Lesson Learned on Quality - now I need suggestions for next TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JediRocker

While our KZ Sportsman Lite bumper pull has brought my family many fun experiences, it is an ongoing repair project. For example, last month, while camping, the kids were sitting at the dining table eating when the bench seat collapsed. Discovered the thick horizontal support trim had been stapled (by the mfr) to the vertical support...only a small portion of each staple was left for the vertical support. The list is long of repairs I've had to make over the years. But the final blow occurred this past weekend when the camper was hit with softball sized hail in a storm that produced a tornado 20 min earlier (we store it uncovered).

As I walked around the storage facility and examined the other uncovered RVs, I discovered there were 3 types:

1) ones with aluminum/metal siding beaten to heck, and broken windows (mine falls in this category)
2) ones with fiberglass siding barely damaged, and broken windows
3) ones with fiberglass siding barely damaged, and NO broken windows (thicker glass?)

In addition to the damaged siding and windows on our TT, the roof support wood is soft, indicating water damage. Based on the assessment from the storage facility repair service guy, the cost to repair my trailer exceeds the value of the trailer. I meet with the insurance adjuster tomorrow and expect the same assessment.

My next travel trailer purchase will have to be fiberglass siding. But here's where I need suggestions. What manufacturers use:

- higher quality windows that don't shatter so easily
- higher quality cabinetry
- metal/brass faucet fixtures (had to replace all of mine due to cheap plastic fixtures breaking and leaking)
- higher quality electric breaker/supply (our breakers pop a lot)
- bathroom/shower big enough for a 6' adult to fit in

Thanks in advance.

You can view the hail damage here:
http://www.visualuniverse.org/tmp/rv/1.jpg
http://www.visualuniverse.org/tmp/rv/2.jpg

-PJ

JediRocker said:
My next travel trailer purchase will have to be fiberglass siding. But here's where I need suggestions. What manufacturers use:

- higher quality windows that don't shatter so easily
- higher quality cabinetry
- metal/brass faucet fixtures (had to replace all of mine due to cheap plastic fixtures breaking and leaking)
- higher quality electric breaker/supply (our breakers pop a lot)
- bathroom/shower big enough for a 6' adult to fit in

Few if any rigs can reliably withstand softball sized hail without serious damage.

If you like TTs you might consider Airstream.  The internal buildout -- cabinets, fixtures -- is better than other TTs and similar to the higher end class As.

The RV industry as a whole has a quality problem and everyone has to deal with screws that are missing or don't hit whatever they're supposed to hit, and so on.

Looking at that damage, if PJ lives where hailstorms are common, I would think he would be in the market for an armored personnel carrier.  However,  if he persists in looking for a RV trailer instead of a Stryker, I would second Jammer's suggestion of looking at the Airstreams.  They are rugged units with a decent rep for QC and construction.

I can't comment about TT brands, but the windows that didn't break possibly were dual-pane.  I should think they'd withstand such a beating a little better than single-pane.

ArdraF

I, for one just love the looks of the Airstreams and the quality looks fantastic as far as the ones I looked at an RV show. But the pricetag for the 28 footer we looked at was $75,000. Yikes! I know you get what you pay for, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that for a TT. I opted for a Keystone Bullet and I do see quality issues in it, but so far everything has been great.

Interesting to read the comments about Airstream because the travel trailer that suffered the most damage in the section where my RV is stored is an Airstream. The entire front window became detached, and the silver shell took on deeper dents than any of the others.

Lots of good things being  said about Prime Time RV's. Jump over to Forest Rivers Forums and see what they are saying. If I were in the market it would be my choice.

JediRocker said:
Interesting to read the comments about Airstream because the travel trailer that suffered the most damage in the section where my RV is stored is an Airstream. The entire front window became detached, and the silver shell took on deeper dents than any of the others.

Ach zo!

Well back to the research:  Were there any Strykers in the storage yard?  M113s?

I think the ones without broken windows probably had safety glass it's harder to break and if broken doesn't go anywhere.
I like the forest river products but they will still have issues too.

I'm pretty sure the Airstreams don't have fiberglass siding, which was specifically listed as a requirement.

You can go to the dealers lot, and shop by price. The most expensive ones will have fiberglass siding, metal fixtures, hardwood cabinetry, and maybe upgraded breakers.

Koodog said:
Lots of good things being  said about Prime Time RV's. Jump over to Forest Rivers Forums and see what they are saying. If I were in the market it would be my choice.

koodog...or anyone.......I am intereste in Prime Time's...........how do I jum to the Forest Rivers forum?

sorry, I am new today.

First look up Forest River and or Prime Time Forum on the internet. Then register. Its free and you can ask your questions. I believe the President of Prime Time is a member of the FR Forum and monitors the site. As far as Airstreams go, while they are a nice unit, I've seen many on e-bay sold as salvage because of hail damage. Just like a car that got caught in a hail storm with metal shell. Also you may want to consider a Arctic Fox or Nash trailer.

Some units on the market are using a sealed dual pane plastic acrylic window that also has an interior slide down screen / slide up reflective cover. We have them on our Heartland Edge, and I saw them on other manufacturers units as well. They would most certainly be far more resistant to hail, but I wonder how the plastic will hold up over time, specifically scratches and cloudiness.
The results of hail are the equivalent of someone taking a baseball bat to the trailer. Damage will happen to any trailer, but I agree that the fibreglass exteriors stand a better chance of sustaining less damage.

Looks to me like you have all the information to buy a unit that will satisfy your quality concerns.  Nothing like maintaining a vehicle for a period of time to point out poor design, or poor quality.  Looking at a new rig at the dealer (I always suggest a show where side-by-side comparisons are easier) and really inspecting it can give you the information on quality. 

A few things I've learned to look at - Does the wiring look neat and organized, or are their bundles of wiring behind the sink or converter, wiring pulled across underside that should have been secured?  Are wood braces cracked by screws or staples?  Is there excessive caulk covering poor fitting trim.  Are their screw-heads dog-eared out from poor workmanship?  If you stand back and look at the rig, are lights, trim, windows in line and mounted straight?  Are the axles sized with enough extra capacity or are they the minimum for the weight of the trailer?  Are the axles provided with shock absorbers? 

I'm a professional QA/QC person, and travel the country (and a few places outside the US) to buy transit vehicles, commuter rail cars, locomotives, and subway cars.  My experience is that if it "doesn't look right" it most likely isn't.  Finally, it is possible to make and sell a perfect RV.  Problem is no one can afford it.  Quality is what we, as consumers are willing to accept.  You may want a Lexus, I may think a Ford is fine, both of us will be happy if our expectations of quality are met, neither if the vehicle is a lemon.

johncmr

Don't go Gulf Stream if you are looking for quality.  Check out Sunny Brook and Heartland brands.  Since I bought my Gulf Stream, my dealer has started carrying these brands and he is very impressed with the fit and finish.  You can check his site out at http://www.grandviewtrailersales.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom