Interior lights not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy307

We have a 2005 Jayco Eagle FWT.  Suddenly this fall some of our interior lights stopped working (one undercabinet in bedroom, plus 2 bedroom closet lights).  We've checked the bulbs, fuses and GFCI outlet (kitchen).  The only thing that's otherwise new is that we had a mild roof leak in the bedroom around the same time.  However, 2 outlets directly below leak work fine.  Obviously the 3 lights have something in common.  Is there something simple we're missing?

Your GFIs will be 110V while the lights will be 12Volts depending on if you have a split system or all 12 volt lighting, remove a non working bulb and test the socket for power, if none then check for battery power elsewhere.>>>Dan

Thanks for the response.  If the lights are 12V and it's battery-related, wouldn't I have lost all my lights instead of just  few? 

When I lost some interior lights, it was corroded wiring at solderless connectors under a slide. They were right behind the tires and exposed to whatever was thrown at them while on the road. I'd figure out where the wiring loom runs for your malfunctioning lights. Follow it as best you can to find the "open".

When I had a similar problem, I ended up chasing wires up into the "chimney" behind the fridge. Unfortunately the wire (green, if memory serves) disappeared up there, and I ended up just shorting across it down where I could get to the wires, and it's been fine ever since.

I don't know if your lighting is 12v or 120. If it is 12v I would check the ground in the lights themselfs. Out of the 6 main light fuxtures in my fiver 2 stopped working.  Found that the ground in the units were not connected well enough. The wire came in with the power and was then rivited to a strip that  went from front to back of the light fixture. For some reason it wasn't geting a ground I took them down heated up the Iron and dropped a bead of solder on the rivit and reinstalled them. All work great now. Just an Idea of I have had to do. May not be your issue couldn't hurt to give that a check if your at a loss.

James

Did you flip a wall switch in the bedroom at one point and cut of the power to the light fixtures?? I did that one time, not realizing the fixtures were fed from the wall switch. We had always shut them off by the switch on the light fixture itself. Embarrassing find after working for one hour only to discover my error!!!

The lights on the Jayco will be 12V. You may have a blown fuse in the 12V panel feeding those lights. If water got in, it may have caused some corrosion preventing those lights from working. Whatever it is, it won't be in the 120V system. As mentioned before, grounding could also be a problem, either bad connection or corrosion.

Another one I ran into was one of the flourescent lights (and only one) didn't work in our Alpenlite. After tracing wires all over, we pulled the stove out, traced the wires out through the side of the trailer and into a pocket behind the light/entry hand hold deal on the side. Turns out someone had improperly installed wire nuts. They literally fell off and the wires weren't twisted together at all. Fixed that and the light has worked ever since.

These RV's can be marvels of odd wiring plans.

Back
Top Bottom