EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis Brake Problems?  (Read 49300 times)

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
  • 8,600 feet elevation up in the Rockies
Re: W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis Brake Problems?
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2009, 12:00:29 AM »
RickandCheryl, I'm just curious if you sent in your repair receipts to Workhorse yet?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2 toads, depending on purpose:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2005 Hyundai Elantra

Yambor44

• ---
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »
Hello all. I found this forum by doing a Google search on Workhorse Brake Recall. Yesterday evening I was heading out to the beach for the weekend with my wife. Brake calipers on the front seized up pretty good. I was able to limp it home. I did have this problem last year with the rear brakes and after letting them cool down at a gas station they freed up and I was able to carry on without anymore problems. This time however, the problem was more severe. The ABS light came on after I shut it down and then started up later and I lost all brakes (pedal to the floor). Luckily this was in the driveway when attempting to park.

I do have have my recall notice and have called a local WH dealer here in Ocala Florida. The rep said they would replace only the parts needed at this time. Getting ready to take it there now.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob

JonahNaz

• ---
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
Rob,

I had a similar problem and started a thread "W22 Chassis - Total Brake Failure" if you want to track a similar issue.

When I called Workhorse, they were very helpful to include towing my MH about 100 to a service center for repair.  The detail are in the other thread.  Please keep us posted on how your repairs go and how Workhorse handles your problem.

JonahNaz
JonahNaz

2003 National Dolphin LX 6355, W22 Chassis

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
Rob, you came to the right place for information about the Workhorse Brake problems.  Only hard facts here, and no cheerleading......as you know, there is an "interim" notice that was sent out to the current Workhorse Chassis owners.  You will receive an "official" notice sometime in the Fall when Workhorse has the correct calipers (and pins) for the 48,000 chassis under the recall.

Make sure you have your owner information updated at the Workhorse.com site, and you will be notified via online and via hard copy, since you are the current owner.

Oh...WELCOME HERE!   :D

2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

Richard 34A

• ---
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
Like many here, I have received an email or two and a recall notice (brake) from Workhorse for my W20 chassis. (Only took 2 1/2 years but who's counting the years or mileage.) When I go to the WH website and log-in, I can't find the brake recall information. I don't find it listed under 'My Workhorse' 'Service', 'Support' and don't seem to see any recall information at all.

Where would I find the recall information at their website?
Workhorse Owners: We won! Brake Recall in Effect!

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »
Richard....You will find that under "completed Campaigns" and "Open Campaigns" under "My Workhorse" when you log in.

There is no brake recall yet...just the fuel rail clip and the steering thing in my motorhome.

They will insert the Brake recall under the "open campaign" when the recall happens....its just not happening yet.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

Richard 34A

• ---
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »
Richard....You will find that under "completed Campaigns" and "Open Campaigns" under "My Workhorse" when you log in.

There is no brake recall yet...just the fuel rail clip and the steering thing in my motorhome.

They will insert the Brake recall under the "open campaign" when the recall happens....its just not happening yet.

Thanks FrontrangerRVer; I do have the fuel rail clip listed but nothing else. Guess it just seems logical to me that the information would be posted at the WH website but was surprised when I couldn't find it.

Oldchief

« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2009, 01:46:02 PM »
I recently experienced my second brake failure on my 2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE with the Workhorse chassis. The second failure occurred two weeks and 150 miles after the first was repaired. The big difference regarding the second failure, was a total loss of braking. The heat generated by the stuck caliper boiled the brake fluid, thus causing a total loss of braking action. I'm not sure most owners affected by this problem realize this can occur.

Adding insult to injury, the authorized Workhorse repair center making the repairs informs me that Workhorse has no parts available for the repairs. My rig is going into it's third week at the repair center awaiting parts. I am being told it will be sometime in August before any parts are available. I have lost the use of this $100K+ investment, and my safety and the safety of others has been compromised due to inaction by Workhorse.

I believe this problem is much more serious than the recall indicates. I hope it doesn't take the loss of life or serious injury to someone to get this corrected. Is a class action lawsuit warranted here to bring attention to just how serious this problem is? I'm beginning to think so. If you own one of the affected rigs, be aware that you can experience a sudden total loss of braking.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
Welcome to rvforum!  Glad to have you aboard!
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Datastorm - F1
Our location
Our blog
Our web site
Our weather

Richard 34A

• ---
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
I believe this problem is much more serious than the recall indicates. I hope it doesn't take the loss of life or serious injury to someone to get this corrected. Is a class action lawsuit warranted here to bring attention to just how serious this problem is? I'm beginning to think so. If you own one of the affected rigs, be aware that you can experience a sudden total loss of braking.

Welcome aboard and sorry to hear of your brake problems. Unfortunately, I can say that nothing you wrote surprises me, but if you dig around at the different RV forums, you'll see that I've made this as big as issue as I could, taking Workhorse to task for the last 2 1/2 years at their lack of response to such a serious safety issue. Some will tell you that it has finally been resolved, since the NHTSA forced a recall.

By the time my motorhome actually gets the inspection and possible repair, I will have driven it with this safety defect for over three and a half years... quite a black-eye on WH, in my opinion.

jjoray

« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »
I have had the same problem with the brakes that most of you have had.  I also got the letter. I ignored the fact that they were only going to reimburse after Nov, 2007(My failure was May 2007) and sent all the paperwork into Workhorse.  This is what I was advised to do after talking to their customer center.  I received a denial of my claim with no reason.  I AM MAD!  They have had brake problems with these chassis's since early 2000 and have done nothing but skirt the issue.  When I had my failure the dealer that I was towed to said that Workhorse was having lots of brake problems, but they wouldn't do anything about mine.  $2800 later and 2 years and I find out that they lied!!!  I am thinking the same and someone else that posted earlier here, maybe it is time for a class action suit.

winnie35

• ---
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2009, 03:31:18 PM »
I have had the same problem with the brakes that most of you have had.  I also got the letter. I ignored the fact that they were only going to reimburse after Nov, 2007(My failure was May 2007) and sent all the paperwork into Workhorse.  This is what I was advised to do after talking to their customer center.  I received a denial of my claim with no reason.  I AM MAD!  They have had brake problems with these chassis's since early 2000 and have done nothing but skirt the issue.  When I had my failure the dealer that I was towed to said that Workhorse was having lots of brake problems, but they wouldn't do anything about mine.  $2800 later and 2 years and I find out that they lied!!!  I am thinking the same and someone else that posted earlier here, maybe it is time for a class action suit.
two of my three brake repairs were made in june and aug of 2007. I expect to get denied as well. I agree a class action might be the best route.
2004 winnie adventure... 22.5 wh

rickandcheryl

• ---
« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2009, 11:16:35 AM »
Just got back from 2 months on the road, no brake problems but lost two dash air conditioning compressors (Charleston, SC and Las Cruces, NM) and two tires (Phoenix AZ). Yes, I have sent all my documentation to Workhorse. Still waiting of course, and I think it will be a VERY LONG wait. 
RickandCheryl, 2011 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y, 2003 Acura Toad.

DF2448

• ---
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2009, 07:07:31 AM »
I had a left front brake failure and brake overheating issue yesterday evening including a small fire. Luckily it happened less than a mile from the campground and was and was able to extinguish it and cool it off and limp into the campground.

JonahNaz

• ---
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Glad you are safe and were able to put the fire out.

Please keep us posted on how Workhorse and the serice center handle the issue.  I posted my experience in a different thread so I will not repeat my comments here.  I will say that Workhorse did take care of the towing and service costs.  They will have you do a 'drivability test' before they will authorize a tow.  As for me, with a fire around the brakes, I would insist on Workhorse paying for a tow.

JonahNaz

2003 National Dolphin LX 6355, W22 Chassis

RetiredLE

• ---
  • Jan says: "You don't have to shovel SUN!"
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »
Any update on this issue?  Have not heard anything from Workhorse or my dealer.
"We survived for several days on nothing but food and water"

--- W. C. Fields

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2010, 06:52:15 AM »
Check the sticky at the top of the Motorhome Board for the Workhorse information site.  That is the latest information we have from Workhorse about the brake issue.  We hear that the production is now starting for the Bosch replacement calipers, and the rumor is (again) that the date of the official recall could be around Fall this year.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

RetiredLE

• ---
  • Jan says: "You don't have to shovel SUN!"
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
Ok thanks.   Just getting a bit frustrated with the delays - as I am sure the thousands of other affected Workhorse owners are....
"We survived for several days on nothing but food and water"

--- W. C. Fields

edgray

• ---
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
Ok thanks.   Just getting a bit frustrated with the delays - as I am sure the thousands of other affected Workhorse owners are....

RetiredLE:  you are correct about the thousands of owners.....and Mark's advice to check the Brake Recall Resource Center on workhorse.com is about all we can do while we wait.   :(

We are told that all the affected owners WILL receive another letter from Workhorse once the parts are available and the actual recall is launched.  Then we can make an appointment with the ASC of our choice and get this issue resolved. Ed

Lindsay Richards

• ---
  • http://www.linandnancy.com/
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »
We had a total brake failure on our W-22. Fortunately nobody was hurt. We had to be towed to a Work Horse dealer and got them inspected and repaired. We picked it up yesterday and it runs great now. It was about $1500, but covered under the recall. They put back the same design rotors as the new ones are not ready. I talked with them today about the refund of the towing bill as this seems only fair. When the new parts are designed and made, I will be getting this installed.

Richard 34A

• ---
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »
They put back the same design rotors as the new ones are not ready. I talked with them today about the refund of the towing bill as this seems only fair. When the new parts are designed and made, I will be getting this installed.

My understanding is that their is no new rotor design, only the calipers. My local WH dealer told me recently that if the owner wants new rotors and/or brake pads, that will be a customer-pay. He told me that the new calipers will be produced by Bosch and that at this time, Bosch is not on board with any reimbursements to WH. That could change in the future, since there is a design problem in the calipers, though I don't know if WH or Bosch designed the calipers that were used in the affected model-year chassis.

annelroy

« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »
I had a complete brake-rotor replacement done under warrantee at 25000 mi WH 22 2003. Ijust had it done again 73052 mi. Wh covered the new calipers and the rear rotors. I had to pay for the front and all the pads. My cost $870C$. The front rotors were severely spider checked with several deep cracks. Unfit to use and too bad to lathe. Why shouldn't WH pay for the damage caused by their faulty calipers? I am having trouble getting in contact with WH. (computer-phone).I intend to appeal their decision. From Surrey B.C.

02 windsport

• ---
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2010, 08:08:48 PM »
Does anyone know if Workhorse is going to reimburse people who paid for these repairs prior to the recall? I contacted the local dealer to schedule my repairs,  since I had a problem last week and mentioned what I had done previously and had paperwork to submit for reimbursement. ($1588.00)  They said that Workhorse was not reimbursing for previous failures.   ???  I went to a workhorse service center to have this done 2 years ago, after talking with the district field engineer/manager to take it in for evaluation, and now they are not reimbursing for following their advise???????  >:(

Richard 34A

• ---
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
Well, after more than three years, wasn't sure that this day would ever come. Went in to my local WH dealer a couple of weeks ago due to a fuel gauge failure. When dropping off my MH after hours, I noticed four WH chassis MH's with all the wheels, calipers and pads pulled. I called them the next day and asked if they were now doing The Brake Recall; sure enough! Had to wait until the next supply of calipers came in, but can now say that my '05 MH has new calipers installed all the way around.

It's a shame that it took more than three years to get a safety issue resolved and that WH had to suffer such a black-eye for fighting the owners all the way to the end, but I'll always remember that getting banned at the WH forum was worth it to me, because I, along with others, WERE RIGHT about the faulty brakes and never rolled over for anyone over there. Just wish I knew how many WH owners and members over there, that fought me tooth and nail saying WH was not at fault and it was all owner's fault for the failures due to lack of maintenance, poor driving skills, and 'non-use' have now had their brakes repaired and/or replaced because of the BRAKE RECALL.

TO those people, FROM all the people who helped challenge WH, wrote letters to the NHTSA and politicians, etc, I say 'You're Welcome'...

Anyone who hasn't talked to their dealer lately should give them a call; they might have parts available and can get the recall done. I wasn't actually contacted by WH or the dealer, just happened to stop by and got my done. Dealer told me that once they got the 'walk-ins' done, they will go through and contact all local owners, so you just might be able to speed up the process for your MH by checking in with your dealer.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:09:23 PM by Richard 34A »

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2010, 07:55:42 AM »
Richard - it is very gratifying to finally see this long and difficult journey finally coming to an end.  The problems in another forum were the catalyst (in a large part) of why I'm here and not there.

WH isn't the only manufacturer trying to keep their corporate checkbook tightly zippered up.

I have a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3 L Powerstroke diesel (Navistar).  It's a wonderful engine and extremely reliable.  Around the 2003 model year, Ford went to a 6.0 L diesel which has the very unhelpful tendency to blow head gaskets  >:(.  The last time I had my truck in for service, I noticed two trucks in the shop with the bodies completely lifted up and off of the frame (and this is a small town!).  The service writer said they were in for blown head gaskets and lifting the body off was the easiest way to gain access to the engine.   He asked what year my truck was and smiled when I told him - he said "keep it."

Ford's solution to the problem was to change engines in 2008 (to a 6.4 L.)  As far as I know, if you were out of warranty with a blown head gasket, that's too bad.

And then there's Chrysler.  They have a problem with the camshaft position sensor (CPS) on the 2005 and 2006 model year Wranglers with the I6 engine.  The gear gets worn down sometimes after 20,000 miles and sometimes with 50,000 miles or road time.  If the problem is bad enough, it affects the mating cam gear, affects the engine timing, and it could destroy lifters and valves.  There are a whole bunch of very mad Wrangler owners on this particular Jeep forum.  Some are covered under warranty, many are not.  Chrysler's replacement CPS is apparently an exact clone of the part that keeps failing.  The forum thread on this problem is about 50 pages long  :o

Chrysler's ultimate solution to the problem was to change engines for the 2007 model year.  They are now using the V6 3.8 L engine from the minivan in the Wranglers.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Datastorm - F1
Our location
Our blog
Our web site
Our weather

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
Richard - it is very gratifying to finally see this long and difficult journey finally coming to an end.  The problems in another forum were the catalyst (in a large part) of why I'm here and not there.

John, I appreciate your participation here and not over there.  Your posts are very informative and lay the facts out fair and simply.  It's very much noticed and appreciated, and is the reason I (like Richard) are here and at RV.net.  The management change there and some of the current admins are just as bad as the Soup Nazi on Seinfield.   Some of the sponsors were posting volitile posts also, and the management let them get away with it.  ;)

Several over there had their heads stuck so far in the sand about this issue, and that's why this communication, or lack of therein, by Workhorse caused so much grief to some over here.  Maybe now we can get on with what we like to do best....use our RV's the way they were intended.

Richard...yes!  We finally made it, and like others, we appreciate your posts!  The ones over there who said nothing was wrong (and it was OUR fault) were FIRST in line to have their brakes replaced, and were willing to pay the $1,500 "special" that Workhorse was pushing.  Thanks to you and several others who wouldn't back down from this issue.  Lets meet up for a Coke sometime!  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:06:13 PM by FrontrangeRVer »
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

GrandpaDuke

« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2010, 11:11:37 AM »
Would like to post that we got our Recall notice and have a appt. for November 11th to get our brakes fixed on our 2003 Dolphin LX motorhome with the workhorse chassis, will be interesting to see if this fixes the problem as we had them replace the rotors, pads, calibrers, and Bolts in 2004 and it didn't help, have to go down the hills in 3 or 2 if it is very steep just to keep the brakes from overheating, makes the truckers behind you very unhappy!
I'm looking forward to seeing posts after this recall is all done and how everyone is doing with there brakes on the Workhorse chassis. My Thanks to all those deadicated to getting this recall done!  GrandpaDuke ;)

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2010, 07:10:21 AM »
We had the recall work done a couple of weeks ago and just went over the Rockies on I70. The brakes worked fine but 2nd or 3rd going down some of the grades was common. Used 1st a few times also to hold 25 mph. The trucks were doing the same thing.

The Allison dropped down to 1st  a couple of times going up some of the grades and 3rd often.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

landtrv

• ---
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »
I just bought a new fleetwood terra 34 b and had the recall done earlier this week.  took about 4 hours.

2010 Huricane

« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »
I own a 2010 Hurricane 31G. I had had by far the worst experience ever. I was driving back from Michigan to Quantico, VA. I got in the tow road near Cleveland Ohio, and as I stop to pick up the towroad ticket the ABS light came on. It had came on before for about 5 minutes and then went off, so I pay no attention to it. Well this time 5 minutes after the light came on I saw another warning message on the dash board about erratic speed not matching or some thing like that and the RV would not go anywhere. I stopped at a emergency stop luckily it was close. I put on the selector lever on parking, then drive and reverse and the RV would not move. I proceded and called those idiot ROADCALL ASSISTANT, which they decide that it would be best to tow it to Youngstown Ohio, when there were other workhorse shops closer. I didn't know that cause I'm from TX. The tow company came looked at the RV and said that my differential was broken, even made a stupid remark as us RV'er are drag racing and putting the RV on Reverse as we are driving on the freeways, who does that while you are cruising nice and easy on the highway. not me, that's for sure. Well on the way to Youngstown after 55 miles of towing the RV, we get pulled over by another trucker, thank god. The RV was on fire the left rear wheel brakes were on fire and it was so bad that the tow truck driver stopped on the middle of the freeway and emptied to big fire extinguishers on the rear of the RV. I had walk about 100 yards back cause I was afraid some poor driver was going to run on the back of the RV and tried to wave everybody to stop, or move over. The worse to come, the tow company Rich's Towing called road side assistance for more money cause now they needed to tow my RV on a flat bed cause the rear wheels were leaning in as wheel bearings were melted on the inside, and the rear brakes were burned. I was left on the  cold no towtruck no roadside assistance out of my pocket to tow the RV 3K. Take it in have it checked for ABS, Brakes and, rear bearings. Of course they are going to try not to pay as in my case as now. I wish I new a Good lawyer