EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: toad vehicles vs 4 wheel towable  (Read 8720 times)

Torchbearer

• ---
toad vehicles vs 4 wheel towable
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »
I am trying to figure out what kind of vehicle I need to tow behind my motorhome.  I have found the toad vehicle list, but I am not sure if that means they can be towed with a dolly or if they are 4 wheel towable.  My problem is that I need something that can carry at least 5-6 people.  Is there a list of 4 wheel towable vehicles somewhere and do you guys that tow have a problem with tow dolly's.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: toad vehicles vs 4 wheel towable
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »
You can check out whether a specific make/model of car can be towed all 4 down by using Remco's online towing guide. Motorhome Magazine also has lists of towable cars on their web site.

A separate, but equally important issue is the towing capacity of your motorhome. The simplest calculation is:

Towing capacity = (GCWR - GVWR)

FWIW we tow a Suburban (weighs 7,000 lbs) behind our motorhome which, using the above calculation, has a 10,000 lbs towing capacity. Of course, it also has a hitch that's rated for 10,000 lbs.

Don't forget the auxiliary braking system for the toad; Check out this illustrated article showing various options in our library.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:13:05 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:18:08 PM »
Also important to confirm your hitch rating some are only 3000 lbs or less.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
The Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide lists vehicles that do NOT require modifications for 4-down towing (no dolly). Additional vehicles can be towed 4 down (no dolly) by adding some equipment from Remco Towing. The Remco list identifies whether one of their modifications is required and, if so, which one.

Just about anything can be towed with a dolly (except for a few All Wheel Drive models) by placing the drive wheels (front or rear) on the dolly.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL