Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Outside hatch door latch broke  (Read 3354 times)

travelingsages

• ---
Outside hatch door latch broke
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
My outside hatch doors have a paddle that releases the latches on either side. One of my doors just broke the plastic latch on the right side. I took the cover off the inside of the door and releases the mechanism and expected to be able to slide the connecting bar out so that I could replace it and the plastic end, but it will not come out either direction. What is the trick here to get the part out so that I can replace it?
Doug Sage
Full timers since March 2007
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J on Workhorse W24 Chassis

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
Re: Outside hatch door latch broke
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »
Doug

They should be very similar or identical to mine ... I carry a couple of extras just in case!!!  Following is a write-up on how to change them on those around '03 vintage:

Replacing storage compartment door latch bolt/plunger

Tools: Phillips screwdriver, drill & 3/16 or 1/4 drill bit, pop rivet tool, 2 3/16 aluminum pop rivets

Winnebago part #121947-01-01A Bolt w/Plunger. Lichtsinn price apx $5 each (local dealer price apx  $12.95)

Drill out old 3/16" aluminum rivets.  From inside the door, remove the latch mechanism cover, and the latch mechanism.  Depending on your door design/construction, you might want to tie a string onto the rod & hold it in place with the clip.  (You're going to pull the rod partially out the side, and if it falls into the door you'll have to take the door apart to retrieve it. If you door is filled with styrofoam, not much worry about this) 

Pull the bolt out (the rod will come with it) until you can disengage it from the actuating rod (a couple of inches or so), taking note of what hole in the bolt the rod is in.  Put the new bolt on the rod, making sure the bolt is oriented the correct way, & using the same hole for the rod.  Shove the bolt back in, pulling the string at the same time to guide the rod. 

Pop rivet the new bolt assembly into place, remove the clip and string from the rod, and reinstall the rod & clip into the latch mechanism.  Re-install the latch and cover, and you're done.

Let us know if yours are different from this description!!

Paul ... (KE5LXU), was fulltimin', now parttimin'...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40e
'00 Honda Odyssey toad
Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
http://www.pjrider.com

travelingsages

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »
Paul:

Wow! What a fast reply. Yes, it sounds like yours is the same as mine. I was wondering if I was going to have to drill out the rivets on the door edge to get to it from the side.

Lichtsinn is my parts dealer of choice. I will give them a call and get the part (and spares) ordered. Thanks so much for your instructions.
Doug Sage

travelingsages

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I received the replacement latch from Lichtsinn Motors. I ordered three so that I would have spares. They were $5.35 each plus shipping. It installed easily and only took 5 or 10 minutes to do. Interestingly, they came with a thin coating of white grease inside the metal housing where the plastic part moves in and out. I was surprised that they had grease rather than a silicone or dry graphite lubricant. Thanks for the help with my problem.
Doug Sage

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »
Doug - thanks for the follow-up post!  Glad you got 'er done.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Datastorm - F1
Our location
Our blog
Our web site
Our weather

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:28:48 PM »
I use white lithium grease in spray form to lube my latch bolts (and many other things too) -- great stuff, and easy to get into the right areas with the little spray tube.
'00 Honda Odyssey toad

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »
I received the replacement latch from Lichtsinn Motors. I ordered three so that I would have spares. They were $5.35 each plus shipping. It installed easily and only took 5 or 10 minutes to do. Interestingly, they came with a thin coating of white grease inside the metal housing where the plastic part moves in and out. I was surprised that they had grease rather than a silicone or dry graphite lubricant. Thanks for the help with my problem.

Does anyone know where to get metal latch plungers or assemblies?
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »
I have got the original style nylon latch bolts from Lichtsinn motors. If you don't want the OEM nylon, there is an ad every month in the FMCA magazine for aluminum slide bolts from www.motorhomelatches.com ...the ad says they will sell you new ones, or will rebuild your old ones. I know nothing about them other than reading the ad.
'00 Honda Odyssey toad

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
Thanks!!!  I had heard that these were available but could not find them using google.  Forum saved me again.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.