Leveling Class A RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clark Griswold

I guess most of you know I'm new to Class A RVs.  So, tihs may be a stupid question but I need to know. 

Quesiton is - when leveling my Class A RV with hydralic jacks, in what order should I proceed?  I have seen some say that one should level left & right first and then proceed with rear & front leveling.  What's the recommendations from more experienced RVers?  ???

Different jacks may recommend a different procedure, but my Power Gear jacks say to lower front jacks solidly to ground, then level front to back, and then side to side.

If you have a HWH leveling system most jacks will operate in pairs, the yellow led indicator will show  you the low side.
I lift my side rail on low side led indicates. If drivers side both front and rear jack on that rail will drop which ever hits ground first it will wait on other one so they both raise drivers rail together. Once the yellow led shifts to passenger side I will lift passenger rail until the led goes out.
The purpose of doing it this way is so the chassis frame doesn't twist so as to not pop out your windshield.
If your site slopes to front or rear of coach you can again lift in pairs both rear or front jacks to bring up the coach level.
One caution never lift so high to lift rear wheels off the ground, if on unlevel site coach could move off jack system.
I have a pair of large rubber shocks to place in front or back of duel tires to help prevent this.
If your front tires come off ground contact put some blocks under tires for support.
Another caution raising front and rear pairs of jacks could flex frame so your side entrance door could bind on threshold of door.
You may have a 3 point jack system which the jacks are single operation level rear of coach than lift center front jack to level coach.
If you have a AUTO leveling system just let it do its thing. Only one other caution if your on a unlevel site ask for a level one if non than raise raise the coach manually not AUTO.

The guiding principle is to avoid twisting the chassis by raising any one corner dramatically more than others during the process. Most newer leveling systems are designed to facilitate this. As a general rule, get the front well-planted first, especially if it is a single jack in front. Most systems are designed to allow the front to pivot a bit on the front jacks while the actual side-to-side leveling is done with the rear jacks. Techniques may vary with the make and type of the leveling system, though, so please tell us what you have on your coach.

If you watch an automatic leveling system in operation, you will see that it first gets all the jacks firmly in contact with the ground and them incrementally raises each one on the low side(s) a modest amount until it achieves level. Making changes in moderate increments avoids stressing the chassis in any one direction.

I'll let ya know what kind of leveling system I have asap.  I'll be out camping this weekend and won't have any internet connection.....some rough camping hey?!?!  8)  I can say that is a 4 leg system. 

Don't want to start the three point v/s four point leveling discussion again, but my Power Gear levelers have four jacks with the front jacks acting as one.  They allow the frame to pivot rather than twist when the rear jacks are used to level side-to-side.

hmmm, I don't have jacks on my '90 34' pace arrow.  Just various ramps.  Sounds like jacks would be easier.

RV Roamer said:
I see you have a Dolphin. They used Power Gear levelers in the 2000's but may have used HWH in the 90's. It should say on the controller.

I looked and mine are 4 point Power Gear levelers on my 1999 Dolphin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom