converting from 30 amp to 50 amp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennaman

How much work (and money) would it cost to convert my rv to a 50 amp service?  We just bought a 2003 winn. adventurer, and we took it out for the first time this weekend.  We found out that we could not run the heat pump, microwave, coffee pot, fridge and TV at the same time.  I am sure this summer there will be times that we want to do this (replace heat pump with A/C) and I would hate to shut down the A/C while we are cooking dinner watching TV.  It may be cost prohibitive, but worth looking into.  Thanks Phil

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to not run all those things at the same time? Fix your pot of coffee while the heat and the TV are on. When the coffee is done, cook whatever you want in the microwave. And the frig on propane doesn't use much juice at all. We have 30 amp and I've had the TV, Dish receiver, internet receiver, 2 laptops, and the microwave all run at the same time.

Wendy

We have 30 amp service and have never had a problem.  I'm not familiar with MH heat pumps, but residential heat pumps switch to electric heat when the outside temp is too low to allow heat extraction.  Electric heat may be a problem????  Were you camping in below 32 degree weather?

It can be converted, but it is not simple. Besides replacing the power cord, you need to install a new power center, replacing the the 30/120v amp master breaker and single bus with a  50A/240v, dual bus model. May also need a new transfer switch, since the existing one probably switches only one hot wire (50A has two). Last, you  may find that you have multiple, high amp appliances on a single 15 or 20A circuit. For example, the microwave and coffee pot outlet may be ion the same circuit. Increasing the supply to 50A won't fix that - you need to add another circuit to be able to sue the increased power. Adding wiring to an RV can be challenging at times, depending on just where things are located.

There are several ways to convert to 50 amp or to solve your problem.. Let me suggest something http://www.psrv.net

Now... What that device is is a plug and socket with circuit breaker

here is how it works.. You find the power line to the heat pump/air conditioner and disconnect or cut it.. You will "Insert" the PSRV device in this line so the PLUG end is hooked to the Heat Pump/AC and the socket end to your breaker panel

now.. You can unplug the socket from the inlet (yes the plug end is in the box and is an inlet) and plug an extension (12ga please) onto the inlet.. Then plug that in to the 20 amp outlet on the power box.

This may, however, overload the park's power box (I'm told it does in the park I"m in but.. frankly I'm not sure since I"ve not burned up MY box)

YOu could, if you wished, get a 50 amp plug and a box. install a 30 and 20 amp breaker (or a pair of 30 amp outlets and breakers, what I"d do) and plug into that... (A 50 amp surge guard and replace the outlet pig-tail with a pair of 30 amp outlet pig tails, use a 30-15 adapter for the PSRV cord)

That is the simpelist method plus you do not need to choose or pay for 50 amp sites.

If you want to upgrade the whole coach then.......

If you have a automatic transfer switch, Auto former or Surge guard you will need new ones

You get a new master breaker panel

And new cord

I will address only the panel conversion

Disconnect, LABEL all wires and remove them from the panel

WHen you install the new 50 amp 240 volt panel you will have two main power buss bars, the breakers plug into one or the other.> There are a couple of common panel layouts

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

1 2
2 1
1 2
2 1

Pushmatic panels are rare, they are also:

1 2
1 2
1 2

You then choose your loads so that you have about as much hooked to 2 as you do to 1

For example.. your Heat Pump is a major big-ticket item  If you put it on 1 then your electric water heater goes on 2

Your microwave can go on 1, your converter on 2

Television on 1, Fridge on 2

brennaman said:
How much work (and money) would it cost to convert my rv to a 50 amp service?

Short answer is around $300 in parts and most of a day of labor, maybe less for someone who's done this kind of work before.  Then too not every campsite will have 50A service.

We just bought a 2003 winn. adventurer, and we took it out for the first time this weekend.  We found out that we could not run the heat pump, microwave, coffee pot, fridge and TV at the same time.  I am sure this summer there will be times that we want to do this (replace heat pump with A/C) and I would hate to shut down the A/C while we are cooking dinner watching TV.

Most people make minor adaptations.  Fixing coffee on the stovetop is easy enough.  I use a teakettle and a funnel filter to make coffee.  You can switch the water heater and fridge to propane, and then you should have plenty of power to run the microwave and AC, if not, usually people only run the microwave for a minute or two at a time and you can just shut the AC off briefly.

Phil,

Even if you have 50-amp service that won't necessarily solve your problem.  We have 50-amp, but many campgrounds don't so we step down to 30-amp (with appropriate plugs).  We call your problem "power management" and it's something we all have to learn to do.  If we're on 30-amp service, we only use one A/C at a time and turn it off if we want to use another power hog like the microwave.  The fact of the matter is, you cannot use a hair dryer, microwave, and A/C all at the same time!

What you have to do is look at the labels on all your appliances and determine which ones use how much power and adjust your life accordingly.  Once you do that you will be managing your power needs in an appropriate manner.  It's something we all do at various times.

ArdraF

Thanks for all your inputs.  John from Detroit thank you very much.  Your first option is very appealing.  I understand that I could shut things down, or make coffee at different times, but having 50 Amps available gives you much more flexibility.  If 50 Amp is not available, and 30 is all that is available, I will get by on 30.  I tent camped for the first 45 years of my life.  If I have to, I could get by with less.  I just try to enjoy a more comfortable life the older I get.  If I could improve anything, and the price is right, I will probably give it a shot.  Thanks  Phil

I just try to enjoy a more comfortable life the older I get.

Don't we all!  I just figure I worked hard and now it's time to be spoiled!  ;D ;D

ArdraF

Just so you know. I visited the PSRV web page.. Then made my own (I have the skills) I might add there are "Side effects" to this.

For example... If I'm going down the freeway and the TPMS notifies me that a driver's side tire is low on air... Well the home made PSRV adapter is on the driver's side so there is a 120vac generator or shore powered outlet I can plug the huffer-puffer (Air Compressor) into to inflate the tire.. Very handy.

Just now, since I really don't much need air conditioning... I have a thermostatic plug in that plug,, pluged into the Frost-preventer is a string of rope lights.. IT's duct-taped to the fresh water hose.

If it drops below 35 degrees the lights come on and if it then drops to say 25, the hose does NOT freeze.

brennaman said:
How much work (and money) would it cost to convert my rv to a 50 amp service?  We just bought a 2003 winn. adventurer, and we took it out for the first time this weekend.  We found out that we could not run the heat pump, microwave, coffee pot, fridge and TV at the same time.  I am sure this summer there will be times that we want to do this (replace heat pump with A/C) and I would hate to shut down the A/C while we are cooking dinner watching TV.  It may be cost prohibitive, but worth looking into.  Thanks Phil
    By incorporating a 3pdt switch,  about 50 dollars.

Like John mentioned, the easiest and cheapest way to get more AMPS is to connect another electrical cord (min.12 gauge) to the 20 AMPS breaker at the camping's outlet and connect your A/C to that cord. You'll then have a 30 AMPS for your coach and one 20 AMPS for your A/C.

I have all ready thought of it for myself for down the road a bit.

We just bought a brand new 38 foot long travel trailer that is only30 amps.
What I will do in the future when I want a washer and dryer is just leave the 30 amp exactly as it is, but in addition to it, I will install a 50 amp 220 volt breaker panel which will plug into the 50 amp socket in the feeder panel. Then I will install in it the necessary branch circuit breakers and wiring to feed the dryer and what ever else I want to add on.
Since my back ground is electric, I can do it all myself

For what it is worth, the site is my own and the feeder breaker feeding my power box is a 60 amp 220 volt one that can be changed to a 100 amp feeder breaker.

I mentioned in another post here a while back.

Jack L

Even though this is an old thread, I had a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser that I converted from 30 to 50 amps. The way that Winne built it, all it took was a new shore power cable, a new cable from the transfer switch, and new main breakers. Everything else, including the power center, EMS and transfer switches were the same ones used in a 50 amp system. They just need to be rewired. If I remember correctly, the cost for everything was about $150 and took a Saturday afternoon. If you don't know wiring, you shouldn't try this one your own.

mrschwarz said:
Even though this is an old thread, I had a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser that I converted from 30 to 50 amps. The way that Winne built it, all it took was a new shore power cable, a new cable from the transfer switch, and new main breakers. Everything else, including the power center, EMS and transfer switches were the same ones used in a 50 amp system. They just need to be rewired. If I remember correctly, the cost for everything was about $150 and took a Saturday afternoon. If you don't know wiring, you shouldn't try this one your own.

This is exactly what I did to my 2000 Winne Journey, only problem was laying on the floor at the breaker panel as it is in the foot of the bed. The most expensive part was the 20-50-50-20 breaker I bought from Lichtsinn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom