SD/MMC card reader dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

This post is not for faint of heart...

Speaking of drivers.... I need a driver for my SS/MMC card reader.

Here's the scoop. I have a new camera (NIKON-COOLPIX L11)

I also bought a card reader from the camera shop. (RITZ Camera).  USB 2.0. It uses a SANDISK 2Gb memory card.
Problem is that I use a Windows 98SE computer system and a separate driver is required. (So stated on the package).( XP and above are ok).

OK, no problem. The store does not supply the driver CD, even though it is listed in the literature as being supplied at time of purchase.
The alternative method is to download from the manufacturer.. DIGITAL CONCEPTS.

From their website I was able to find an image of the reader (attached) and determined that it was the CR-10 something series. There was a choice of 6 differing model No's. Which one do I have?

Problem is that my unit has a RITZ part number on it (Model# 81-166-0257) instead of the real model # CR-10 or CR-35 etc.
Note: I am also using a CR-30M for my Sony camera - Memory Stick and it works great.

The sales staff could not help me. I contacted the Dig Con. people... they could not help me. I then went to another computer store to find the identical model...no luck. They had a newer version model CR-35TD-R, but it also required a downloaded driver for the 98SE.

Then I tried to download the driver CR-10TD-R and also the CR-35TD-R and found that those drivers led me to a "cannot find" site, even though the other five drivers were available, just not the one that I needed.  SHISH. :(

Upon checking multi-multi websites and forums I found that this problem was prevalent.

Now I know that we are only talking about a $20 gadget, but what to do? Other makes have the same problem: Extra driver required.

I am hoping that some of you great folks can steer me in the right direction, a.) sympathize with me (don't tell me to get a new computer) b.) tell me what you have done with your 98SE, or..... tell me to go and sit down and fergeddaboutit.

Your tolerance and patience and help will be much appreciated.

carson FL

Attachments

• cr-10 card reader.jpg
    cr-10 card reader.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 27
>>  I am hoping that some of you great folks can steer me in the right direction, a.) sympathize with me (don't tell me to get a new computer) b.) tell me what you have done with your 98SE, or..... tell me to go and sit down and fergeddaboutit.C<<

Sympathy, sympathy.  Ok that is over with, now get down to business.  ;D

See if you can find a XP upgrade package, check the RAM, clock speed, and disk space required for it and see if  your old machine has the specs, or can install them.  If so, upgrade to XP now before Vista takes over the market -- tho given the similarity to the Me fiasco that may not occure.

Thanks Carl, that'll be a no-go. I looked into it before and determined that I don't have the necessary stuff to do that. I also heard that the 98SE to XP upgrade is very troublesome.

If all else fails I can always put the memory card onto a CD at the local drugstore (cheap) and then transfer to the computer, or....buy a new computer ;).

carson fl

Karl,

It appears that "RITZ Camera" has the units specifically packaged for them by a company called "QUANTARAY DIGITAL" and their house part number is printed on the packaging card  "81-166-0257"... go figure. Not anywhere on the card is there a CR number listed.

I have been to the Sakar website many times and talked to them via phone... no dice.

carson Fl

Well, from what I can determine, those are the only 6 drivers available. Try each one. I subscribe to driverguide.com which is the best place for finding drivers - manufacturers or others, and none are listed. Beyond that, I'm sorry but I can't help you.

Thanks again, Karl

I am a registered user of Driverguide as well; found nothing.

I am pursuing another couple of avenues before I try each of the remaining 5 programs.
Will let you know how I make out as soon as I get results.

Thanks for your help, Karl

carson Fl

Carson, maybe it's time to consider Linux :)

If you know someone with Windows 2000, XP, or Vista you could plug it into their PC and see if the model number comes up when it installs.  If not, you can right-click on the "My Computer" icon, hit "Properties",  "Hardware", "Device Manager" and look under Disk Drives.

Good idea, Frank

I'll try the XP route to check on the model.

The drive does not show on the 'properties' method without the driver installed.

I have pre-assigned the letter F for the new 'removable drive'. Guess I am getting closer to the mystery.

carson FL

Hurrah, I don't need a new computer after all.

After several contacts with various companies, I finally got the proper driver for the mystery SD card reader. The distributor of the drive sent me a link to the the proper program, which didn't seem to be available on their normal website.

It finally supplied me with the actual part number of the unit and the actual manufacturer of the device, which was hidden to me until I got the driver info.

So, I am elated and it proves that perseverance does pay off over time. My DW is heading for Italy tomorrow and will no doubt be bringing back hundreds of pictures. (If she can figure out how to operate the new camera)  ;D

So thanks for all the advise I got from the forum.

carson FL

Good thinking, Karl. Will be happy to do so. This is only required for Windows 98SE users. All newer computers have it built in.

I'll give the major details below and also invite a potential user to contact me here for some of the finer details re installation of the file.

The store-bought card reader had a proprietary part number; Digital Concepts sold by RITZ Camera stores. The number is 81-166-0257.  It is a USB 2.0 reader for Sandisk cards.

The real number by Digital Concepts and SAKAR companies is CR-10TD-M. If you purchased this reader someplace else, it will probably have this good number on it.

SAKAR.com provides the driver, but it is not listed on their download schedule, hence all the problem I had finding it.

Sakar provided me with a special link which I will list here (not live):

http://www.sakar.com/images/resources/download-driver/cardreaderB.zip

This is a ZIP file and must be extracted to a blank folder on the desktop (any label). The setup.exe will be accessible in this folder.

The device to be used in Windows 98SE is under ALCORE MICRO CORP. USB reader device.

If necessary I can compose a step by step instruction sheet, if required.

I was going in circles for a awhile, but persevered, resulting in a big Yippee.

Hope this will help.

carson FL

---- This is not a solicitation--- (I may have .005 shares in my Mutual Funds) :)

A little tip: Until Sat. 03/29/08, Walgreens pharmacies have a super sale on a few items:

Available with an on-line coupon in your local store.(Check walgreens.com (hotbuys)

A 512 MB Sandisk memory card, suitable for cameras, music and more for only $4.99, a $15.00  saving. (While supplies last).

Also a 4-pack of D-cell "New and improved supercell" batteries for $0.99. (Walgreens brand).

I never look for coupons, but these came via E-mail  and I couldn't refuse.  ;D

carson FL  78.0F

Back
Top Bottom