EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: How do you get those black streaks off?  (Read 51120 times)

JonnysX2

• ---
How do you get those black streaks off?
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:19:58 PM »
Right where the water runs from the gutters off the roof, the slide out and I guess mostly everywhere - I have those black streaks that I CAN NOT GET OFF!  Been this way since i bought it, and its a 2003 - so who knows when they were cleaned if ever. Anyways, I tried full strength simple green, this strong orange citrus cleaner, streak remover from Wal-Mart (junk) and nothing is getting rid of these.  I've been rubbing till I couldn't move my arms and this is a 30 footer!  Any ideas?  Plans are to sparkle this up so I can wax it before winter.  PS- another camper told me mop-n-glow works great as a protectant.  ever heard of that?

Thank you!

Carney3

• ---
Re: How do you get those black streaks off?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
I use Wesley's Tire Cleaner.  Spray it on, use a wet WHITE terry cloth towel to effortlessly wipe off the streaks and hose it down well.  Don't let the light blue color scare ya.  I have not had it to stain anything so far. Be sure not to leave it on too long and always use a white towel, colored towels will bleed on to the surface and well let's just say the black streak will no longer be the problem.   You can also use the cleaner and again a white towel lightly dampened to get rid of stains in carpet, blot as dry as possible with white dry towel.  I have had no success with removing a stain made by cool-aid, tough stuff there.  I use the stuff on tires, carpet, boat, ice chest, stubbborn spots on my awnings, cause I don't know what others recommend for awnings, my biggest problem.  May want to do a test spot down low just to see how well it does for you.  One thing I found out about the black streaks if you don't scrub the roof real often the streaks just keep getting worst. Give it a try my buddy did and he was shocked at how easy it cleaned it.  Don't know about mop N glow.  I use Turtle Wax paste on my truck and 34'11 camper, talking about your arms falling off, do both the same day.   

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
We have used DriWash n Guard for years which also removes black streaks.  There is also products specifically made to remove black streaks however we like DWG better.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:12:50 AM »
Most good car cleaner/polishes will remove black streaks, though it may still take some rubbing. Detergents generally will not. They make aftermarket gutter extensions so that the run-off does not go down the side. That helps keep the streaks off.

Dri-wash is good (I use it on the more difficult parts and Protect-all elsewhere), but for black streaks you need more "cleaner' and less "shiner". One of the marine or auto de-oxidizer products would probably be a good choice. They are designed to remove surface haze, which should include the black stains.

The nature of the black streak is whatever grime has accumulated on your roof and then run off with the rain water. What works for one person may not work for another because their "black" is chemically different. Sometimes you have to try multiple products to find what will cut through the particular accumulation you have. In your case, with 5+ years of accumulation, it may take multiples to get through it all. The de-oxidizers, though, are essentially rubbing compounds that actually remove a bit of the surface, so they should get the dirt.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
Try plain old bleach in an inconspicuous area and rinse thoroughly. May just be mold/mildew.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Bob Flight

• ---
  • 39 yrs of class A & counting
    • RV Projects
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
I've been using softscrub for the past 15 yrs.  Even on the yearly reoccuring streaks it does not dull the finish any faster than maother nature.
Bob Flight, Rochester, NY- '02 Travel Supreme & '89 Georgie Boy Encounter, '89 Rubber Roof replaced, see RV-reroof.  '86-'89 John Deere Chassis Manual @ JD Manual

JonnysX2

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:07:54 PM »
Excellent!  Thank you all very much!  I haven't tried any of those things yet, but will now.  Thanks again.

Rex

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
Rubbwe roof cleaner works great to remove black streaks.  Not so good cleaning a rubber roof!

Rex
2001 Monaco 40' Diplomat being pushed by an 08 Honda CRV

papahog

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »
Question.  How do you get the black streaks off if you can not do it yourself?

I would like each year a year or so to have the outside detailed by someone experienced in this.  Someone to detail it.  Wash Wax the whole outside.  Someone who will not harm my finish or roof.

I can not be the only one in this situation.  I take my truck into a detail shop each spring.  What to do with a 27ft trailer>
Ken
06 F-150 4x4 pulling an 2008 27ft Cougar.
40,000 miles year ending June 2008
What a trip.

shovelguy

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:49:20 PM »
Over the years I have tried most of the commercially available products, most just don't work. This year I did find out that wet dyer sheets seem to as well if not better than any of the commercial products and they also  will remove bugs and road tar from the front end of our 5'er, without a lot of elbow grease.
Shovelguy and his bride of 37 years

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
Napalm.   Has anyone tried napalm?
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Carney3

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
I forgot this one "Magic Eraser"! I think made by Mr Clean or something, and you can get the store brand for half the price, just as good too.  Wet the front end of the truck or RV down for a couple of minutes and it will clean them right off. I dip mine in my bucket of car wash mixture for a little added help.  Works well on those black streaks, glass, mirrors, chrome and plastic trim also.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 03:31:02 AM »
Ken,

I've seen many "pro" detailers come to campgrounds and to rallies. You might want to ask while staying at various camprgounds &/or when making reservations if they have a local/visiting detailer.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

papahog

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:58:25 AM »
Tom, Thanks, I remember seeing a professional with truck and all the equipment detailing a rig while on my last trip.  I had forgot about that.  In fact there was a sign in the laundry/shower room for this business.  Thanks for reminding me.
Ken
06 F-150 4x4 pulling an 2008 27ft Cougar.
40,000 miles year ending June 2008
What a trip.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
Napalm.   Has anyone tried napalm?
It's on the American Heart Association's "Do Not Use" list. Palm oil is very high in cholesterol.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 10:50:59 AM »
There are independent RV detailers in many areas (larger metro areas or where there are many RVs, e.g.at a large lake). RV dealers often supply the service too, though with mixed results (they may just have their "lot boy" clean yours up, just like they do the ones for sale - the standards aren't real high).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia

teallen51

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »
Being a new RV owner this year I am in the learning process on many things.  I spend a lot of time at my RV dealer asking questions about products,  they recommended "RV DO" by orange product corp.  This stuff is amazing you spray on wait a couple of seconds and wipe off with a cloth,   no elbow grease required .  It is biodegradable, non-toxic, completely safe. The black streaks come off with litte effort.  The down side is that it is an expensive product $20 for a 32 oz bottle, but like the salesperson said you get what you pay for.  A lot of other products for less money,  but require some elbow grease to get off.

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
I have no idea whether the product is good or not, but here is the source for RV DO.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia

Buttermilk

• ---
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
AquaEZ Spa and filter cleaner. You can get this stuff at Lowes and it removes the streaks effortlessly. Just spray and wipe. It won't hurt the finish either. About $5.00 a bottle.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/mccoysphotos/aquaez.gif
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:58:57 PM by Buttermilk »

68sportcoup

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »
i looked at lowes and could not find the stuff.
even whent to the local spa dealer.
all he had was some filter cleaner that was 20.00 a bottle it was citrus.
and he said it probly wouldnt work.
im in newengland maybe the aqua ez is not in this area.
a guy at work said to check wallmart.
ill have to look around.

blackshadow43

• ---
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »
The best thing I have found to use is Mean Green. You can find this at any Dollar General store and is 5 bucks a gallon.I just spray it on and rub it down with my rv brush and then rinse off. This stuff works great for cleaning the rubber roof as well.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 06:38:57 PM »
Full strength Simple Green works for me -  spray it on, rub with sponge, and rinse off immediately.  Beware of using it on laquer striping - it is a pretty good laquer remover too.  Try on a small, unnoticable location.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

brcole

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
I used evrything in the RV store including mean green and simple green and every other color....... but Soft scrub and a little elbow grease was the ONLY thing that worked!!!!!

1joester2

• ---
  • Apeo - forever in our hearts. New dog: Duh Kooky
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
Save yourselves a few dollars....

I have discovered that the dollar store citrus cleaner is good for bugs, black streaks, whatever I wanted to clean.

Joe
Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol
2001 Coachmen 220RK W/GM 7.4 Vortec

PatrioticStabilist

• ---
  • Carolyn (mom), Tom (Dad), and Sue Anne (daughter)
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
This may be wrong but I used mineral spirits.  There were lots of black streaks on this old 1991 and they all came off.  Then I waxed it, so far so good, but I'm sure they will be back again over time.  It doesn't seem to have hurt anything or discolored it.
Added 1992 American Eagle diesel pusher 38 ft

Winnie Sightseer 29 ', 2005 Class A 2 slides!  Bought 5/5/2010, Sold 1/7/2012. Added Tru Center , Trac Bar,  Air bags, Bilstein shocks Compressor for air bags, new awnings . New tires. New satellite dome, 2 flat screens
SOLD 6/17-10 Ford Aluma Lite

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
The best black streak remover I have seen is Korkay. We use it at a dealership where I had a part time job. Not to be used extensively on a painted surface but will work well with all trailers. I use it sparingly on my Class A coach with no problems. It really does work.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 10:10:45 AM »
The reason you see so many different answers is that the chemical make-up of the streak varies considerably. Part of it is probably chalk (for RVs with a rubber roof), but the rest is dirt and grime from the air and rain water that has accumulated on the roof and then runs down. In some areas that means acids (acid rain content), smoke stack residue, tree saps, greases, bird dung with various berry and nut juices or insect residue, etc.  And the degree to which is penetrates the finish on the RV depends on the material, paint vs fiberglass or aluminum, gel coat, clear coat or none, etc.  You may find something that works great on your rig but has little effect on somebody else's. Or the streak content may change if you camp in a different region.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia

waroland

• ---
  • Mt Juliet, TN
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
The best cleaner ever is "Awsome" from Dollar General Stores. I will not damage your finish and will remove all black streaks. It also cleaned the molding on my 5er.
2002 Fleetwood Revolution
2006 Honda CR-V

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »
The best cleaner ever is "Awsome" from Dollar General Stores. I will not damage your finish and will remove all black streaks. It also cleaned the molding on my 5er.

Well, I saw this posted elsewhere, so we went and got some.  It actually does work pretty danged good.  Now, the Simple Green we had also worked, so I think that maybe my black streaks weren't so bad.  My trailer is still pretty new, so it hasn't had time to streak real bad.  But I will certainly put in a good word for the Awesome.  It is some pretty good stuff.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

waldo

• ---
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:32 PM »
My motorhome sat for several years and I thought the black streaks were going to be a permanent paint scheme.   I tried numerous products and techniques, with little or no success.  What I found worked best was Windex with a touch of liquid TSP added.  I sprayed it on, then wiped it immediately with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser... No trace of the streak at all.  Just to be safe, I sprayed the area with straight Windex and wiped with a clean towel... looks like new.