flat tow Toyota Tacoma 2wd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junkman1946

Hi all, I'm new here, but not new to RV's. Were in the process of switching over from a fifth wheel to a Class A diesel. The vehicle I intend to flat tow is a 2006 Tacoma 2wd stick shift. I don't recall ever seeing a stick shift vehicle that you couldn't ground tow. The Dealer says"no problem" , but the owners manual says. "Do not flat tow your Toyota Tacoma". Anyone have any experience with towing this truck? Do I have to go the "driveshaft dissconnect" route?.  I would appreciate any info anyone might have.  Thanks  Frank K.

If it's a stick shift I have no comment save for the bottom line of this post.

If it is an automatic... Well.. a friend has one and he informs me a Drive Shaft disconnect is needed.

The last thing in this post will be a link to Remco Towing..  Go there, Enter year make and model and ... Your questions should be answered.

http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

I don't recall ever seeing a stick shift vehicle that you couldn't ground tow.
And you would be mistaken about that. Modern front wheel drive stick shifts are often not towable without some means of lubricating the transmission. I just read a report from an RVer who fried the tranny in his 2009 Chevy Aveo stick shift because he ignored the manual and towed it anyway.  Lasted about 6 months. It seems that in a front drive with a transaxle it is convenient to use the engine to power the lubrication pump rather than relying on the wheels to do it. If the engine isn't running while the wheels turn, no lubrication and eventually a major problem.

Check the Remco Towing site per John's suggestion. I believe the situation is that the 2WD 5 speed is towable but the 6 speed is not.

Back
Top Bottom