Interstate Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fcranger

Would like some opinions on Interstate Deep Cycle Batteries
thumbs up or thumbs down
I have had some Interstate Batteries in the past and didn't have very good luck with them
my Winnebago MH needs some new ones it has Napa Deep Cycle ones in there now and there about 4 yrs. old
I can get at Sam's Club Interstate Deep Cycle for 62.00 a piece, seems like a good price to me.    :-\

I've got two in my boat that are going on five years old and have been fine, no complaints.  The boat dealer put a deep cycle in for a starting battery which is ok with me because this way I can rotate it with the trolling motor /accessories battery.

I give 'em a thumbs up.

I too have had good luck with Interstate deep cycle marine batteries. The only drawback being dealers with slow moving stock that swap new manufacture dates to old batteries. I doubt Sams Club would have to do that.
  Two thumbs up.

bigskymt said:
  I too have had good luck with Interstate deep cycle marine batteries. The only drawback being dealers with slow moving stock that swap new manufacture dates to old batteries. I doubt Sams Club would have to do that.
  Two thumbs up.

***** 5 o f 5 stars for ISB....my oldest one is about 80ah and 4 years old -- still charges and
powers my gear like it was new...I add DISTILLED water about once a year or so....
I use a specific "smart" charger with temperature sensor on the + pole...I attribute the
long life to the smart charger (3 stage)..have 3 other newer ones going strong after a year...

Rich

Interstate Battery contracts with regional battery mfg's to make their completed batteries due to high shipping costs such a heavy type product and Haz-Mat shipping regulations, etc...in an effort to keep costs competitive...

IE; U.S. Battery in Corona, CA makes most of Interstate's auto batteries for the Southwest region...US Battery make good quality batteries, and if your 'Interstate' was made by them, you'll most likely enjoy a long life for your battery...

Without knowing who makes Interstate's batteries in other parts of the country, I wouldn't hazard a guess as to quality in those areas...

Also, Interstate used to have several quality levels of its batteries, especially in the automotive 'starting' types - so you'd have to check the specs carefully to insure you're getting what you need...Their Deep Cycle types have typically been of the 'higher' quality type, in my experience as a battery sales guy...

I still fall back on my suggestion that one buys the highest AMP HOUR rated Deep Cycle battery in the size your RV requires - a higher AH rate insures you get a high plate count inside the battery container - for the most part...

Ray

bigskymt said:
  Two thumbs up.
    This does not happen with Interstate, if a battery is a slow mover they go back to the distributor and get tested and relabeled as an irrigation battery or econo power brand that is sold to car dealers. Johnson Controls is the manufacturer of Interstate batteries

We've had Interstate batteries for over 4 years now and they are still just as good as they were when we bought them.  Just keep an eye on the water level.  We also have a 3 stage charger which does very well.

There is a lot of information on the Interstate Battery website.  If you are interested I have an article that I have permission to pass onto people regarding charging and discharging information.  Let me know and I'll email it to you.  Interstate did not give me permission to post it here permanently on the RVForum.

Marsha~

I like them, too!

One of the advantages...should you have a problem 'out on the road', any Interstate dealer can handle an exchange - even without a receipt! With no receipt/proof of purchase, they go by the manufacture date that is branded on the battery.

As Mexray says, Interstate is a retail brand and not a manufacturer of batteries. The get their batteries from a number of sources, including US Battery, Johnson Controls, Bulldog, C&D Technologies, Optima (spiral wound types), Powersonic, Yuasa (motorcycle & ATV types), East Penn (gel types), and some others. The Workaholic series is from Johnson Controls and the U series (6v golf cart) from US Battery. I could not find a source for marine deep cycles, so it may depend on the actual model name of the battery (Interstate has dozens of battery models, in different grades and prices).

The U2200 and U2600 6V deep cycles are well regarded by RVers as a less expensive alternative to the top of the line Trojan T105 battery.  Several people here have recommended their marine deep cycles as well.

Buy Trojan, little more money but when it comes to overall performance they are the way to go. Father uses them in his comp. bass boat for tournament fishing, 4 x 6  volt t105's =24 volt system. They are the bomb, imho.

I'd say to buy whatever brand makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside...but if you cut open any of the brands mentioned above, rest assured you'll find all the plates and their rubber separators essentially the same...the important part is to make sure you're getting the 225 AH type, as some make a 190 AH rated cart battery in the same external case size with fewer plates...they 'both' look the same outside...

I tell customers that batteries are a lot like tires...tires are black and round, and look very similar - however the compounds and construction parts can vary widely by manufacturer and quality level of the product...

Most batteries look similar; rectangular (optima being an exception), with posts on top - you can't see inside as to the construction, type and number of plates and separators, etc...so you have to look carefully at the specs and 'weight' of the battery - heavier batteries with many plates are, for the most part, a good thing...

If you're comparing two or more 'golf cart' batteries with similar specs and the same weight, I wouldn't have a problem going with the one with the lowest price...unless of course the battery was branded, "Murphy's" Batteries - work great till you need em'"  ;D

Ray

Interesting thread... like others, I've been trying for months to figure out what to do about "house batteries", not an obsession or anything, LOL, but after all this and many phone calls plus visits to many battery stores/websites/measurements/discussions...  I believe I'm just going to drive down to Santa Fe  in a month or so and get 4 GC2 batteries from Sam's Club for $68 each to replace three Gp 31 12 V NAPA deep cycle batteries that are in there now.  The lowest price I could find on T105s was $123 and another "battery store" was in the low $90's for their brand.  The warranties are all about the same, not very long.  The Sam's GC2's are 225 amp hr so I'll end up with 450 after the dust settles and I just figured that there's enough Sam's Clubs around to replace one if it quits, plus at their prices, I can get 7-8 of 'em for the price of T105s. 

I will need to make some new battery straps and enlarge the opening to clear the taller GC2 battery but that should be all that's needed.  Four GC2s will just barely fit in the space for 3 Gp 31s  but it will be fine.  I'll post some pics when I get it going.

thanks, G.

G...Good choice, IMHO....I don't know how Sam's does it with those prices in today's market - I'd jump on their 'deal' in a heartbeat..

You might have a 'core charge' to deal with, so find another battery core to take with you when you pick up the new batteries...

I wouldn't be too concerned with any 'warranty' considerations with regard to GC2 type batteries - the thick, waffle type rubber separator that's used between plates in these batteries accounts for almost NO failures in my experience - this construction is aimed at carts that bounce around golf courses for many hours each day - these batteries are just plain rugged!

Don't forget to get some good cables for your new installation - I wouldn't use anything less in cable size than #2 battery cable for the 'jumpers' between batteries...

Ray

I do know how sam's does it... But alas I'd rather not talk about it.

Trojan Batteries, I do agree they are the best, the very best.. What I do not agree with is the price......  I think the price difference (in most cases) is greater than the quality difference... However.... I'm not yet in position to back that up with fact.

From what I understand Interstate may well last 7-9 years, Trojan 9-11  Otherwise on paper at least there is not much difference.

Some folks insist that the trojan's hold more charge.. I don't know.. On paper, they do not.

IF I had the money.. I would likely buy Trojan's simply because they are the best
But when I need batteries.. Hopefully not for another 4-5 years, I'm likely going to visit Costco,, bit more expensive than Sam's but I like the company better.

Dear John,
I'm likely going to visit Costco,, bit more expensive than Sam's but I like the company better.

I truly wish you would keep your hatred for Walmart/Sam's Club out of you future dissertations.  They really hurt your credibility of your vast knowledge of technical etc. facts.

Sincerely,  carson FL

We shop at both Sam's and CostCo and kinda prefer CostCo but the CostCo stores in NM don't carry GC2 batteries.  The stores are all in Abq which is another 70 miles away which is also a hassle.  The closest CostCo that has GC2s is in Tucson or Denver which is 500 miles.

Just out of curiosity, I called CostCo Corporate to find out why????  I ended up talking to the SW regional buyer for batteries who lives in San Diego.  She offered to buy some and send them to NM, for me..., but they do cost more and it takes another 2-3 hours to go to Abq.  Plus if they have an early flaw, then the closest CostCo that handles GC2 batteries is Tuscon.  I don't know if the CostCo battery is any different than the Sam's battery???  Probably made at the same factory, Johnson Controls or US Battery?

Is it just me or is routine shopping getting more and more difficult?

Want to hear something even more weird, some store on Ebay has T105's for sale for $239 plus $120 for shipping.  I sent him an email with a copy of the quote for $121 from Parts Plus and he said he didn't believe it.  So, watch out!

Every store seems to want to concentrate on the 70% of items that are high volume, to keep their sales up. It is getting harder and harder to find the less popular items, since the stores that carry them need higher prices to cover the fixed costs of a slow moving inventory.  Fortunately, online sources can fill in for many of those needs. Heavy stuff like batteries or bulky items, however, are hard/expensive to ship individually.

Yes, and "wet" batteries have to go by "truck", qualified for haz mat which is much more expensive

Interesting topic. Ironic that I just had a conversation about this very subject yesterday with a freind of mine that sells golf carts and batteries.

In Robb's words the Interstate U2200 is a better, stouter battery than its Trojan counter part. I'm not exactly sure what he's saying here, but the Trojan is a 105 minute battery whereas the Interstate is a 125 minute battery. I'm assuming he's saying that the Insterstates will run a golf cart about 20% longer than Trojans will?

He also said that if the Interstate battery has been on his shelf for three months it is exchanged for a new one. He didn't say what becomes of the three month old after it is taken back.

The T105 is rated for 115 minutes @ 75 amp discharge rate, which is typical of golf cart loads or a inverter in an RV. Interstate rates their U2200 at 122 minutes @ 75 amps. The U2200 has a slight edge and it's a good battery. I buy whichever one I could get the best price on.

Back
Top Bottom