Parking medium under trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

likethewind

Hello everyone

We purchased a new Travel Trailer this year. Prior to purchasing the trailer we had a few preliminary concerns, like where we had room to park it. After some preliminary design work by myself, we decided with discussion we had room in the front of our home, beside the driveway. We purchased the trailer and parked it in my parents driveway, the only location with the area required for a 30'foot long TT until the site (for parking at our home) was prepared. With this in mind I began preparing the site, being on a 2% grade I had to pour concrete to support the twin axles. We built two pads, 48"long x 24" wide (level)  to make the site ready for parking. Now with fall upon us I'm planning on completing the parking area under the trailer next spring.

My first question is should I pour cement to make a full size pad under the Trailer, or use pavement, or gravel ? My concern with gravel is since this parking area is sitting on our property line with our neighbours, their front yard is grass. Gravel and lawnmowers don't do well together. So, Pavement is an option, and since we need our driveway re-done it's probably at the top of the list. A concrete pad would be expensive, but a combination is an option also. Has anyone used anything else for under their trailer ?

My second question is, being that currently there is grass under the trailer body, but all the wheels are on concrete, should I place something under the tires ? I read that placing wood planks or plastic wheel blocks under the tires is recommended. See the attached image.

I thought about keeping the grass, but use some differnet medium along the wheel tracks for backing into the final park position.

What's everyones thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMGP5994aa.jpg
    IMGP5994aa.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 41
I think the main thing is to keep the moisture away from underneath your rig. Cement being the best way, grass being the worst. Anything in between I'd thinkwould be fine ( including gravel )

I've never heard of the wood plank thing under the tires. I'd think that as long as your level and you can stabilize the trailer with the stabilizer jacks, you'll be fine.

Sitting the tires on concrete for any length of time (like over the winter when the RV is in storage), is not good for the tires (concrete leaches the oils out of the rubber).  Put some type of vapor barrier between the tires and the concrete...wood or plastic.

The grass will die under the trailer anyway, so that's not really an option.  I'd do concrete if I could afford it and, if I could not,  gravel with a containing edge to separate it from the lawn. Pavers is another option, but they are expensive too and will break under the trailer weight if not well bedded in sand.

If you are going to redo your driveway anyway, that is the cheapest time to pour a slab for the trailer.   Concrete is far away the best surface for storage.  Do not worry about the tires -- they are good for only five to seven years anyway.   Be sure that the contractor uses reinforcing mesh in the slab and designs the surface to drain water away.

Hello everyone

I've already noticed the grass has started to die under the trailer near the centerline anyways, so it will all be removed. As a design note: I have a wall along the driveway, visible in the first image. I was going to form up a concrete walkway and removeable railing along the driveway, from the house out toward the road. My first intention was not to leave the grass anyways, but for this year after buying the truck and trailer it all came down to dollars and cents.

After thinking about it, I think the best alternative is to go with concrete and gravel. I am going to plan on pouring a concrete walkway between the driveway and the trailer, (foreground in the image) and parallel this on the other side of the trailer (alone the property line) making two long rows. In between I'll use gravel to fill in between. This will give a definite barrier along the neighbours yard and also something for the jackstands to sit on.

I think this is a good start to a design that may work. What does everyone think?

Also, in regard to putting something under the tires, in the long-term is it recommended? I'm going to cover the tires over the winter months, but I am planning to de-winterize in March as I'm intending on getting aeay for the March Long weekend (Canada). So thats about 6-months sitting.

Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom