EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Slideout Awning Fabric Replacement  (Read 10470 times)

washtubman

• ---
  • Jerry and Annette
Slideout Awning Fabric Replacement
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
Got on the roof of the motorhome to wash it and saw that my large slideout awning fabric has come unsewn where it meets the coach.  It is just held on at both ends about 12 inches and I'm sure that won't last long.  So, my question is:  Has anyone replaced the fabric themselves on their slideout awning?  And, if so, was it very difficult, any tips, etc?  Mine is a Carefree.  I tried a search, but nothing very relevant came up.  Thanks. 
Jerry
USAF Retired E-8
06 Holiday Rambler Vacationer PST (Gas)
07 HHR Toad

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: Slideout Awning Fabric Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
Fairly easy to do..   If it's a slide topper and the fabric 1" from the edge is in good condition you may need nothing more than a seamstress.

here is how.  First you need to "Hyper extend" about six inches,, (Pull extra out) and lock the roller tube.. You will need to inspect to see how to do that but basically you insert a small bolt into a hole (or a pin)

Then you can disconnect the roller assembley from the slide out, again there are enough different ways to bolt that on you are going to have to figure it out.

Next slightly open the channel where the fabric joins the RV main body about 1-2 inches from the end of the fabric, either end.  You will need to remove two screws that are near the end.. Now with a helper you simply slide the whole thing to the channel part you spread open and pull it out.

The seamstress then removes the rib, (Rubber or plastic tube or rod) cuts the bad part off, Folds and re-seams and re-inserts the rib in the new channel.

RE-assembly is the reverse of disassembly.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
As John says, you can remove the fabric and have it resewn. You may want to trim off the first couple inches to get more solid fabric for the new end seam.  I've attached instructions for removing a Carefree SOK II slide topper. If you have a different model, I may have instructions for that as well.

If you need new fabric, PPL Motorhomes Parts dept is a good source.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
Another source for new fabric is Tough Top Awnings.  We had our slide topper replaced this past winter in Yuma by them and the fabric is much heavier than the OE fabric.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »
To follow up on Ned's comments I replaced our slide toppers with Tough Top Awnings using their instructions. Had a friend help and we had the two slides redone in about 45 or 50 minutes.

I like the thicker material as it does not flop around in the wind and they have a much wider selection of colors than the OEMs.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:17:47 PM by Jeff »

seabreeze331

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »
I replaced my toppers from Ray's Mobile RV Repair.com. Very reasonable price and he's helpful with installation instructions
Durwood  (Dt)
2002 American Eagle 40T
15 Acadia/ 06 Z71 crewcab (where I go dictates what I tow)
Hail from the North (North Carolina) transplanted to the FL panhandle

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
 Ray's makes the Tough Top Awning.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:17:06 PM by Jeff »

seabreeze331

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
Ray's makes the Tough Top Awning.

Does that mean I'm still not too old to learn something new? I feel younger already :-*
Durwood  (Dt)
2002 American Eagle 40T
15 Acadia/ 06 Z71 crewcab (where I go dictates what I tow)
Hail from the North (North Carolina) transplanted to the FL panhandle

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
And Ray is a nice guy too.  He installed our slide topper in Yuma, personally.  He does other RV service work too.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

ownb

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 01:16:11 AM »
We found the same thing on our slide cover awnings last year. The bottom thread was deteriated and the awnings were just held on by the end screws.  We took them off as described above and I stitched them on my sewing machine myself.  The only cost was the special, UV Resistant thread and the heavy, canvas needles.  So far, so good and it has been over a year. 

washtubman

• ---
  • Jerry and Annette
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 06:42:31 AM »
I don't have the documentation on my slide out canopies, so not sure which model I have.  How do I find that out?
Jerry
USAF Retired E-8
07 HHR Toad

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »
I don't have the documentation on my slide out canopies, so not sure which model I have.  How do I find that out?

Just measure the length of the topper fabric and how deep it is when extended. Ray will figure out the rest.

washtubman

• ---
  • Jerry and Annette
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
Well, I got the job done!  Had to modify Carefree's instructions a bit, but I didn't have to buy a new awning cover.  Took it to the local upholstery shop, they cut off about 2" from the end and resewed it all around.  $20.00, so I'm a happy camper once again!  One thing about owning a MH is that you're never bored....... 
Jerry
USAF Retired E-8
07 HHR Toad

Hosted by Over The Network