Harbor Freight has 45 watt Solar panel kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheila1947

The ad says it is Chicago Electric Power Systems and is $159.99 marked down from $249.99. Limit 1.  Does anyone know whether this is good value?

Sheila

What are you looking to use it for?

There are frequent 20% off coupons for HF. That'd bring the price down to $128. That looks pretty attractive to me.

I saw the sale ad and I think it is a coupon price so I don't think HF will take 2 coupons on the same item,but worth a try,I put 2 sets of these on top of my Class C to charge a set of 6 volts that power my C-pak and a  TV in the evenings,on a sunny day it pretty much replaced the amps?back into the battery's,that's with them laying flat,and I was in Washington state in the fall.If budget is an issue,this could be a good deal for you,my cost /2 sets of panels 325.00,quality charge controller-100.00/aluminum hardware for mounting and misc wire,connectors and such another hundred.about 8 hours to install.I have 2000 miles up and down I5 and didn't lose or get any breakage from road trip.If you do go this way and want them hard mounted get back to me as I came up with a pretty  clean install that didn't require any unusual tools or skills.    Bill

I just received an ad from Harbor Freight Tools which has a coupon for the 45 Watt Solar Panel Kit for $139.99. It is good for 4 kits and expires 8/19/11. This is the best price that I have ever seen. If anyone is serious and wants the coupon PM me.

Wayne

BayareaBill said:
  I saw the sale ad and I think it is a coupon price so I don't think HF will take 2 coupons on the same item,but worth a try,I put 2 sets of these on top of my Class C to charge a set of 6 volts that power my C-pak and a  TV in the evenings,on a sunny day it pretty much replaced the amps?back into the battery's,that's with them laying flat,and I was in Washington state in the fall.If budget is an issue,this could be a good deal for you,my cost /2 sets of panels 325.00,quality charge controller-100.00/aluminum hardware for mounting and misc wire,connectors and such another hundred.about 8 hours to install.I have 2000 miles up and down I5 and didn't lose or get any breakage from road trip.If you do go this way and want them hard mounted get back to me as I came up with a pretty  clean install that didn't require any unusual tools or skills.    Bill
That 45 watt (3.75 amp) panel kit will not charge your batteries even on the best of days.  To recharge a battery bank you will need at least 250 watts of panels.  If you look at any battery charger you will see that 3 amp charge is considered a trickle charger.  And also remember that 3 amp rating is rated in full sun with the panels tilted at just the perfect angle to the sun.  You would likely see more like 1to 1/1/2 amps out of them on a good day.

I saw the sale ad and I think it is a coupon price so I don't think HF will take 2 coupons on the same item,but worth a try,I put 2 sets of these on top of my Class C to charge a set of 6 volts that power my C-pak and a  TV in the evenings,on a sunny day it pretty much replaced the amps?back into the battery's,that's with them laying flat,and I was in Washington state in the fall.

There are too many unknowns in your post about the use of these - how many AmpHours is your battery pack? How many appliances were you running?

45 Watts is 3.75 Amps  (at 12 volts). If you are charging a "flat" 200AH battery pack, they you are looking at 53 hours of constant charging to "top them off". Obviously there are not 53 hours of sunlight in a single day...

Frank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom