At what temperature does wax melt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wgb1

My wife and I left last Friday towing the TT for a park about 3 hours away from home. Before we left the house, we put our 2 dachshunds outside in the back yard and my wife adjusted our home thermostat for around 82 degrees. We don't want the air running a bunch while we are away, but at the same time, we don't want the house to be scorching upon our return.

We had a great weekend, but as we were nearing home, we encountered thunder and lightning and, of course, my thoughts turned to the dogs since one of them has a terrible fear of thunder. She will tear the screens off the back patio windows attempting to get in the house. As I was driving the street toward the house, I asked the wife if she would get out when we passed the house to get the dogs inside and I would then continue on down the street and turn the rig around and come back and park.

Well, I parked on the street and walked up to the house only to find my wife frantically opening windows and doors and adjusting the thermostat. I was wondering what heck could be happening when it struck me at the door. The heat was absolutely horrible. I could not believe how hot it was in the house. Most of the decorative candles throughout the house had melted into puddles of wax. One bowl that held 3 candles was nothing more than a bowl of liquid wax. Another on the kitchen counter was a mere puddle. Several on metal wall sconces had fallen over and melted on the floor. I then noticed the microwave vent fan would not turn off. The low and high speed worked, but no off. A light was flashing on the DirecTv receiver. When I turned on the TV, the receiver would not turn on, but had a message on the TV screen stating temperature at boot-up was 149 degrees therefore unsafe to boot. Well above the safe operating temperature of 122 degrees as stated on the TV screen. Eventually the house began to cool with fans in windows, open doors and the AC set to its lowest setting. The microwave vent fan eventually shut itself off. The AC unit ran for over an hour without turning off. I began to think it needed a break and turned it off manually. There was so much residual heat in the walls, floors and furniture that the inside temperature shot up quickly again. Finally, after about 4 1/2 hours the house began to get slightly comfy.

We haven't a clue what might have happened. My wife said when she walked in the door the heat was running and this with record setting temps of 101 - 103 during the weekend combined to heat the house to an unbearable temperature. Even all the house plants were dead. I only wish I knew what could have happened while we were away and when this started. Our AC guy suspects the thermostat, but can't be sure. I would certainly like to have known what the temperature was when we walked in. I know it wouldn't have been as high as 149 degrees as stated by the satellite receiver, but it couldn't have been far off since all the candles were mostly completely melted away and all the plants were totally dead.

The dogs were outside.

A bit of searching shows candle was melts around 125 American.

Voice of experience say the temps at which wax melts all depends...... I have a home in Yuma AZ and I always put my candles in refirg when  leavingf or the summer.  The  heat inside has measured 105 and some of the  cheap wax candles will loose their shape.  I  recently purchased inexpensive flameless candles that I left in windsheild area of  motorhome  while in TX with temps in the high 80's.  Darn candle is now a very funky shape. 

I'd say if any candle got to 149 degrees it would be a liquid.  Wax is a substance very fragile in the heat.

Agree with Betty - different wax composites melt at different temps. We have seen them wilt at around 100 degrees or less.

I can't imagine what would happen if a house got to 149+.  That's car interior temps and requires special measures for many materials and most all electronics to survive.  I suggest you report it to your insurer - you likely have expensive and long term damage that you will be finding for months to come.

The reason your vent fan on the microwave would not shut off is that most of them have a high temp switch that automatically turns the fan on when the temp gets to a certain point to help keep the microwave cool.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I suggest you report it to your insurer - you likely have expensive and long term damage that you will be finding for months to come.

I have not contacted the insurance company yet. We had a lightning strike several years ago and found bad outlets and such for many months afterward. I even found a hole in the roof large enough to stick my hand in while installing Christmas lights last year. It was covered by a shingle and went un-noticed. Fortunately, it was underneath an overhang from a dormer, so it never leaked

It took me 2 years to finally figure out the path taken by the lightning. It was a puzzle that pieced itself together over that period as we found different things inside as well as outside.

catblaster said:
Looking on the bright side...if you had any bed bugs they have been cooked away. Good thing you checked when you did!!

LOL!! That is exactly what I told my wife that same evening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom