Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Entry door stop strap  (Read 9928 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Entry door stop strap
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »
Here is an idea that I posted on another forum a while back.  I thought I would bring it over for the owners that may have similar problems.

After pondering the problem of the entry door on the coach being sprung or damaged by a gust of wind snatching it out of my (or the DW) hand and causing me lots of money  I have come up with a simple solution.

I finally realized that I was way over thinking the problem and needed to keep it simple. I looked at the suction cup rods that stick to the front of the rig and to the door, but didn't like the possibility of damage if one side or the other unstuck and scratched up the paint.

So this is what I came up with. I used about 2 feet of 1" black nylon strap that I cut off of a motorcycle rachet tie down strap that didn't need. I folded each end over about an inch and used a nail to poke two small holes in each end. I then drilled two small holes in the upper door frame about 6" from the leading edge. Then I drilled two more small holes in the top of the door frame about 7" from the leading edge. I inserted two flat head screws about 3/8" long through the holes that I poked in the strap with the nail. I used a squirt of clear silicone on each small hole I drilled in the frame and the door. I screwed the two small screws into the top of door frame from the bottom side, and into the top of the door from the top side.

The holes are drilled at about a 45 degree angle to the door and to the frame to keep the strap from looking twisted when it's open and to allow the door to close without interfereing with the rubber seal around the door. I offset the location of the holes for the frame and the door to allow the two ends to rest next to each other and not interfere with each other when the door is closed.

The approx. 1/4 inch gap around the door allows the strap to fit in without effecting the door operation. To size the length of the strap, I opened the door to it's normal full open swing point, then sized the strap so it is about an inch shy of the full open point. The door still opens normally, but if it were to snap open the extra inch would allow the minimal stretching of the nylon strap with out damaging that expensive door and hinge.

When the door is open the strap is extended above the screen door and allows opening and closing of the screen door without catching or obstructing the door. When both doors are closed, the strap hangs against the edge of the door out of the way.

The best part of the fix was it was free, it gives me peace of mind that the door will not be snapped back unexpectedly, and it is unobtrusive. I also don't need to remember to put it on, or take it off when I get to a campground, and it will be there to protect the door when I pull up to any stopping point on the road and exit to stretch the legs.

One issue that was noteworthy is that I was impressed how thick the aluminum was in the door frame and the door jam. It made for a solid mount for the screws to bite into.

Hope I explained this well enough to make sense to you guys!

NOTE:  SCVJeff modified this idea by shortening the strap and moving it closer to the hinge side of the door.  I later modified my install to match Jeff's.

Sarge
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Entry door stop strap
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:44:43 AM »
Sarge - great tip!  I'll have to explore that for my door.  I always worry about opening it in high winds.

Thanks for the post!
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
Any chance of a photo?  You wouldn't believe what a picture my mind has concocted of this strap ;D
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:55:39 AM »
Here ya go:
Strap Open
Strap Mounting
Strap Stowed

Problem: It also likes to wick water when it rains. I need to saturate it with Scotchguard so it'll quit doing that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:58:13 AM by SCVJeff »

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:02:38 AM »
The pictures make it a lit easier to understand - thanks Jeff.  How significant is the wicking water?
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

LK23

• ---
    • RV cleaning tools
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »
Jeff,

Is the strap hitting the door weatherstrip when closed?
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Cadillac SRX tow car
Army Pilot, Vietnam 1971-72
Author of ACE, The Story of Lt. Col. Ace Cozzalio

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »
Yeah because I don't want it hanging out wicking additional water (besides, it looks tacky). It doesn't damage the stripping because it just lays back across the stripping and doesn't drag. It seems as if when I make sure it's tucked in that the wicking is minimal.

John: When it rains hard I will see a little puddle on the 1st step, roughly what you would get out of a wet shoe. But I think waterproofing the material so it won't wick will solve that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:46:23 PM by SCVJeff »

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »
Thanks for posting the photo's for me Jeff!  I have some of my install, I just haven't gotten around to up loading them to Photobucket yet.  Interesting problem you have encountered though.  My install has never wicked any water. It almost always closes to the inside when I shut the door, so it stays nice and dry. It could also have something to do with the fact that I usually leave the door awning open in the rain unless there is a stiff wind blowing as well.  I like leaveing the door open in the rain if it's not too cold, so the awning keeps most of the rain off the door.  Since I moved the strap inboard to match yours, I rarely notice the strap on the door anymore.  It has saved my door hinges numerious times now that I have been full timing.  Cheap insurance!

Sarge
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

diannabill

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »
Here is an idea that I posted on another forum a while back.  I thought I would bring it over for the owners that may have similar problems.

After pondering the problem of the entry door on the coach being sprung or damaged by a gust of wind snatching it out of my (or the DW) hand and causing me lots of money  I have come up with a simple solution.

I know this is an old post, but I just found it and did it - This has got to be one of the best DIY suggestions I've seen in a long time.  Thanks Sarge
Edit: Reduced excessive quote.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:29:57 PM by Tom »
2007 Itasca Meridian 36SG
2010 Honda CRV

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »
Your welcome! Sometimes old ideas still work the best!
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara