Are you buying the fish you think you are

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
Just over the Florida/Georgia line is Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base. I did my college internship MWR there in 2002. They were building a FamCamp when we left to go north. It's Eagle Hammock RV Park. They have 62 sites. The sites are situated around a 220 acre lake.

Years ago, I had a chance to transfer to Kings Bay from Portsmouth Naval SY in NH but backed out at the last minute.

Rene T said:
Years ago, I had a chance to transfer to Kings Bay from Portsmouth Naval SY in NH but backed out at the last minute.

I wasn't too fond of Kings Bay. But the folks at the base treated us great. It was an unpaid internship but they gave us a nice room in billeting with maid service. I worked for MWR. When the subs came in we would go out and set up activity tents for the sailors families. It was something seeing those subs come into the harbor and turn around. All the crew was on deck and had flowers for their significant others. They ordered the flowers in advance and a tender would deliver them when the sub was so many miles out. I was offered a position there but declined. We ended up at Dover AFB where I did take a position at the Education & Training Office.

Sun2Retire said:
I'd have to disagree - it's a huge deal. There are two reasons this happens, either the buyer doing the sourcing fails to thoroughly investigate his/her sources or (which I believe is the majority case) it's outright fraud - the substitution of a much cheaper fish/shark, no matter how tasty, for a more expensive one the consumer thinks they are getting, and for which they are paying top dollar. Example, some cheap whitefish (for example, Alaskan Sablefish) substituted for Chilean Sea Bass which I've seen for upwards of $30/lb. at the store, and double or triple that at a restaurant.

It's no different than telling a customer they're getting Michelins when in fact they're getting Hankooks (but paying for Michelins!) Hankooks might be a pretty good tire, but they sell for much less than Michelins and the tire buyer should know what they're getting.

Not sure what you are thinking of, but Alaskan Sablefish(aka Black Cod) is not a cheap whitefish. It is the most expensive of Alaskan groundfish. Alaskan Pacific Cod and Pollock have been known to be used as substitutes for other fish.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
Not sure what you are thinking of, but Alaskan Sablefish(aka Black Cod) is not a cheap whitefish. It is the most expensive of Alaskan groundfish. Alaskan Pacific Cod and Pollock have been known to be used as substitutes for other fish.

Yes I misspoke, however my point was that misrepresentation of any kind is fraud.

Rene T said:
Too bad. It?s nice up here in Maine. My wife?s grandfather was scheduled to go on the Thresher, but at the last minute gave up his post to a friend who needed extra pay. The rest is history.

Back
Top Bottom