Patio awning adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kivarham

Anyone know who I can contact to get directions to adjust my awning on a 34' Gulfstream. When all the way out it is a little too loose. There are numbers printed on the braces but I would like to know if I'm doing it right before I mess with it. Any help is appreciated.

Is this 'manual' or motor driven?

If this is 'manual', then the key to getting the awning tight is the upper sidearm, the 'TENSIONING arm'.  You first unroll the awning, and the very next thing you do before raising it any more is to extend the upper sidearms as far and as tight as you can get them. It's hard to do if you are short, alone, or have small hands, and on our RV it is one of those MAN jobs. It is important that when you are pulling the thing tight, that you pull on the upper sidearm itself, not the awning roller, because otherwise you dont get it fully tight. Then you have to get the knurled nut tight before you let go. Two people are really great for that step, one to tension, and one to turn the locking nut.

Once you get the upper arms tensioned, then you can raise the lower 'SUPPORT arms' to your liking. If those numbers are on the lower 'support arms' then they are only there to tell you that both sides are the same height. Most people actually raise the lower arms to different numbers, since the incline allows rain and dew to run off more quickly.

Get the upper sidearm tight and you are all set.
Hope this helps
Rankjo

It's a Carefree electric. When it is going out it is taunt but at the end of the stroke it goes from tight to loose at full extension. The upper arms have measurements on them and they are not even ( front one is 42 the rear reads 44, inches??).  I wanted to check the manual before I messed with it. Thanks Jerry

Sorry - I don't have the tech manual for the electric Carefree - just the manual model. I do, however, have a Carefree Eclipse electric on my coach and the manual includes install instructions. The installation makes no mention of any adjustments and specifically instructs not to pre-tension the roller tube springs.

On mine, I have to be careful to shut off the motor at the right moment, i.e. full extension and taut. If I keep my finger on the switch too long, the tube keeps on unwinding beyond the full extension point and creates some slack in thew awning fabric. Perhaps that is what you are expereincing?

My Eclipse does not have any measurement indications on the arms, so cannot compare to yours.

That is the scenario but it seems that the arms are too slack and it is not as secure in the breeze as when it is all the way out and the arms are set. I'll contact Carefree and see if they have any info. Thanks Jerry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom