Class C - engine will not turn over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhammett52

I  have a 2003 Coachmen 23' with a Chevrolet chassis, 6.0 L engine.  When I turn the ignition switch nothing happens.  The lights do not dim and I don't hear a click.  I tried to jump it and I get the same results.  I have read several suggestions from a general automotive forum but want to know if there is someting related to the RV configuration that could be causing this.  There is a relay directly behind the battery that I think is connected to the RV Emergency switch.  Is this also the starter relay? 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I am stuck on holiday weekend with a 1200 mile trip planned in 3 days.

Thanks,
James

I can't think of anything RV related that would cause a no-start problem like that. Sounds to me like your ignition switch has failed.

The starter relay in a Class C is the normal automotive one. Basically the coach was built on a standard van cutaway chassis, with the complete engine and dashboard already in place.

Have you try turning it on in Neutral? Move the shift lever back and foward and make sure when you are back on "P", the lever locks on that place, and try to turn on. Sometimes the "neutral switch" does not engage when the lever is put back in "P" and can cause the symptoms you just described. Good Luck!

It started!

The battery cables were loose.  This was the first thing I noticed and I had tightened them up.  I finally removed them and cleaned all contact surfaces with a wire brush.  This did the trick.

Thank you both.  It is very nice to know there are people out there willing to help - even on a Sunday morning.

Wife's Tahoe did the same thing - at times wouldn't start - no lights, nothing. Even took it to a shop - they couldn't find the problem. Took apart the + side battery/cable, and found some corrosion inside the point of attachment. Cleaned with baking soda and water - no more problems. The shop had suggested a new computer! Think taking apart and cleaning the battery terminals on all our vehicles is a new annual (at least!) event.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom