Window Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johntk

2007 29R Winnebago Sightseer, F550 Chassis.

The outside pane of my sliding window, located above the sofa, is shattered.  Unknown how it happened.  There's a small hole in the upper right outside corner.  Could possibly be from a rock or a pellet. 

Novus tells me the whole side window unit has to be replaced.  This includes the sliding window as well as the stationary window and frame.  Total cost is $1300 (part/shipping/labor) and 8 - 10 weeks delivery. 

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem.  The fix seems a bit expensive but I don't see an alternative. 
I'm fairly bummed about having to drive around with cream colored duct tape keeping my window from crumbling all over the road.

Thanks,
John

I drove to the factory to get a busted front windshield replaced.  The customer service guy said be glad its not a side window, takes time to get a replacement and they are expensive, so sounds about right.

Hi John,
I don't know where you are located, but in Hudson, FL north of Tampa there is a company, Suncoast Designers http://suncoastdesigners.ccwindow.com/rvservices.html that repair and replace RV windows.  If you are near you can pull in, hook up to power and water and they have a dump station.  They remove and repair/replace your clouded or broken windows.  If you are not near, you can ship your windows to them for repair.  I have used them and was quite happy with their services.

I was told that Winnie no longer stocks windows and all replacement windows have to be ordered and made, which requires 8 to 10 weeks.  In our case in a 2008 the original window we needed replaced is no longer available and a smaller window is now the replacement.  The reason given for the original size window not being available was Winnie had gone to a new window manufacturer.  This was a few months back and was under warranty.  The smaller window really looks bad as the full body paint no longer comes to the window edge.  Winnie said that's the way it is live with it.  There are places that will rebuild the window glass.  Our dealer is now having our old window rebuilt and will take the new replacement window back out and re-install our re-built old one at some point.  Check with your local glass shops to see if by chace they can intall a new glass or know of a place that can.

You might also check with your insurance company about replacement.  It should be covered under your comprehensive insurance.

I would think that any single window pane could be replaced for around $300 or so. The window can be removed, even if it is a fixed pane, and a glass shop can disassemble the window and replace the pane of glass. A couple hours of labor + the cost of the glass. Suncoast in Florida does that for $250-$350 per window.

RVFog Doctor in Searcy, AR, is another place that could do it.  http://rvfogdr.com/

Chances are good (unfortunately) that your window was made by Attwood and Attwood is either out of business and/or not making windows.  Winnebago has a company called Se Gi making replacements, but unfortunately the outside window frame is a tad smaller than Attwood.  Winnebago usually had to order windows, even during the Attwood days.

Your best bet is to have your current window fixed like Gary mentioned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom