Pacbrake Exhaust Brake- Does this Quote sound reasonable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpemby

I had my local camping world quote me $900.00 including tax to install an exhaust brake.  This includes the part.  They said $699 for the parts and $148 for installation and then some tax.  This sounded very reasonable to me, I was expecting more.  In fact, I am concerned I am missing something.  Does this seem like a fair price?  Can an exhaust brake cause engine or transmission damage particularly one that is 15 years old with 127,000 miles?  We are heading west in a couple of months for the first time and I decided I would feel much safer with some sort of additional braking.

Why are you going to a camping place for engine work??  that's like going to the dentist for shoes. See a shop that specializes in engine work for engine repairs.>>>Dan (or modifications)

The Camping World location closest to me is a Super Center with a full paint and body shop.  I thought the price quoted was good and normally they are sky high on everything.  I never considered that they would not have the expertise to do the job.  Does anyone else share this opinion? 

I am not sure about the complexity of installing the part, but it must not be too extensive at that labor rate. My local Camping World's shop rate was like $110 per hour.

That being said, I have been very pleased with the work done on my rig at Camping World, but that might not always be the case for everyone. I don't disagree with Dan about the engine shop, but, again, found that Camping World was pretty knowledgeable about parts and service that their customers required and that they were selling.

If you are not comfortable, have a talk with the shop manager face to face and see if that works for you. I prefer to talk to my shop people and make sure they have a clear understanding of what is expected BEFORE the work starts. Afterwards is too late.

There will be wiring and hook ups attached to your throttle linkage as well as the brake valve assembly attached to the exhaust system. Also a switch installed in the drivers area and wiring the length of the coach, hard to imagine it only being $148.00 for labor.>>>D

I think I will drop by and talk the manager.  The quoted price was for 1 1/2 hours labor.    I expected three to four hours of labor.  I was concerned that once the rig was in the shop they would call me and so... Oh its going to take longer and up the bill.  I guess all the more reason to talk to them again.  I will post back what I decide.

CW has a Pacbrake sale on now and $699 is a pretty good price. 1.5 hours of labor sounds light to me. It's not a difficult job, but I don't think it is that quick either.  And on an older engine, they are likely to encounter rusted bolts on the turbo housing and other time delays.  Sounds like you would still be ok if it cost $300 labor instead of $148, though.

If I could get one installed for that price I would be in the door before he had a chance to change his mind. Was quoted $2500.00 everything in including the torque converter lock.

The biggest issue you will have to address is if your Cummins has 60# valve springs. The 30# springs found in some older Cummins do not have the ability to withstand the pressure created by the exhaust brake. The 30# springs will allow back pressure into the cylinders causing a serious mechanical condition. The 60# springs will control the pressure.  Don't worry about the shop labor rate, that's their problem.  Be more concerned that the brake you are installing will not cause an engine failure.

I agree with Gary's comments. Five of us paid $750 each for a replacement (upgraded) PacBrake, including labor, but that was in 2007. Here's the report, including comments about ease (difficulty) of installation.

I think the spring tension thing was a problem with older Cummins "B" engines, which used the lighter weight valve springs. Not sure if his Luxor has a "B" or a "C", but the B can be upgraded to 60# valve springs if needed. Extra cost, of course, and something a CW tech may not be aware of. A call to the Pac brake people with the engine model and year ought to get the right answer, though.

I am pretty sure my engine is a -C- model.  I will double check my manuals, but I am going to call the Pac Brake guys on Monday either way.  The brake had to be ordered so it will be a few days before she goes in for the work.  I really appreciate the heads up on this possible issue. 

Pac Brake came out with a newer model a few years ago. Be sure this is what you are getting as the newer one is supposed to work much better. I would love to change mine if I had the extra cash.

**Update**  I have confirmed my engine is a -C- model and the PacBrake model I was quoted is the PRXB.  I am going to call PacBrake tomorrow just to run my engine number by them to see if they have any other suggestions about installation.  Then I will head over to CW and get everything paid for before prices change.

I did call Pacbrake today and they tell me I will need to upgrade six springs on the exhaust side.  The intake springs wouldn't be necessary.  The springs would come from Cummins and I have the part number.  I will call CW tomorrow with this information to see how much this will change my install price.  I am very thankful for the heads up from you guys because it definitely seems CW is not aware of this.

I knew that guys with older Dodge Ram trucks with the earlier Cummins ran into that issue when installing an exhaust brake. Glad you will get it handled before you have an issue.

Sarge

Glad you checked, cause I have learned something too. Now I know that the valve spring problem affected the "C" engine as well as the "B".

And you learned why we don't trust CW very much for engine work.

Okay, so how about a further update.  I made a call to Cummins South today and gave them my engine number to see what they would say about my valve springs.  They said that my engine does have the 60lb springs and they should be just fine for use with an exhaust brake.  It looks like Gary was right all along.  I guess I will take Cummins word over PacBrakes word on this issue.  So I will go ahead with having the installation done. 

Back
Top Bottom