Corrosion buildup in Battery Compartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

I am getting build-up of corrosion (for lack of a better word) in my Battery compartment in the MH (2007 Monaco Diplomat.  It is the same type of corrosin I would expect to see around the Battery Terminals and Battery Cables, only it is not accumulating on the Batteries and Terminals.  It is accumulating on the Battery Tray Slideout and the bottom of the compartment.

I assume it is from the gases produced while charging (I leave it plugged to Shore Power when not using).  I have checked the water level in the batteries and they are essentially  at the level as when I stored it (April 1, 2007) so I am not boiling the batteries.

The 'corrosion' builds up on flat painted surfaces below the Batteries.  There is absolutely no buildup on the Battery Posts or other connectors at various Solenoid Relays or Disconnect Switches all of which seem to be coated with some type of sprayed-on substance.   

The corrosion rinses off with water and I spray the affected areas with oil (not WD40), but it comes back in less than a week.

The compartment has one 3" vent hole in the bottom and a grill to the compartment behind it which houses the Inverter/Converter.  The compartment housing the I/C has no venting of is own so I am assuming it depends on the vent hole in the Battery Compartment.  Am considering installing a Muffin Fan over the Vent in the Battery Compartment.

I realize this is a long lead-in for my three questions: (1) Has anybody had and, hopefully, solved this problem? (2) Does anyone have any idea what they might have sprayed on the Batteries and other connectors and if so would it be effective to spray the whole compartment? and (3) Would it solve my problem to install a Muffin Fan (exhaust) and, if so, how many hours per day should I operate it (am planning on powering it through a timer)?

I will appreciate your feedback. 

Mix some baking soda in with the water the next time you rinse it down

DO NOT GET THIS MIX IN THE BATTERY

Then rinse with clear water.

Then I'd suggest pulling the batteries and a good epoxy paint

Go to a local auto parts store and purchase spray cans of DEKA battery cleaner, some of the corrosion prevention felt collars that go around the battery terminals and two colors of acid resistant paint.  Clean everything and paint it. Get a volt meter and make sure the charging voltage from your inverter is within specs. Overvoltage will cause rapid build up of corrosion.

I've been using this for 10 years and only clean the batteries once a year. Even then the corrosion is very minimal.

Chet18013

you might never get it to stop completly so an old trick was clean all affected areas (baking soad and water paste) then paint all none painted spots. use battery post protectent (felt pads or battery paint (i like the paint best)) and then put 1 or pennies on each battery near the posts but not touching the post. throw the penny away when it becomes fuzzy and replace with a shinny new battery......mike

I'm thinking this is not "corrosion" and perhaps not even related to the batteries. Your batteries are not boiling, there is no sign of corrosion on battery posts and adjacent parts and, perhaps most telling, you can rinse it off with water.  It sounds more like an accumulation of a dirt film that is clinging to that oil coating you spray on.  I wonder if the vent system is moving enough air through there that airborne dust/dirt is coating the area? I realize you said it is "just like corrosion", but I can't imagine how it would not affect the area around the battery caps where any gasses would escape.

I am pretty sure it is corosion, it is white in color, looks like foam but is dry to the touch and the top portion will rub off.  The lower surface of the "corrosion" appears to adhere to the painted surface until I dampen it.

The accumulation occurs while stored but, then, I don't take long enough trips to see if accumulates while driving.

p.s. It fizzes if you put a little coke or vinegar on it. 

Both Coke and vinegar are acidic and wouldn't cause a reaction from corrosion, as that would also be acidic.  Is it, perhaps, some leftover baking soda from a previous cleaning of the batteries?  Of course, that wouldn't come back once it was cleaned off.

Strange stuff. I don't know what to suggest, but the facts do not seem consistent with anything from the batteries. If your batteries were gassing, they would lose water and the battery tops would be usually be damp, if not corroded themselves. Something else is at play here, but I haven't the foggiest notion what it might be.

Know this is an old post - but I have the same problem with a 2009 Destination. The corrosion is on the bottom of the battery cabinet, and around the base of the battery tie down/hold down bolts. In my case the corrosion is causing the paint to peel away. The terminals and cables are all nice and clean. There are four (4) Group 31 batteries in the compartment. Two (2) sealed batteries for the chassis and two (2) wet cell for the house. No evidence of dampness or moisture on top of the batteries. The corrosion seems to be more on the house battery side of the compartment. I plan on removing all the batteries, wire brushing the corrosion, treating with baking soda and water, painting the area with a Rustoleum rust primer, then painting that with either a "bedliner" spray or an "undercoating" spray. I will probably look for a shallow plastic tray I can put in and put the batteries in/on that. May be it will protect the paint. Then just constant rinsing with water.

Michael - Texas
2009 Destination 37G

Mickey,

I had similar problems and took the whole battery area apart, cleaned every thing with baking soda solution till there was no more reaction, rinsed several times, wiped every thing down with either mineral spirits or alcohol and then painted with a rust converter paint.  After that was all done, I sprayed everything with bedliner from spray cans.  Put everything back together, put a sheet of closed cell foam padding under the batteries.  I installed Water Miser battery caps to reduce vapors and verified the charger is not over charging the batteries.  After 2+ years, very slight corrosion on some parts I reused that could not be repainted, a strap and hold metal downs.  I now have more problems with dirt than anthing else.

Interesting point about the Bedliner Paint, I shall give it a try.  I had already removed the Batteries, cleaned both the slide-out tray and the floor and lower sidewalls of the compartment and painted with Rustoleum Primer covered with Rustoleum high gloss, high heat paint. 

My batteries set on dense rubber mats.  Since doing the above the amount of corrosion has significantly reduced and is easily cleaned with baking soda spray and paper towels (first damp then dry).  I no longer spray the metal with oil.

I am convinced that the battery gases were attacking the bare (thinly painted) metal surfaces as evidenced by the most corrosion buildup being at the outside right angle bends.

I am going to try the Bed Liner spray.  I am sure I will still have some on the roller tracks where I will not be able to use the Bed Liner.

Thks for the input guys, I was beginning to think I was imagining it.

If it's battery corrosion then this stuff will clean it up
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05023-Technician-Battery-Indicator/dp/B000CIRTY0/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b
and this stuff will protect it
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05046-Technician-Terminal-Protector/dp/B000CIPUNC/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b

I buy it at a local Auto parts store for about $8.00 for both cans.

I only have to apply it about twice a year. It changes color when it's becoming ineffective and needs refreshed.

These batteries were installed in Feb 2002 and always look like this. The red stuff is the product, when it needs reapplied it turns clear.

Great stuff at a reasonable price. Does what it says it will do.

Attachments

• DSCF3681 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3681 (Small).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 37
That is the weird part of this. The tops of the batteries and all the connections are clean. I did that in October or November last year. Used the "red" stuff (think mine is CRC brand) and those connections are spotless. It is the tray and the bottom end of the tie down bolts that are corroding. Plan to take care of it this weekend. Will take some pictures of the before and maybe the after (if I get it complete).

I had the same problem. My RV service center said it was a bad sensor from the onverter. They replaced the sensor. So far so good.

No, this is definitely battery corrosion. Got the look and smell of it anyway and where it is located indicates more than anything else.

I am still working on this project. When I get it complete (probably Saturday) I'll post a link to what I have done. Didn't want anyone thinking I forgot.  :)

When I replaced my batteries, I flushed with a baking soda/water mix, then clean water, then put more baking soda on the "floor" of the battery compartment, just to neutralize any additional acid that may find its way out of the batteries.  I know this isn't supposed to happen, but it won't hurt to leave a coating of baking soda there either.

Back
Top Bottom