rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 2000 Watt Generator  (Read 36908 times)

biggerbear

2000 Watt Generator
« on: October 13, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
I just bought a 2010 Cougar fifth wheel.  It has no generator.  90% of the time I will be in a park with hookups.  I want to buy a generator for the few times I am not.  Just about the only thing I will run on the generator is my A/C.  The Honda 2000 puts out 16.7 amps peak.  My brother says it will run my A/C.  Another person told me they ran their A/C with one.    My A/C is 13,500 BTU.  The manufacturer's paperwork says I should use a 3000 watt unit.  I realize I will have to turn off the A/C to run the microwave.  All I really want it for is the A/C.  Honda's are so quiet.  This unit only weights 47 pounds.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on a Honda and then have to buy another Honda to run in parallel.  Does anyone else have any input?

sueperdave

• ---
Re: 2000 Watt Generator
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
I doubt very much if you could start the compressor, you will kick the breaker out every time.

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:31:34 PM »
You will be very lucky if it can start the compressor, better go for the 3,000.  Starting current is about double the run current or a little more.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:17:58 PM »
As the others have said, it depends on how long the Honda can tolerate an overload. For a couple seconds, that a/c is going to pull 25-30 amps before it settles down to around 12 amps.. If the Honda can handle that without tripping its breaker or shutting down, you will be ok.   But I doubt if it will...
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

robroy

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
I was able to start and run my Airconditioner off a single Honda 2000, right up until it cylced. Once the compressor was warm the poor honda could not get it to start. I opted for a second 2000 (the companion), and run them in parallel for summer use, and then use a single gen. for cooler camping that doesn't require airconditioner use.

midnightbluel81

• ---
  • 1988 Holiday Rambler Alumalite
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:37:21 AM »
I just tried using my older Honda EB 2500 running my A/C and tho it did it and never popped the breaker over two nights you could tell it got close when the compressor kicked it.  I'm with robroy, I don't think it'll handle the restart.
Chuck
1988 Holiday Rambler Alumalite
Chevy 454 P30
Garner, NC

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »
In my 5ver days I had a Honda 2000 (loved it) that I tried to run my single 15,000 roof AC with it.  It would start once, but not after the initial start.  I traded up to a Honda 3000 which did the job nicely (for a bunch more money).  After owning the Honda, I may suggest the Yamaha. The Yamaha has a 2800 that has a special circuit built in. During moments of peak demand (like starting a AC). It connects the generator to the starting battery which boosts the starting voltage to around 3200 volts.  It's only for a short period, but it does the job.  It may solve your problem for a lot less money.   
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »
I think you mean 3200 Watts, not Volts.  3200 volts could be lethal if you're standing too close :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »
OOPS, sorry it's margarita time............  I am watching old Hitchcock movies, eating dinner and drinking margarita's.  It's raining like crazy in Delaware right now and not much else to do other than surf RVforum.net......................
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
This is probably in the Top-10 most asked questions on the big board and there are many who have done, or are doing it. Several have said that the Honda is much happier if you install a hard start cap on the A/C. Either way the gen is running at 100% load.

BTW- There is no such thing as a quiet Honda 2000 when running at max load.

rambler28

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 04:56:52 PM »
A 2000 watt won't handle the start current I have one. I'm keeping my eye out for used 2000 to parallel it when needed. But most of the time I try to stay out heat .
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

shooterdad

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
I am currently looking at the Boliy 3600, it looks good on paper, they will run a 15000 A/C, constant 3000 watts, electric start, weighs 78lbs,will fit under the bed rails of your truck, has an ECO mode, runs at 56 to 59db, and they are around 1050.00. They have been out for a few years, and are currently selling the 6th generation. I know when they first came out they had some issues , but owners of the new revised units are claiming that they are working out pretty good. I would still like to hear from more folks that have experience with these . Thanks gang

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »
I am currently looking at the Boliy 3600, it looks good on paper, they will run a 15000 A/C, constant 3000 watts, electric start, weighs 78lbs,will fit under the bed rails of your truck, has an ECO mode, runs at 56 to 59db, and they are around 1050.00. They have been out for a few years, and are currently selling the 6th generation. I know when they first came out they had some issues , but owners of the new revised units are claiming that they are working out pretty good. I would still like to hear from more folks that have experience with these . Thanks gang
Had the newest model w/elect start delivered this week, so far so good, filled it with oil n' gas, gave a couple of pulls with the ignition off to get the oil moving, one more pull with the choke on, ignition off, started up on first pull with ignition on.  The econo switch is nice, just purrs.  Hooked up an electric leaf blower just to test, very responsive, then went back down to low idle when turned off.  If it runs the 15k aircon like it's supposed to, will be happy.  Have to wait for spring for that test. :)
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
Hope it works well for you. Be sure to let us know after you've used it some. Everybody is looking for a relatively inexpensive genset like this, but so far the results have been somewhat disappointing. This technology is reasonably mature now, so a reasonably priced inverter generator ought to be practical.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
Will do.  Trying to figure out something that will draw that many amps for a test, can't think of anything.  Just waiting for the weather to get better now, will be fabricating a pull out rack for the back of the trailer.  The winters get longer the older I get, can't play with the toys that we want to... :'(
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
Hope it works well for you. Be sure to let us know after you've used it some. Everybody is looking for a relatively inexpensive genset like this, but so far the results have been somewhat disappointing. This technology is reasonably mature now, so a reasonably priced inverter generator ought to be practical.

So far so good with the Boliy purchased last fall.  Used it on a trip up to see my parents in Upstate, the electric start is really nice, the auto idle (econ) mode works fine, it starts the 15k aircon (even on the 10/3 50' extension cord) (tested that last week during some warm weather here) without problem and was pretty much a miser on the fuel consumption with low load.  As with any generator we have owned for RV'ing, I'll be changing the oil constantly, just my way of doing things...  Found a very inexpensive cover/sound damping "tent" that makes this very quiet unit even quieter, very heavy material with fiberglass panels inside the material pockets.  I can lug the thing around by myself (for now) and think that with DW's help, will be no problem in the years to come.  All in' all, think (at this point) I found a genset much  cheaper than Honda's line, but actually does the same job.  Advantages that we see now, are that we can have the unit in the back of the F350, use it quickly in overnight stops (like walmart) and then place the unit on the mount I made for the bumper, for the longer stays, like at Bristol at Farmer Bob's (we stay for a over a week out there) without feeling guilty about the noise of standard (however capable) units.  Still not giving up my trusty 1k Mitsubishi unit though!  When no aircon needed, that thing is the closest to a "never-ending" battery... it's so quiet and uses so little fuel... a real conversation piece around the campgrounds... that's for sure!
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I saw anotherreport that suggests the newer Boliy's are more reliable than the early ones. I heard (no verification) that there is a new distributor who is providing better service and support too.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

rtluft

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »
I was unable to run my a/c on the Honda 2000.  I bought the second one and had no problem.  I would parallel the two and use my cheater box, one plug in each gen, and it worked great.  If no a/c needed I would run just one.  Now I have a coach, but I still pack one of the Hondas.  If no a/c needed I use the Honda instead of the coach gen, uses less fuel and makes less noise. 
1997 American Dream

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 06:41:45 AM »
I was unable to run my a/c on the Honda 2000.  I bought the second one and had no problem.  I would parallel the two and use my cheater box, one plug in each gen, and it worked great.  If no a/c needed I would run just one.  Now I have a coach, but I still pack one of the Hondas.  If no a/c needed I use the Honda instead of the coach gen, uses less fuel and makes less noise.
Those honda's sure are the gold standard, that's for sure.  It's hard to believe how quiet they are.  I had looked into the twin 2k set-up last year, just could not bring myself to spend the cash with all the other expenses that come with moving up from the TT to the FW.  What's a cheater box?
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

rsl

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
I found this when doing some google-ing to try to figure out about the need for one or 2 honda 2000's.  Has anyone tried this, does it work?  Looks like alot of mixed reviews but might say $1k on a 2nd honda 2k if it works.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv-air-conditioner-hard-start-capacitor
2016 Fuzion 371 - 39 foot Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

2010 Cherokee 36 foot 295U 5th wheel  -retired April 2016

Homplace: Eastern Shore of Maryland

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
I found this when doing some google-ing to try to figure out about the need for one or 2 honda 2000's.  Has anyone tried this, does it work?  Looks like alot of mixed reviews but might say $1k on a 2nd honda 2k if it works.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv-air-conditioner-hard-start-capacitor
Hard start capacitors have been around quite awhile, if connected properly, they should provide added and necessary boost for compressor start-up in some situations.  After all, they are just more of what the manufacture has in the unit in the first place.  They may assist with a 2k unit and a 13.5k aircon unit on those super hot and repetitive starts, however don't believe it's going to stretch a 2k genset into starting a 15k aircon... although I'm no expert in HVAC that's for sure.  Matter of meeting the amp requirement that is provided by your units posted requirements I guess.  I will actually have one of them in the toolbox this summer though, if it's make or break, may save the day... they are inexpensive and may make me a hero with DW....
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
Your a/c may already have the start capacitor built in - mine came from the factory that way.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
Your a/c may already have the start capacitor built in - mine came from the factory that way.
Exactly, believe this is just basic with regards to the way they are engineered.. I have a neighbour, that is in the business, will ask his opinion on if a larger capacitor is sensible or playing with possible damage in the making.  Will provide feedback.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

RV daytrader

• ---
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
most package a/c units will have a run capacitor in them....a hard start kit is a START capcitor and relay combo...it installs in parallel with the hermetic side of the run cap...it WILL help a compressor start easier....also a timer can be added to keep the compressor from trying to start too soon after it shuts off by the thermostat...about 5 minutes will allow the high and low side pressures to equalize and the compressor will start as easy as it did on initial startup.

(22 years doing a/c installations and repairs)
Steve

1989 toyota seabreeze   21'  6 cyl ... first MH

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »
Just remember that it takes more to start an air conditioner at higher temperatures, and a gas engine loses power as you gain altitude.

If your generator's starting capacity is marginal on a 70 degree day at sea level, it probably won't be up to the task when you really need it - when the temperature's pushing the 100 mark.  Or if you're more than a couple of thousand feet in elevation.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 07:22:20 AM »
I know my RV Comfort Mach (Coleman) heat pumps have the hard start capacitor - I just replaced the one in the front a/c yesterday as a precaution, after losing the start capacitor in the rear a/c last summer on a 98 degree day.  I kept the old one as a spare, just in case.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
I know my RV Comfort Mach (Coleman) heat pumps have the hard start capacitor - I just replaced the one in the front a/c yesterday as a precaution, after losing the start capacitor in the rear a/c last summer on a 98 degree day.  I kept the old one as a spare, just in case.
I'm ordering one this weekend, was it a big deal to figure out or pretty straight forward?  Wondering if I should go up there, take the cover off and see what I have prior to ordering.

Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I saw anotherreport that suggests the newer Boliy's are more reliable than the early ones. I heard (no verification) that there is a new distributor who is providing better service and support too.
Well, this is the last post for this, it finally got warm enough and we had the time to test the Boliy with the 15k aircon.  Put the genset in front of the trailer, plugged the trailer into the genset with the 50' cord that we ran under the underbelly to the 50amp service plug in the rear.  The reason for the cord is that we stop plenty of times in the summer (walmarts or what-ever) and keep the genset in the back of the truck.  After a day of driving and having temps way to high to sleep, we like starting the genset without hassle.  Everything works good, the 10/3 cord carries the voltage fine.  Still impressed with the capacity / price / fuel consumption specs with this unit.  Finally, got this nice cover for the genset for our Nascar outtings, it makes an already quiet unit even quieter.  Got a clip-on fan for underneath the cover, this should help with heat distro while at Bristol, have been down there while the temps were over 100deg for multiple days.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
Re: Generator
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
Realize this is an old thread, however in all fairness, wanted to provide update on using the Boliy.....  As advertised, the Boliy had no problems starting our 15k aircon unit (I did install one of those Supco Capacitors though to assist) and after many 10's of hours of use, we are still satisfied.  However, we have had the opportunity to test out the warranty service, hence reason for this post.  At the end of August, the battery went dead in the Boliy (still worked with pull cord) and shortly there after the unit stopped producing AC power.  I contacted where we purchased and they referred me to a business that is responsible for warranty claims.  This individual was honest right from the start and stated that the inverter module on the 2010 models had some returns and was redesigned.  The choice was given to send the unit back for repair or they would send me the new battery and the inverter unit.  I choose the latter, taking my time it took less than an hour to repair, (did some cleaning maintenance along the way) the unit is back to normal.  First thing I noticed is the redesigned inverter module has 4 smaller capacitors vs the 3 x 1k capacitors on the original.  Anyway, while it's unfortunate that the unit had problems, I was pleasantly surprised by the upfront honest way the problem was handled.  In after-repair testing, the unit seems to handle the 15k aircon start even better than it did in the past, with much less rpm change of the motor.

In any event, considering I've expressed positively in prior posts, I thought it only fair to relate the problem that we had as well.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX