Onan generator problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blum 5

Hello all,

We just bought a 96 coachmen santara. before we purchased it the previous owner told us that the generator starts but it
wont stay on due to carburetor problems. We did a little research and found out that we can replace the carb for under $300.
After we purchased it we took it to the shop to get it fix. Once the mechanic replaced the carb he realized that the generator turns on
but once you put a load on it it shuts down, so we had him further investigate. Finally he said that the generator is fried and it'll need
new stator and rotor, and its gonna cost another $1500. ($400 each for stator and rotor)+labor. Just wanna know if anyone had a similar problem, and if so is this
a fair price? we have an onan 4000 with under 400 hours. Also is it easy to replace the stator and rotor?
thanks 

Is the current generator an Onan? Most models (if not all) of Onan Generators will not stay running if the circuit board does not see output voltage. If it stays running, I would double check the diagnosis.

Yes it is an onan. So, if the the stator and rotor were toast the generator shouldn't stay on? do you think that was the original problem?
I wonder why the mechanic said that once he changed the carb the generator stayed running? does it seem like hes trying to milk this
project? should i get a second opinion? 

He said it shuts down under load, which is not inconsistent with the Onan self-shutdown when no power output is detected.

I think I would want to investigate the operation of the governor before I spent that much on a rotor and stator, though. Could it be that the governor simply isn't increasing RPMs to compensate for load?  Is this mechanic a real Onan tech, or a skilled guy but one who is learning about generators "on the job"? A second opinion may be called for.

Definately sounds like you need a second opinion before investing another $1500 in that generator. 

Just in case it turns out that the whole unit really is fried, another alternative might be to look into this RV Salvage yard.  I have never done any business with them, but others on The RV Forum have.  The only reason I mention them here is because I did notice they had a picture of some of their inventory on their website, which showed a number of Onan Gensets on a shelf. 

http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/

I agree with Gary. while there is a possibility it could be a stator or rotor, we know that the stator and rotor are working enough to produce starting voltage, (assuming the generator is being started with the start switch and not being jumped at the start solenoid) which would lead me to think they might be okay. The governor sounds logical to me, but as Gary said it is hard to tell without knowing about the qualifications of your mechanic and his diagnostic procedures. I have seen several used 4kw Onan generators on Craigslist over the past 6 months that normally go for $500 or less.

Blum 5 said:
Also is it easy to replace the stator and rotor?
thanks 

Replacing stator and rotor means tearing the generator part of the genset down. The stator is the stationary windings that are bolted to the inside of the case and electrically connected. The rotor is the part that spins inside the stator and also has windings. It is electrically connected through the brushes. If you are mechanically inclined and are carefull it is probably something you could do, but I'm not really sure if the cost of the parts would make it worthwhile.

Gary RV Roamer said:
He said it shuts down under load, which is not inconsistent with the Onan self-shutdown when no power output is detected.

I think I would want to investigate the operation of the governor before I spent that much on a rotor and stator, though. Could it be that the governor simply isn't increasing RPMs to compensate for load?  Is this mechanic a real Onan tech, or a skilled guy but one who is learning about generators "on the job"? A second opinion may be called for.

the mechanic  is an onan tech. california diesel and power  www.gotpower.com

They gave me a rough estimate. I just thought maybe I can get em cheaper.
thanks for the craigslist add.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom