EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: One side of electrical outlets work; others do not! ---Ideas??  (Read 4542 times)

loboshe

• ---
I have a small Coleman popup. When we took it out recently, the outlet by the right bed didn't work, nor did the one by the door, and neither did the refrigerator.  Yet, on the left side by the other bed, THAT outlet works.

The outlet for the refrigerator doesn't work. I can only make it work by plugging in an extension cord from an outside source.

I can't find breakers and think that could be the problem. WHERE ARE THEY??  ???

Monte

To get the refrigerator to work, I plugged it in from the house to an outside plug. 

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: One side of electrical outlets work; others do not! ---Ideas??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »
Check to see if any of them are GFI controlled.   An tripped GFI will turn off all outlets below it electrically.  Reset it.    It that checks out negative, check for a tripped circuit breaker.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:57:57 PM »
In a pop up breakers can be hard to find.. however what you need to do is trace wires

Now.. You have one of two power inlet systems.. Either there is a cord, that passes through the wall, or there is a power "inlet" (it's like an outlet save it's a plug instead of a socket in most cases. In any case it is the place you hook up a cord)

If your have a hard wired cord... Well, the breakers are on the end of it, it's that simple, it runs direct to the breaker box. Just follow the cord

If you have an inlet.. Then see if you can spot the back side of the inlet.. and follow the wire that's attached there

You will find the breaker box quickly enough.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

loboshe

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
Check to see if any of them are GFI controlled.   An tripped GFI will turn off all outlets below it electrically.  Reset it.    It that checks out negative, check for a tripped circuit breaker.

What does GFI stand for?

Thanks.

loboshe

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:59:13 PM »
I have a cord that pulls out and plugs into a source of electricity. I went in to where it goes into a box, but the end of the wires are just metal clips that plug into each other. ???  I'm lost.

In a pop up breakers can be hard to find.. however what you need to do is trace wires

Now.. You have one of two power inlet systems.. Either there is a cord, that passes through the wall, or there is a power "inlet" (it's like an outlet save it's a plug instead of a socket in most cases. In any case it is the place you hook up a cord)

If your have a hard wired cord... Well, the breakers are on the end of it, it's that simple, it runs direct to the breaker box. Just follow the cord

If you have an inlet.. Then see if you can spot the back side of the inlet.. and follow the wire that's attached there

You will find the breaker box quickly enough.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
GFI = ground fault interrupter, just like the ones in a stick house. They have a pair of buttons between the receptacles in a duplex. Sometimes they'll have some of the receptacles wired to one GFI and the remaining receptacles wired to a different GFI. One of the GFI's might have tripped. If so, all you need do is push a button to reset it.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

loboshe

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
OK, I feel pretty stupid. They are generally marked red and white, and these were marked brown. And with me having cataracts, I couldn't see it.  So I just went in and pushed the button--VOILA. Everything now works!!

Thank you.

p.s Am getting cataract surgery in August. lol.

GFI = ground fault interrupter, just like the ones in a stick house. They have a pair of buttons between the receptacles in a duplex. Sometimes they'll have some of the receptacles wired to one GFI and the remaining receptacles wired to a different GFI. One of the GFI's might have tripped. If so, all you need do is push a button to reset it.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »
I have a cord that pulls out and plugs into a source of electricity. I went in to where it goes into a box, but the end of the wires are just metal clips that plug into each other. ???  I'm lost.

Oh oh.  OK, here is what a GFI (GFCI) does and an illustration of what it looks llike.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/99.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:17:19 PM by Carl L »
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for the feedback.

Pretty sneaky of them having brown buttons.

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:35 PM »
Our GFI outlets have white buttons, the same color as the outlet, and hard to see unless you look close.  And one is on the underside of a cabinet and can't be seen without stooping.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »
You can change the GFI s for ones with button colors that are more visible  ;)

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:29:53 PM »
Nah, I know, now, when one of them trips just by what stops working :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 09:36:22 AM »
Glad you got the electric back.  Thanks for the feedback.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE