EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Best Portable Electric Heater?  (Read 6164 times)

WannabeCowboy

Best Portable Electric Heater?
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
What is the best portable electric heater that I can buy for my 27' 5th Wheel RV?

two2go

• ---
Re: Best Portable Electric Heater?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »
What is your real question? Is the electric going to be your main heat source? Do you want to spend the most money you can? Do you want a highly rated, or most efficient unit?
To me, the best portable is the cheapest one that will not break in the next year, is reasonably quiet, and won't burn the rig down. I prefer simple ceramic heaters. Got one at Walgreens for $17 and one at Wal Mart for $21. I think both were made in the same Chinese sweat shop. They work. Warm comes out. Satisfaction.
If you want to pay $300 or up for one of those fancy units, by all means, do so. You can only extract so many BTUs out of 1500 watts which is the max you will get for 110 volts, and other than that, you can enhance some high line company's profit and their advertising budget all you want.
'05 NRV Dolphin 5342, '07 HHR tow'd

mike54

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:37:43 PM »
my first Lasko tower heater lasted 8 yrs my second lasted 2 months this one is another Lasko because it's what is available locally and it don't work all that great. It has a digital thermostat and set at 63 degrees nver reaches that temp. so it runs constantly according to the wall thermostat it's almost 80 degrees but the heater says 60 degrees and still running so I turn it down to shut it off and it stays off until the temp. drops below 60. My first didn't have to digital thermostat and it worked great keeping the temp consistence.  If I could find another without a digital I would buy it.

Barlow46

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
I've had good luck and even heat with the Honeywell radiator type oil filled heater.  Heats the whole room and not just where it is pointing.   

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »
A radiator type or a ceramic element type is your best bet. The oil filled radiators are slower for initial heat, but quiet and even heating once things warm up. The ceramics with their fan can deliver quick heat, at the cost of a bit more noise (some are noisier than others, so check 'em out and return if too much). I would not use the cheaper wire grid heat element types for safety reasons - too much fire danger and RVs are tinderboxes.

If you get a digital control model, make sure the temperature can be adjusted in one degree increments.  Some digitals are switch types, with increments of as much as 5 degrees. That's not enough granularity to properly control the heat in an RV environment.

In the coach we use a Bionaire ceramic we got at Target. Also have a Lasko tower heater in the house that works pretty well and is fairly quiet. Both are digital control models.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:53:59 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »
I recently replaced an 8 year old Pelonis ceramic disc heater with another Pelonis unit. Actually I bought two - a HF 0003 for $20 and a HC 0145 for $70. Oddly enough the cheaper one is quieter than the more expensive one.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

Kamper Dave

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
Get a unit without the digital control. Then when you loose 120vac power and it comes back on so will the electric heater. It's bad enough having to reset the digital clock without getting up in the middle of the night to re-initiate the electric heater.
Crossroads Cruiser CF31RE10
2012 RAM 3500 ST

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
Have an electric oil unit in my daughters room in the house, this thing has been awesome, however pretty big for the trailer.  We bought our first el'cheapo porcelain unit years ago while on spring break in Myrtle Beach, turned out to be one really cold break... anyway, we have two of them now, one for the main cabin in the 5vr and one for the bay.  At like $17.00 how can  you go wrong, they put out heat are quiet and don't have a flame.  I sat on the couch a few years ago with our TT at a Martinsville race, after heating up the TT with the furnace, rest of the time just used the small electric heater on the 1K generator, nice to have options.
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

GKman

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »
Watts are Watts are Watts.  Amish built, Sooper Duper,  space age, German Technology, Magic Crystals.... all the same.
As stated above go for quiet and control features you like.

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 08:35:48 AM »
We have used BIG HEAT in four different MHs and love it because of its small size and how well it works.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100615

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D