EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: EZ PASS Info???  (Read 3786 times)

DieselJay

• ---
EZ PASS Info???
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:25:44 AM »
I'm looking into a Ez Pass to go cross country, I live in CT if I get a Pass for this area will it work for me anywhere in the U.S.?  And can you use a Pass with a 5th wheel trailer?  If the big rigs are able to use Ez Pass, I'm assuming you can do this, but not sure?  Thanks for your help on this.
2011 Dodge 2500HD Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 322 QBS
40 Days,19 States,8,920 miles, and over 40 Sites seen

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
Re: EZ PASS Info???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »
EZ Pass works wherever EZ Pass is in use, but that is not every toll road in the USA. Florida, for example, does not use the EZ Pass system. It's mostly a northeast thing, plus Ohio, Illinois & Virginia. Map here:
http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/facilities.shtml

You won't encounter any toll roads to speak of west of Illinois anyway, and you can pretty much avoid them west of NY.

I don't know how they handle trailers but obviously they do (trucks  use it).  Probably just count axles. The EZ Pass web site can probably tell you.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
When we were looking into EZPass for our cancelled trip I found that each transponder was configured to a specific vehicle or combination.  You would have one for the truck and a separate one for the truck and 5er.  You have to have the one you are not using in a special shielded container to prevent both from being billed while traveling. 

The last time we were in the NE, we avoided all tolls except a few bridges and I believe one short segment on I-94 north of Chicago.  It can be done but may take a little longer.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
2001 Dutch Star
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Belgrade, MT

WhiteEagle

• ---
  • John & Alice
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »
I believe the EZ pass can be registered for up to 3 different vehicles...
2009 AB 40QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000-2 stage Jake Brake-Michelin 295R80 22.5-Pressure Pro System-Jeep GC Toad-Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking System-10K Genset-AquaHot-4 Panel Solar-SurgeGuard. Northern WI base
Everything's Relative
Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
E-ZPass tag requirements vary with the state and agency issuing them. In NY for instance, tags issued by the NY/NJ Port Authority have a $1 per month account fee, but those issued by the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority have no monthly fee. The NY Thruway Authority also has a special E-ZPass plan for RV's that discounts tolls for 5'vrs, and only charges motorhomes the standard passenger vehicle per axle tolls. You must use specially assigned tags for the RV plan though. Neither NY issuing authority charges a deposit for the tags if you have an automatic replenishment account.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:50 PM »
You won't encounter any toll roads to speak of west of Illinois anyway, and you can pretty much avoid them west of NY.

There is the KS Tollroad around Kansas City, a number of toll roads between Tulsa and Oklahoma City, I think Denver may have one or two and there are a couple in the LA area.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »
There is the KS Tollroad around Kansas City, a number of toll roads between Tulsa and Oklahoma City, I think Denver may have one or two and there are a couple in the LA area.

And New York's EZ-Pass does not work on any of them.

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »
And New York's EZ-Pass does not work on any of them.

R
E-ZPass (I-Pass in IL) works only in the 14 states that issue them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:37 AM »

The toll road (E-470) in the Denver area now uses video of the license plate -- you get a bill in the mail somewhat later.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder 44 Saratoga
2003 Wrangler toad
  de N8GGG

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:49 AM »
I was very pleased when they came out with the towing tags. It's very easy to switch back and forth. In NY, the regular tag is an off-white color and the towing tag is blue.  As mentioned, just keep the unused one in the foil bag to avoid a possible duplicate reading.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2010 North Country 27BHS TT

DieselJay

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
2011 Dodge 2500HD Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 322 QBS
40 Days,19 States,8,920 miles, and over 40 Sites seen