EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: RV HOT WATER --- STINKS  (Read 4082 times)

AREVEE

RV HOT WATER --- STINKS
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
My RV has a chemical smell & taste coming out of the hot water faucets. Is there a way to get this funk out? The cold water is fine and clear as the river rain but the hot water is just foul.

Perhaps, the previous owner winterized the tanks.  :-\

Should I just run the hot water until the smell & taste goes away?

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: RV HOT WATER --- STINKS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »
I would drain and flush the water heater tank.  I would guess someone put antifreeze in the tank.  There is no need to do that as the tank can be drained and doesn't need any antifreeze if there is a bypass valve for it.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »
There is  a bacteria that thrives in hot water and gives off hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor). You need to sanitize the water system, including the water heater itself. See the santizing instructions in the Forum Library.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

crosscountry

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:41 AM »
Take the relief valve out and use a mixture of white vinegar and water 50/50.  Heat the solution, drain and rinse.  Repeat as needed.

Russ

LV4NYG

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »
did you get this fixed?? what worked?

thnx

mdbass

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
Call me stupid; but how do you direct water into the HW tank?? I know how to drain it; but I can't fill it through there.

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:44:33 PM »
You don't have to do anything - it fills whenever there is water in the plumbing. Just turn on the pump or connect to city water and cold water will flow into the heater tank. Open a hot faucet somewhere to let the air out as it fills.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

LV4NYG

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »
You don't have to do anything - it fills whenever there is water in the plumbing. Just turn on the pump or connect to city water and cold water will flow into the heater tank. Open a hot faucet somewhere to let the air out as it fills.

pump or city water?  city i guess is strong enough that you ....don't need pump on?

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »
Either one, the HW tank will fill regardless the same of the water source.  Usually you don't need the pump activated with city water, but occasionally you may run into really weak water pressure at a campground or elsewhere.  Then you can run the pump and supplement the city water with the supply in your fresh water tank.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
1994 Thor Residency 3500 owned 2007-2012
Now looking for the next perfect RV...

LV4NYG

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »
so your fresh water tank is bypass if pump is off?

typically you're only using the pump when boondocking?

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
On MY rig, yes.  If I have the pump turned off and city water hooked up, the city water becomes the automatic supply to the inside faucets.  Even with my pump turned on, it would probably still pull from city water because the pressure is already there.  But not all plumbing systems are exactly the same between makes/models.  Yours may have some kind of selector switch or valve to choose fresh/city/both for the water supply.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
1994 Thor Residency 3500 owned 2007-2012
Now looking for the next perfect RV...

LV4NYG

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:17:53 AM »
good info thnx

crosscountry

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »
Call me stupid; but how do you direct water into the HW tank?? I know how to drain it; but I can't fill it through there.

If you are referring to putting vinegar in take the relief valve out.  Pour you solution in and replace the relief valve.

russ

mdbass

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »

If you are referring to putting vinegar in take the relief valve out.  Pour you solution in and replace the relief valve.

russ

Thanks-I KNEW how to fill my water-but I guess I'll have to look at the refief valve. If I can figure that out, then maybe I can give it a good cleaning for the sediment and deposits that surely must be in there.
edit: Fixed quote.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:08:38 PM by Tom »