Desert Valley RV Park
EPDM Coatings
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Good Sam Club Renewal Notice  (Read 8131 times)

Mick & Pat

• ---
    • Thiswilldous
Good Sam Club Renewal Notice
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »
Within the last week of 2008 I received a letter from the Good Sam Club (of which I am a member) which contained a membership dues notice.

My renewal date is 30th June 2009 which is 179 days away  :o

I have written to the club asking why they are posting renewal notices 6 months before they are due and pointed out that no doubt I will receive several more before the 30th June.

My letter also states that if this is how they squander the members fees I would be seriously considering NOT renewing with a club that is happy to waste the clubs funds.

Is this the 'norm' or can any other member report receiving 'any' renewal notice more that 179 days in advance?
Regards Mick & Pat Podmore.

UK couple who toured USA / Canada. Oct 2007 - Aug 2009

2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S,Cat C7, Freightliner XC Chassis  2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd 3.7 .

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Good Sam Club Renewal Notice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »
My complaint is just the opposite.  Organizations that send out renewal notices a month or less before they're due and because of our mail forwarding, we don't get them in time to meet the due date.  I wonder why, when nearly everyone has a computer and email access, it's necessary to mail out any kind of notice if you furnish an email address to the organization.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
I am not really fond of GS and their junk mail and billing practices or not much that they do.  If I wasn't a lifetime member, we became lifetime members before Affinity got involved, we wouldn't be members at all.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »
A National crisis, what are we gonn'a do...?

I know when I subscribed and know when it is due. Any solicitations in between go in the trash.
Don't worry, when it's due you'll get another notice; maybe 2....or 3....

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
...Logic works like a charm...

tswms

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »
I received my notice today, and it went the same place  as Carson's.  My renewal is due in June, and will be paid in May.  It seems this must be SOP these days.  I also have received renewal notices  6 mo in advance from almost every magazine we take and several other organizations.. The classic is Better Homes and Garden magazine.  My Wife subscribed for two years. She is still receiving offers to extend her subscription.. GO FIGURE.

Tony
Tony
90 Newmar Kontry Star
07 Saturn Ion
Siloam Springs AR (NW)

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
Our GS renewal came nearly 6 months ahead of time as well.  We didn't renew.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
After we called Good Sam and got our address removed from the Affinity Group mailing list, we didn't even get a renewal notice for our GS membership.  That's fine with me as I do our renewals online.
2007 GMC Canyon

Ernie Ekberg

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »
Ned, can you do that unsubscribe from Affinity online? I haven't been a member of GS in forever and still get their stuff. Thanks, Ernie- Happy New Year!!!
Ernie Ekberg, Weatherford, Tx
Bluebird Wanderlodge 43
www.ernieekbergflooring.net

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:43:30 PM »
Ernie, not online, but a phone call can get you off their list. It may take more than one call.  Since you're not a GS member any longer, I can't give you a number to call, sorry.
2007 GMC Canyon

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:34:31 PM »
It is a fact that the renewal rate is far higher for those companies who plan three notices beginning several months in advance so I am sure Affinity is following the publishing industry norms. I also like the reminders.

I am not sure opting out of the junk mail will stop the renewal notices.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »
After we called Good Sam and got our address removed from the Affinity Group mailing list, we didn't even get a renewal notice for our GS membership.  That's fine with me as I do our renewals online.

We had to call several times and still get junk mail once in a while.

TVEDE6

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
I was told by GS, specifically--early notice is to accommocdate full-timers, or anyone else with mail forwarding procedures which may not ensure timely delivery. Have not been bothered by their "junk"--it comes from everywhere and theirs is minimal.
Tweedy

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
Early, sure, but 6 months?  Mail could be forwarded by dog carts and still arrive well in time for that.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

TVEDE6

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Can't argue with that!! Just reporting what I got in response to the specific question I asked of GS rep. That's thier way of duing business, I guess--  I gave a $50 donation to our local PBS TV station--so far have gotten two follow ups-- including "if you have already sent your donation, please disregard----etc." Looks like they have spent it on paper work! Many years ago, was Admin Officer of a lairly busy USN organization-- figured $10/page to produce every outgoing letter-- no telling  what it costs now, although word processors may have held the cost in check somewhat.

JIGGS

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »
GS. is no different than most any other place that has memberships or seasonal tickets. Why do sporting events make you buy your season tickets up to a year early [nascar etc] 
Money on hand for up grading or improving co. How much more intrest can they get from the money coming in earlier than needed ? Also helps with fig budgets for next year
So the earlier they get the money the more they can make on it.

Mick & Pat

• ---
    • Thiswilldous
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Jiggs,

I think it is different for the customer to go and buy as you point out a ticket 1 year or even more in advance, you do this when you book a holiday,it just seems to me a little excessive for a club to waste its funds sending out reminders 6 months before they are due no doubt followed by even more as the date approaches.

Not only is it a waste of money but what about the cost on the environment, I thought the American Government along with others from around the world are trying to reduce pollution and wasting energy?

2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S,Cat C7, Freightliner XC Chassis  2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd 3.7 .

Dave R

• ---
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »
Hey the Post Office needs the business and think of all the people that have jobs making the paper, printing,
sorting, and transporting all that junk. VBG

Dave
Dave & Jeanette  NC
2009 Hitchhiker Fifth wheel Triple slide
2013 Chev Duramax

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »
Don't forget the trash collectors and the land fills they get to build.
2007 GMC Canyon

Mick & Pat

• ---
    • Thiswilldous
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »
Hey Ned & Dave,

You are right silly me what was I thinking, more junk mail, cut down more forest to clear an area to dispose of more rubbish.

This will mean jobs for life for our children and childrens children :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:05:06 AM by Mick & Pat »

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »
Within the last week of 2008 I received a letter from the Good Sam Club (of which I am a member) which contained a membership dues notice.  My renewal date is 30th June 2009 which is 179 days away

Magazine and membership renewals date back to the pre-computer era and has never changed.  Before computers it took six months to process the paperwork and actually get the subscription going.  Not the case now, but companies don't change long-standing habits easily.  Also, I strongly suspect that having customers renew far in advance helps the company in such things as budgeting and staffing.  Just a guess, but an educated one as a retired librarian.  ::)

I do believe that many of the elderly truly do get taken by multiple renewal notices.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if their children learn after their deaths that the parent renewed some subscriptions many years in advance.  Some of the renewal notices are written and designed to make people panic, especially if they're older and more vulnerable.  Not a very moral practice in my opinion!  We keep copies of each subscription and don't renew until about two months before lapsing.

ArdraF
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:55:34 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »
I  even received a renewal notice 3 months after I paid for a 3 year renewal term. Go figure.

carson
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
...Logic works like a charm...

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
I  even received a renewal notice 3 months after I paid for a 3 year renewal term. Go figure.

carson

As I reflect back after Affinity got involed we started getting renewal notices several times a year and we have a lifetime membership that we got several years  BEFORE Affinity. 

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »
I even received a renewal notice 3 months after I paid for a 3 year renewal term. Go figure.

Carson, that's not unusual either.  I think some of the subscription departments are so "departmentalized" that the right hand doesn't have a clue what the left hand is doing.  Once it leaves one person's desk, it's in limbo until the computer says it's time to generate another notice.  Maybe we should blame it on the programmers who didn't know enough to make it stop doing that!  ::)

ArdraF

ArdraF
:D :D

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »

You can't pick on Good Sam for this practice (early renewal notices) as I find it in everything we subscribe to, even the three major genealogical societies to which I belong.  It seems to be a standard business procedure.  When I renew, I make a note of the next renewal date in my PDA, set the alarm for 30 days prior to due date, so I know I have a month to renew, if I'm going to.  I keep it on the reminder alarm, until I pay the bill.  Do that with everything, birthdays included.  No surprises for me.  When the junk mail comes, it goes in the trash immediately since I know what it is and don't fret about it.  Those reminders on my PDA sure annoy the heck out of me though, so I'm always sure to take care of them in a hurry...... ;)

Daisy
Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
Daisy, you have a PDA?  What is the world coming to :)
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
She got it as a free gift for renewing a subscription  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »

Nah!  You guys have it all wrong.  Fred gave it to me so I could remind him where he had to go and when he had to be there.  (I always tell him where to go   ;D)  Also, he never knew anyone's telephone number, so I had to keep track of that for him too.  That was just a step ahead of cell phones with memories.....  Last year, I told him to get his own, so he has finally come up with his own.  He keeps track of the grocery list on his......  He upgraded mine at the same time so we can have the same info and same wiring for both. ;)

Daisy
Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
Lorna uses our Palm for the shopping list too.  In fact, it was Fred that told me about the program we use.
2007 GMC Canyon

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
Ya, my wife tells me where to go too.

I called Good Sam about the early renewal notice and they said it was because a lot of members have slow mail delivery due to  forwarding.  I am not a life time member, so it was real easy for me to quit.  I didn't see where there was much benefit.  10% discount on a camp site or RV Park isn't worth it to me and their magazine is put to shame by the FMCA magazine.
George Drake

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
Ya, my wife tells me where to go too.

I called Good Sam about the early renewal notice and they said it was because a lot of members have slow mail delivery due to  forwarding.  I am not a life time member, so it was real easy for me to quit.  I didn't see where there was much benefit.  10% discount on a camp site or RV Park isn't worth it to me and their magazine is put to shame by the FMCA magazine.

They never could give a good explanation why they sent renewal notices to lifetime members.