Desert Valley RV Park
EPDM Coatings
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Hydralic Jacks wont go down  (Read 2890 times)

wilcoxks

• ---
Hydralic Jacks wont go down
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
We took our RV on vacation in February and everything worked fine.  It sat until a couple weeks ago.  We took it to the lake and the Hydralic Jacks wouldn't go down.   Anyone have any ideas?

Willie1971

• ---
Re: Hydralic Jacks wont go down
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
Do you have power to them?  Check fuse.  Mine is right on the controller box.  I know my hydraulic pump was changed once by previous owner.  Not sure if there is a relay or not for that.  Fuse. Relay. Pump. Or wires. 

If you have a meter you can test the voltage at the connection to the pump.  See if it is getting juice.

That's the first thing I would try. 

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is good in Fallbrook!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:08 PM »
Also check the hydraulic fluid level. Another simple place to start.
2013 Phaeton 36GH
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2014
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Marsha/CA

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:46:48 PM »
Sarge is right, check the hydraulic fluid level first. 

Marsha~

Allegro Bus Diesel Pusher with Hyundai Tucson SUV toad. 
In case of necessity, alternate transportation is available in the form of 1 old horse.

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:02:06 AM »
when you hit the button do you here sound? if so the electric if working. On my Bounder the house battries have to have a full charge to pull the solenoids in

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
Make sure the ignition key is off, the brake is set and the transmission in Park. Many rigs have an interlock to prevent the jacks from going down unless some or all of those conditions are met.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »
Make sure the ignition key is off,

My Bounder has an interlock that won't let the jacks (or the slide, for that matter) operate without the ignition ON, preferably running, though the emergency brake must be on, and transmission in PARK.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder 44 Saratoga
2003 Wrangler toad
  de N8GGG

wilcoxks

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.   I will check those things and report back  :)

wilcoxks

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
When we push the down button the red light comes on and when you push the lever to engage the jack you can hear a click but nothing happens.

Molaker

• ---
    • WanderLust
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
When we push the down button the red light comes on and when you push the lever to engage the jack you can hear a click but nothing happens.
Sounds like the pump motor might be bad.  Sometimes DC motors stop on a dirty or defective segment on the commutator or have worn brushes and won't start.  Try tapping on the motor with a hammer or heavy-ish tool while someone hits the engage lever.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 24' class B

Paul & Ann

• ---
    • Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »
What brand of jacks do you have?

Paul

Gordon Groff

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
I guess all unit's interlocks are different.  My 2010 Allegro has to have the engine running and parking brake engaged for them to etxtend.  I even found out that if I shut the engine off during the retract, they stop retracting!  When it's cold out, it takes a real long time for them to get up to "travel mode".  I have to let the rig sit idling till they get all the way up.  Almost went down the road with the jacks partially extended.  It's the same for my slides.  I have to crank up the engine to run the slides in or out.

I hope the OP got his fixed!

Gordon
Gordon and Sweet Nancy
2010 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA
2010 Honda CRV Toad
8Lb. Papillon

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 10:29:32 AM »
Quote from: Gordon Groff
I guess all unit's interlocks are different. 

Gordon, my old Bounder is interlocked very similar to yours.  I have extra battery capacity, so I only need to have the ignition on, but don't require the engine to actually be running.  My slide does not require the ignition to be on, but does require the transmission and parking break interlock.

Maybe NOT so similar after all ;D :-\
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

wilcoxks

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
After checking everything we thought might be the problem and replacing 3 parts we finally discovered it was a bad battery cable, not letting the batteries get a full charge and so the jacks wouldn't operate.   As soon as my husband cleaned the cable (soaked it in baking soda and water) to get all the corrosion off and then put it back on everything worked fine ;-)

lezmark

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »
I blew a fuse once and they wouldnt go UP while dry camping! I have carried a drill with the correct size socket ever since to manually raise or lower them in case of problems...
2006 Newmar Scottsdale, 1994 Grand Cherokee toad (GR8 TOAD)