EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: vehicles that can be flat towed behind motorhome  (Read 67228 times)

judway

• ---
  • We are back at the house in West Melbourne, FL
Re: vehicles that can be flat towed behind motorhome
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »
Thanks for your concern.

I bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT and lost the transmission the first time out. The transmission was replaced and we made it back to the house after about 2500 miles with no problem. When we got back to the house a letter was there from GM notifying me that the Cruze was not flat towable. No more towing!

GM next traded me a 2012 Malibu LT even. I had just gotten the base plate installed when I noticed the same addendum that was sent to me for the Cruze. I called my dealer and told him that I had found a notice that the Malibu could not be flat towed. After a period of silence, he said he would call back. He called later and said that they were looking into trading me an Equinox for the Malibu. They had also found the addendum in all of their Malibu manuals.

The next day I was called back and told that after consulting GM in Detroit, the addendum in the Malibu manual was not correct and the Malibu could be flat towed and GM would send me a letter verifying all of this. I now have the letter and consider that the Malibu can be flat towed. The how-to instructions are in the manual.

As far as I am concerned, the warranty along with the letter is all that I need.

Why the Malibu can be flat towed and the Cruze can not is a mystery to me. Both have a 6 speed transmission and a 4 cylinder engine.

Other than a lot of work by me removing and installing stuff, GM and Starling Chevrolet has been very good about the whole issue.

judway
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2012 Chevrolet Malibu
Retired Electrical Engineer
W4SRR

Dar

• ---
  • Home is where and when we decide!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
if it's the 6 spd automatic, it is not towable. 
What makes you say that? We have a 6 spd automatic in our Vue and have towed it since day one with no problems, or is this something Malibu specific you are referring to?
Dar & Bill
2012 Winnebago Journey 40U
2013 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute tow bar w/integrated Ready Brake & Breakaway

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
I also have a GM 6 speed auto tranny that is fully towable.  It's not that all 6 speeds are not towable, but there have been problems with the particular model of 6-speed transmission used in the Cruze. The mystery is that the Malibu uses the same  model of 6 speed, yet they say that one is towable.  May be some quirk in the Cruze layout, e.g. less cooling air flow in the Cruze or whatever.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL