rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Water leak under fridge.  (Read 9775 times)

coachrice

• ---
Water leak under fridge.
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »
Well first trip in our 97 am eagle . Made to key west with a few small prob. This one I can not fig. Out . The fridge is on a 12 inch pedestal wood ,that has a drawer I can pull out .I see a puddle of water under there that is finding it's way out the side wall and leaking outside . Seems to be coming from the water line running up and under fridge ! How do you get the fridge out to repair . Or is this to big of a job for on the road ? I drilled a small hole in floor for drainage to keep damage to a min. By the way nice koa here . Thanks for any help . 

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Water leak under fridge.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »
What brand & model of fridge do you have?  Does it have an icemaker?

Absorption fridges get a lot of condensate inside and have a drain line to the backside to get rid of it. Norcolds generally dump it in a pan to evaporate, while Dometics generally have a tube that hangs out the access grill to drip overboard. If you r drain line is plugged, or not draining overboard in the Dometic case, you will get water dripping inside.

Icemaker water lines may leak too. There should be a shut-off somewhere under the galley sink if you havean icemaker water line.

Removal varies with the model of fridge, but generally there are some screws in the back, accessible via the outside door. There may be caulking or foam sealant around the cooling unit at the rear as well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

coachrice

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »
Thanks Gary , it is a elite domestic and it does have a ice maker !  I found a turn off under the sink area that looks as if it go,s to the drinking spout at the side of the sink and then that line heads under floor . I turned it off and we will see if that stops leak ,should not take long  to tell . Thank you so much for the help . I'll let ya know in a bit ,

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
Find the condensate drain tube for your Dometic and make sure it is leading outside and not dripping water into the interior. RV manufacturers seldom route them outside because it may not look pretty to have a drip down the side from the fridge access door, but they often don't bother to put a drain line down through the floor either.

There are several Dometics models in the Elite series - which one do you have?  Here is a link to a service Tip manual that covers most older Elite models. Page 28 talks about the condensate hose. Page 31 begins the icemaker section.

http://gasrefrigeration.net/dom_techdata/2707_2811SM.PDF
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
On a guess... Your fridge is a DOMETIC

If you open the outside compartment you will see a ribbed hose,, Mine is black but it can be any color, that just kind of hangs there... You might see water dripping out of it...

There should be a plastic thingy in the end of it

Stick the end out through a vent hole as you put the cover back on

NOTE: the owner's manual on Dometics says to do this
My dealer says "We always do this"   yes they insisted they always do it

When My rig was new  ..... They did not do it.. I had to
When I went back and had 'em do the recall.. 1st thing I checked was that hose.. Sure enough.. I had to do it again cause they did not

With the hose stuck outside the vent.. it still drips.. ON THE GROUND!

Why did I guess it's a Dometic and not a Norcold?

Norcold it drips into a catch (Evaporator) pan.. NOTE.. If it's a norcold this pan may have cracked or otherwise sprung a leak.. if it has,, Do the dometic thing till it is fixed.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

coachrice

• ---
Re: Water leak under fridge. FIxed! Thanks guys
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
How great ! Fixed , found a leaking fitting in the outside box area. What a great site ,,,,,,,,