Dip Stick length? Mines missing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanhands

I have a 1985 Jamboree with a Ford 460, Carb. It is missing the Dipstick. I know getting a replacement will be hard but I could use a universal dipstick. I just need to know the length that I need so when I put it in Full means Full.
So if anyone has on of these units and could measure their dipstick that would be great.
I am also open to other ideas.

If all else fails, you could do an oil change, put in the specified amount, then stick any dipstick in and measure the length from the top seat to the oil level on the dip stick and use that measurement to shop for a new one that has the same measurement to the full mark. You might even be able to use your transmission dip stick to just get a measurement. Just mark the top if it's too long.

Last week when I picked it up that was my first thought. So I took it to the Ford dealer in Holbrook AZ. They fixed a small problem and did the oil change. I even brought a universal dipstick with me and told them that was the only reason I was doing the oil change. They changed the oil and and the dipstick I had did not fit so they just left it out. So although they did work that really did not need doing I still don't have a dipstick. And I could not get anything other then the one I got in the very small town of Holbrook. So I drove it home,about 200 miles and it did fine but now I don't know if it is still full and I don't want to do another oil change with only 200 miles on it.

Unless you really burn a lot of oil, I doubt if 200 miles changed the level much.

Have you checked with a salvage yard?  There s/b a lot of 460's out there.  May or may not be the same length dipstick, but ought to fit the tube.

I agree with Molaker, cheapest way is probably the salvage yard. If they don't have one they can put it on their locator to find out who has one. Also, they can probably tell you what other blocks used the same dipstick.

The problem is that sometimes the RV version of a chassis relocates the dip stick tube and therefore uses a different stick than a stock van or pick-up with the same engine. It helps if you can eyeball the location of the dip stick tube to verify it is the same as the one you are getting.  Or get one from another RV built on a van chassis. It probably doesn't have to be the same RV model, just one that is built on the van cutaway chassis that is used under nearly all Class C RVs.

Like Molaker said, unless you have a serious oil leak, the current level is the correct level.  Use that as your operating level till the next oil change, and I'm quite sure you'll be OK.

Thanks guys. It doesn't leak oil as it is sitting on my new RV pad and has not oil under the unit. There was a slight smell of burning oil when I started it yesterday to move it but I drove it 200 miles without a dipstick so there is no telling if oil splashed out. After the drive Monday it did Not smell of oil. I will use a Coat hanger for now and then have a universal on hand for the next oil change.
Thanks again for the help. Now I must post another topic cause I have more questions so everyone who was helpful stay tuned.

You might try a length of steel cable, after finding the top oil level, cut to final length and install a handle that also serves as a stop/cover.>>>Dan

I might add that when you attempt to calibrate your new dipstick during an oil change you should add the oil to a quantity two quarts short of normal full. Mark/scribe that point as the LOW/ADD level. Then add the remainder and mark the FULL level. If you have a low capacity oil system perhaps one quart low would be better for the ADD mark.

Drain the oil from the engine, and measure the amount. Add any missing oil, and place it back in the engine so you know where the oil level should be.  If your current dipstick in too short, pick up another one to and rivet it onto your current on to get the proper length needed.  Then adjust the length to what  you need.  it shouldn't take you too long.  Eddie Elk.

My rig has an OIL MONITOR that is broken. So...I've decided to remove it.
I found out where it connects to the dipstick tube, but now I need a dipstick.

Does anyone know how long the dipstick has to be? I know that I could change the oil and measure using a coat hanger or braided cable, but it would be so helpful if someone with my rig or equivalent could measure their's.

I have a 1990 Allegro 30' Class A, with a Ford 460, and the dipstick tube is accessible from the front, under the hood.
Thank you, anyone, for a clue.
Gene

You've already asked this question in another topic - no need to repeat it here.  If anyone can help, please make your replies at http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,119388.msg1086655/topicseen.html#newReaders

Back
Top Bottom