.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 10:48:31 PM »
Thanks Kev, looking forward to meeting you and others, too.

Be prepared for some solar questions  ;)
Tom & Theresa

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
I tend to stay up late and sleep in sometimes till noon.  So I might go down to KOFA on Monday to be there on Tuesday.

As I understand the camp site is on the north side of Kings Road and not too far from Highway 95.

How far from Highway 95 and is the site easy to see?

Is there any part of the site that I should not park on.  When parked out in the desert I usually park with the prevailing wind on the left rear side and form an "L" shape to shelter from the wind.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Hey Kev just a heads up. The weather looks like it may be really raining hard Monday and Tuesday, so we are going to delay our arrival until Wednesday. We are staying one more day in San Dimas before pulling out. 
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »
No problem Marty... Yeah, I saw that in the forecast. There's also a 30% chance of rain in Quartzsite on Tuesday the 9th.

Bill... the site I'm shooting for is visible from the road, if you know where to look. It's about 3/4 of a mile from Hwy 95 and about 200 yards north of Kings Rd. Unfortunately, the area is like Quartzsite - everything looks the same. The turnoff off of Kings Rd that leads to the site might be difficult for someone to recognize if they've never been there before, which is why I was hoping to get there first. I'm planning to raise our flag pole with the Forum flag, so everyone will know where the group is, and mark the turnoff with some cones.

If someone has already taken that site, we're going to have to search for another site anyway - another reason I wanted to get there first - to mark where we are for the group. We'll just have to play it by ear. If you get there before us, the best thing I can suggest is to home in on the GPS coordinates I provided for the site. You might also want to click on the link I posted and watch the video. The aerial views might give you an idea of how to access the site.

Kev
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:44:47 AM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
Looks like our arrival will be pushed back to the 10th as well.

I pulled off early today. I got tired of crosswinds beating up on me.

I used the extra time to de-winterize the water system and hook up the satellite.

The satellite didn't go so well as I discovered that I'd left the Solo Hub at home. Have to find one on the way tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Tom
Tom & Theresa

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »
I was going to go down there tomorrow but it looks like I may just wait for Wednesday also.

What is a "Solo Hub"?

There are two Walmarts if you are going I-40 to 95 south thru Lake Havasu and then Quartzsite.  One is at the north end of Lake Havasu and the other is in Parker farther south.

There is also a Video/Audio store here in Lake Havasu.

There is also a Sat dealer in Quartzsite that you will go right by just before the bridge over I-10.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car