how to repair a quarter size hole in the rv filon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram1500

What is the best way to fix a hole in the side of the rv? Can filon be patched with a gel cote kit?

I'm not sure what "filon" is, but I've seen some pretty nifty fiberglass repair kits in West Marine.  I haven't seen the same in Campers World.  The kits give you everything you need, including the disposable gloves.  I've done some minor repairs using their kit's and it was pretty easy, just a little messy.  Hope that's helpful.

Gel coat is just the surfsace, not the underlying surface.  Is this from removing something or something like rock damage. 

Had such a hole in the back of my Class C several years back. Backed up into a pole that pushed the handle bar of my bike right through the fiberglass causing just about a quarter sized hole. I just covered it until time to trade and then looked at my alternatives.

The patch kit was not meant for that sized hole and a novice fixer person  :) - and turned out to be a real mess. Support has to be placed behind the patch, mesh then applied over the the hole and so forth. Finally, the color is not the same as the rig.

I then asked several body repair places and the cost was huge -- between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. When they explained what had to be done to do it right I could see how the costs would add up.

I wound up discussing it with the fellow I traded RV's with and we agreed that the rig I would be getting would have some problems as well so it was a wash -- plus he was a dealer and could either have it done cheaper or he said he might just wholesale the rig.

You can use the automotive body putty (aka bondo) that is available in auto parts stores.  You may have to put mesh or fiberglass cloth & resin behind the hole to support it if the hole is large, but small holes can be filled with just the putty. Leave the fill surface low and top fill with a gel coat kit colored to match, or fill it level and just paint to match. Neither is likely to be perfect color match, though. That's why the pro shops charge a lot for these "small" jobs. It takes time and expertise to get it right.

Or fill the hole with caulk and put something over it to cover it. Might be a good place for a decal or other decorative item!

I've seen it done with a "wilkie" button, available at many ACE hardware stores. paint to match as close as possible, make sure hole is round and sized properly,apply a small amount of sealant around perimeter and snap into place, clean up excess sealant.>>>Dan

I also backed into something and the handle bar on the bike rack went into the motor home and left a hole about the size of a half dollar.

You can always go to a GOOD hardware store and buy a white  black or chrome plug.  If the hole is not perfectly round, take a hole saw and make it so.  Then caulk the edges of the plug, clean up around it and your done. If someone asks, it is just an access hole.  ;D

Depending on the location of the hole, you could bondo the hole and cover it with a small decal, such as the American Flag or your State Flag. I have two Missouri State flags covering boo boos on my ol Bounder.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom